Forum Xamarin.Android

How do I prevent my project from being rebuilt/packaged/deployed when there have been no changes?

Using VS 2013, latest Xamarin beta (doesn't seem to matter though).

If I make modifications, then hit F5, my project will build and then deploy to the device. Great.

BUT, if I hit the Restart Debugging button (or click Stop Debugging, then again Start Debugging), my project starts a build (not from scratch, as the log says it's skipping some things due to no modification, but it at least takes a long time doing so) and then repackages. This process takes ~40 seconds, plus another 20-30 seconds while it re-deploys to the device.

How do I fix this?

PS. I've worked with far larger Android projects than this in Eclipse, so the timings I listed isn't a problem with my machine not being fast.

PPS. Xamarin also seems to not support attaching the debugger to a running app, is that true?

Answers

• SteveFlackSteveFlack GBMember ✭✭

For the last thing you mention you need to use "Start debugging item" rather than just running it.

• DavidSchwegler.8050DavidSchwegler.8050 USMember
    edited January 2014

For the last thing you mention you need to use "Start debugging item" rather than just running it.

Can you clarify what you are referring to, and what you mean by "start debugging item"? Clicking the Start button has the same effect as F5 for the rebuild/repackage/redeploy issue.

• CheesebaronCheesebaron DKInsider, University mod

Right-click the project and find it in there...

• DavidSchwegler.8050DavidSchwegler.8050 USMember
    edited January 2014

If you mean right-click the project -> Debug -> Start new instance, no that doesn't seem to do anything different than F5 (still rebuilds/repackages/etc).