A beginner's question, which development way should I use for my application?

Hello,

I am a newbie to Xamarin but I have some experience of Java(eclipse) for Android apps development. Now I would like to rewrite my project to Xamarin for more portable. But after some searching, I am confused about lots of information. So I list my requirement and see if someone could give me any suggestion.

1. I would like to make my application run on both Android and iOS mobile devices. I know that Xamarin has two major developing method, Xamarin.Forms and Xamarin.Android/iOS. As my understanding, Xamarin.Forms apps have almost identity UI on different platforms, and Xamarin.Android/iOS could make apps more platform specific. My apps just need some simple user interface controls, such like Label, Button, TextEdit, and so on. If I don't use any platform-specific component, should I just choose Xamarin.Forms?

2. I use some 3rd-party external libraries, which are in shared library(*.so, *.dylib) form. But my search results about dynamic load library are all under Xamarin.Android/iOS, not Xamarin.Forms. Does it mean that Xamarin.Forms could not support the dynamic libraries, or the relative functions(dlopen/dlsym, LoadLibrary) are platform-specific? If yes, I cannot just use Xamarin.Forms finishing my project and have to go back to Xamarin.Android/iOS, right?

My questions and requirement may be very simple and basic, but it's really important for me. Please give me some advice, any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you!

Best Regards,
ChenYuChih

Best Answer

Answers

• chenyuchihchenyuchih Member

Thanks for your kindly reply, JGoldberger. Your answer helps me a lot!!

It seems that I misunderstood the Xamarin before. The shared libraries I use is just a plain libraries about some engineering calculation, not UI relative at all. So now I can happily start using Xamarin.Forms to develop my apps. Your recommendation about Xamarin University lessons is also very useful for me. Thank you again for your suggestion and answer.

Sincerely,
    ChenYuChih