Announcing Xamarin.Android 9.0 (P) Preview

JonDouglasJonDouglas USXamarin Team, University, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

We just released our blog on Announcing Xamarin.Android 9.0 (P) Preview. We'd love to hear your thoughts on the new Android P features. What do you like? What do you not like? We'd love to hear your opinions on what you think is most important when upgrading your Android applications to support Android P.

Read the blog here: https://blog.xamarin.com/xamarin-android-9-0-p-preview/

• mwesolowskimwesolowski PLMember ✭✭
    edited August 2018

@JonDouglas

After switching to Beta on channel on Mac I can't build binding project in VS studio. I'm getting only one undescriptive error when using Build button (when Rebuild it never ends):

---------------------- Done ----------------------

Build failed.
    Build: 1 error, 0 warnings

When building from command line it works...

To reproduce the issue just create new Android Library project and try to build.

• GontrillGontrill Member

Works like a charm. Thanks!

• JonDouglasJonDouglas USXamarin Team, University, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

@mwesolowski Can you please file a new issue using Visual Studio for Mac's Report a Problem feature or within the Xamarin.Android repository itself? See the following wiki for instructions on how to do that!

https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin-android/wiki/Submitting-Bugs,-Feature-Requests,-and-Pull-Requests#where-to-file-an-issue

@JonDouglas done already. Thanks.

• TonyMcCarthyTonyMcCarthy GBUniversity ✭✭

I believe that Android Pie has now been released. When do we expect to have a release version of Visual Studio that supports it ?

• JonDouglasJonDouglas USXamarin Team, University, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

@TonyMcCarthy This will be available in the next Stable version of Visual Studio and Visual Studio for Mac. Keep your eyes peeled!

@TonyMcCarthy This is now available on both Mac and Windows in the most recent update.

• CrazyIsAs8092CrazyIsAs8092 USUniversity ✭✭

@JonDouglas I am trying to add Slices to our Xamarin.Android app. While I do have the Slices namespace in the latest VS/Mono version, along with those relevant classes, I am not finding the Slices.Builder namespace... Specifically, I need ListBuilder to create a simple Slice.

Am I missing something and/or is there a plan to include them in the future? I switched to the Mono.Android 9.1 in alpha, but don't see it there either... Any direction you can provide will be much appreciated!

@CrazyIsAs8092 To clarify this, Android is headed in a new direction with what is known as "Android Extensions(AndroidX)". Thus many of these "Android Pie" features are actually included in AndroidX libraries for the API level(i.e. API 28 libraries).

For these classes such as ListBuilder, SliceAction, etc; they are included in the androidx.slice:slice-builders:1.0.0-rc01 package. Since these packages are still in RC, we do not have full bindings available for them yet. They will be made available on NuGet as soon as possible.

@JonDouglas Thank you for taking the time to provide that additional information. We will be eagerly awaiting their arrival!

@JonDouglas I hope you have been well! Any word on when we might expect the AndroidX libraries to be made available via NuGet?