Build Times Greatly Increase with Components

Has anybody else noticed that build times become terrible with components? Maybe not all components, but I know the Google Play Services cause this. I tested this using just the standard Android Application project template. I immediately do a rebuild, and it takes ~4 seconds. Perfect. I add the Google Play Services component and do another rebuild. Now it takes anywhere from 50 to 65 seconds.

I can understand a small increase in the build time because of components, but a 1150% increase in build time, there's got to be something wrong, right?

I was going to file this as a bug, but there isn't a sub-category for components in Bugzilla.

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger USMember, Forum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai

Hi @RyanAlford.1242,

That seems like an unusually long time indeed. Just tried this myself and got a build time of about 14 seconds after adding GooglePlayServices. This is using Xamarin Studio on a Mac with Fast Assembly Deployment enabled in Project Options -> Build -> Android Build page. This is just building without deploying.

Also, I have noticed that when adding the GooglePlayService library, I have to increase the Java heap size (Project Options -> Build -> Android Build -> Advanced tab). Before I did that it did take about 50 seconds for the build after adding GooglePlayServices... but the build failed due to too small a Java heap size.

Some more information about your environment might be helpful in figuring out why it is taking so long to build with GooglePlayServices on your system.

• ErikFAndersenErikFAndersen DKMember ✭✭

Android compilation is really slow compared to iOS. I suspect it is the resource compilation that take so long.