Hope someone can help me debug this. (System.ArgumentNullException)

SolomonFriedSolomonFried USMember ✭✭
edited June 2018 in Xamarin.iOS

I have an application that runs in UWP, Android & iOS.
I have added a custom font to the application and included it in info.plist.

The app runs fine in UWP and Android.
When I run the application in iOS, I get the following error in AppDelegate.cs when calling base.FinishedLaunching

Exception:

System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: descriptor occurred

The app still launches, and I can see the fonts that are being used.
If all I do is edit the info.plist to remove the font reference, or just misspell it so that it is not found, then the exception is not thrown. The app still runs but there a "?"s where my font symbols should have been.

I have not been able to reproduce this in a skeletal application, so the problem must be somewhere in m code.

I cannot get VS2017 to break on ArgumentNullException (It basically ignores the exception settings when running an iOS emulator)

Is there a log somewhere that would contain the exception details?
Is there an option to emit a trace?

Any help is appreciated.

Best Answer

• SolomonFriedSolomonFried US ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Update:
    After a week if tracking down an ArgumentNullException in my app that I suspected was related to my custom fonts,
    I finally found that the Button containing the font had a Style with a FontAttribute set to BOLD.
    I removed that attribute and the exception is no longer being thrown.

Not sure if this is an iOS or Xamarin issue. The app works fine on UWP and Android.

Answers

• SolomonFriedSolomonFried USMember ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Update:
    After a week if tracking down an ArgumentNullException in my app that I suspected was related to my custom fonts,
    I finally found that the Button containing the font had a Style with a FontAttribute set to BOLD.
    I removed that attribute and the exception is no longer being thrown.

Not sure if this is an iOS or Xamarin issue. The app works fine on UWP and Android.