Is there planned support for WPF in the XAML Previewer tool?

Title pretty much sums it up - just wondering if there's an ETA (assuming it's even planned) for WPF support in the Xamarin.Forms Previewer tool in Visual Studio. Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Pretty sure the Previewer is dead. It never worked well enough to be worthwhile and stopped going anywhere.
    XAMLReload is the current tech they're working on and so for its being pretty impressive-Comparitively speaking.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/xamarin-forms/xaml/live-reload

• aplocheraplocher Member

Ahh thank you. I still don't see anything with WPF, but I'm not entirely sure I'm using it correctly either (just loaded up the Preview Extension in VS). I've just loaded up a new Xamarin project for the first time yesterday, so I would definitely consider myself a n00b in terms of Xamarin. lol

Everything is very mobile based (which is obviously because that's what they do, or have done at least), but I'm doing a proof of concept on the feasibility and ease of development for a cross platform WPF / GTK# app, so 100% desktop still. Their docs/tools/ecosystem definitely doesn't take kindly to my kind 'round here :smile:

Anyway, I digress... thanks, I'll keep an eye on this project.

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

I come from 15 years of WPF on Windows as well.

Try to think of Xamarin as "lowest common denominator" which includes mobile devices.
    So if iOS doesn't have a checkbox, then its not included... Mobile paradigm doesn't include drop down menus, or NumericUpDown spinners... So guess what... They don't exist at a generic level that you could implement across the board.

I got into Xamarin all confident that it was just another XAML/MVVM system that I had decades of experience with - so how tough could it be? Boy was I mistaken. Take my advice: Jump on Xamarin University and live there for the next couple months. You don't need to be watching "American Ninja Warrior" or "Real Housewives of Podunk" when you could be watching Xamarin training. At least that was my approach so I could get in and get up to speed as fast as possible.