Forum Xamarin.iOS
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

How to test/debug IPhone from Visual Studio 2017 (Windows)?

FadiHaniFadiHani USMember ✭✭
edited August 2018 in Xamarin.iOS

I have a Xamarin.IOS project which I am developing on Visual Studio 2017 on my Windows machine.

I have set up the connection to the iMac in the other room and I can build the application and I've set up all the provisioning and certificate stuff yada yada..

Now how can I run/debug the app on the iPhone that is connected via USB to my Windows machine? Visual Studio doesn't seem to recognize it. It does however recognize it when I connect the iPhone via USB to the Mac machine but I can't be moving from room to room everytime I need to test a little change?

Is there a way to do that or I misunderstood something?

Answers

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@FadiHani said:

You can use wifi debugging for this if the mac and iPhone are on the same network.

• FadiHaniFadiHani USMember ✭✭

@JohnHair said:

@FadiHani said:

You can use wifi debugging for this if the mac and iPhone are on the same network.

Sure. That could work. Do you know how I can set that up?

For anyone else, the answer to that is in this stackoverflow question: How do you perform wireless debugging in Xcode 9 with iOS 11, Apple TV 4K, etc?

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

@FadiHani said:
    For anyone else, the answer to that is in this stackoverflow question: How do you perform wireless debugging in Xcode 9 with iOS 11, Apple TV 4K, etc?

Nicely done Fadi, I Liked your post as you found the answer to your second question yourself (ans posted it here for others to find) after I gave you the answer to the first. Too many people on here expect to be spoon-fed the answers, you however took the initiative and researched the answer yourself.

No I rarely post forum questions except as a last resort - it takes too long to get answers.

I managed to setup remote debugging and quite impressed that Apple thought of the feature.
    I had never heard of it and I wasn't even sure if that was something to setup on the Mac or in Visual Studio itself but thanks again for the tip!

Let's see what other interesting hurdles await us.