Introducing Xamarin.Essentials: Core Cross-Platform Native APIs for All Apps

JamesMontemagnoJamesMontemagno USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

Xamarin.Essentials APIs provide access to over 30 native features from a single cross-platform API library, which can be accessed from shared code no matter how the user interface is created. This means you can use Xamarin.Essentials APIs with a single Xamarin.Android app or a Xamarin.Forms app targeting iOS, Android, and UWP. Even though it’s packed with features, it’s still fully optimized for performance and minimal impact on app size, because the library takes full advantage of being linker safe. This means only the APIs and features you use will be included in your app and the rest will be removed when you compile your app.

Xamarin.Essentials gives you instant access to APIs from your shared code such as Sensors, Connectivity, App/Device Info, Preferences, Secure Storage (Keychain), Open Browser, Text-to-Speech, Geolocation, and so much more.

Links:

• MichaelLopez.8911MichaelLopez.8911 USUniversity ✭✭

Hi, James. This looks really nice. I saw your video from this weeks Xamarin Newsletter.

I guess Xamarin.Essentials will replace using Xamarin's Dependency Service where there exists an API for particluar functionality (e.g. TextToSpeech, etc.)?

• HelgeKeckHelgeKeck DEMember ✭✭

no mac support?

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Permissions. I know you have a permissions nuget already. I'm just surprised to see it wasn't rolled into this. Permissions seem kinda essential.

• mattleibowmattleibow ZAXamarin Team Xamurai

@ClintStLaurent Permissions are automatically requested and checked.

• DannieIbangaDannieIbanga Member ✭✭
    Hello James, whenever I try getting xamarin.essential from nuget, it crashes my app and I'm left with no other option but to restart a new project.. For now , I just stopped using it