Problems with Missing AppIcons Files

I suddenly started getting error messages like this on an iPhone app I'm developing under VS 2017 (15.7.4):

File not found: /Users/mark/Library/Caches/Xamarin/mtbs/builds/iPhoneRide/50bab16523556b11bd69dd3e7138b995/Assets.xcassets/AppIcons.appiconset/Icon152.png

For fun, and a lack of being able to think of anything else to try, I went into the Mac that's acting as my build server and deleted everything under /Users/mark/Library/Caches/Xamarin/mtbs/builds/iPhoneRide. The problem still occurs when the solution is rebuilt.

How do I fix this? And what's causing it (so I can avoid running into it in the future)?

  • Mark

Best Answer

  • ChairmanMAOChairmanMAO ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

    Well, turns out it's yet another bizarre Xamarin bug: for whatever reason, the project file (iPhoneRide.csproj, in my case) wasn't being updated by VS as it related to the various image files in use. Somehow, a bunch of entries related to non-existent files (like Icon152.png) got added, and when the compiler couldn't find them, it got unhappy.

    The solution was to edit the csproj file to remove the bogus entries. That solved the problem and let the project build.

    It's unreal how many bugs, glitches, weird behaviors and whatnot Xamarin has. I think it must be the poorest quality development system ever released by Microsoft. And if it isn't the poorest, it's definitely in the top three.

Answers

  • ManojkumarMaliManojkumarMali USMember ✭✭✭

    Hi,
    Exclude the Assets.xcassets folder from your application.
    Keep required images in resources folder.

  • ChairmanMAOChairmanMAO Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

    Well, turns out it's yet another bizarre Xamarin bug: for whatever reason, the project file (iPhoneRide.csproj, in my case) wasn't being updated by VS as it related to the various image files in use. Somehow, a bunch of entries related to non-existent files (like Icon152.png) got added, and when the compiler couldn't find them, it got unhappy.

    The solution was to edit the csproj file to remove the bogus entries. That solved the problem and let the project build.

    It's unreal how many bugs, glitches, weird behaviors and whatnot Xamarin has. I think it must be the poorest quality development system ever released by Microsoft. And if it isn't the poorest, it's definitely in the top three.

  • RavinderSingh.3930RavinderSingh.3930 USMember ✭✭

    @ChairmanMAO it is working, thanks for the solution

Sign In or Register to comment.