Automatic Provisioning Not Working in VS 2017 for Windows

ChairmanMAOChairmanMAO Member ✭✭

I am trying to build a Xamarin iOS app. I have a Mac on my LAN that I'm using as a build server. It has all the necessary software installed, because I can pair it with Visual Studio 2017 for Windows, version 15.7.4. I am running High Sierra 10.13.5 on the Mac build server. There are no pending updates for XCode or VS 2017.

Unfortunately, the automatic provisioning doesn't work. I've seen reference to Xamarin's implementation currently not supporting the free Apple Developer accounts, which is what I initially set up. However, even after upgrading to a paid Apple Developer account, Xamarin still refuses to "see" the Team defined on my Mac build server (this is under the project properties binding page, as I recall; I'd be more precise but, once again, opening the Xamarin solution in VS has locked it up so hard that I'll probably have to reboot my machine to get VS to close -- does anyone bother to test commercial software before releasing it anymore??). It complains about not being able to connect to the build server, which is weird because Pair to Mac reports a valid, active connection.

What do I need to do to get this to work properly? Other than give up on Xamarin and learn Swift... :)

Best Answer

• ChairmanMAOChairmanMAO ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

I got the build/deploy process to work, finally. I'm not sure how. I think it involved deleting and re-adding my Apple Developer account to Visual Studio 2017 on Windows. It may also have involved creating a new project within XCode on my Mac (I did both this things on the theory that upgrading my Apple Developer account from Free to Paid was causing a problem).

Answers

• ChairmanMAOChairmanMAO Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

I got the build/deploy process to work, finally. I'm not sure how. I think it involved deleting and re-adding my Apple Developer account to Visual Studio 2017 on Windows. It may also have involved creating a new project within XCode on my Mac (I did both this things on the theory that upgrading my Apple Developer account from Free to Paid was causing a problem).