How to test Xamarin.Forms app created in Visual Studio 2017 on mac ?

AbhiVazeAbhiVaze Member ✭✭

I'm totally new to iOS/mac and all apple related things.

I have created xamarin.forms app in Visual Studio 2017.
It is working perfectly on android.
No I want to test it on iOS.
I have observed that there are two ways
1. Using macIn Cloud
2. On real mac machine.

Because of some reason 1st option is not suitable for me.

So how can I test it on real mac machine ??

Do i need to have visual studio on mac also ? So that I can transfer the code from windows to mac and can run it there ???

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• andnesandnes USMember ✭✭✭

@AbhiVaze said:
    Do i need to have visual studio on mac also ? So that I can transfer the code from windows to mac and can run it there ???

No, as of the latest update of Visual Studio 2017 for Windows you do not need to install Visual Studio for Mac. Visual Studio 2017 will "install" the necessary packages to your mac.

• AbhiVazeAbhiVaze Member ✭✭

@andnes said:

@AbhiVaze said:

No, as of the latest update of Visual Studio 2017 for Windows you do not need to install Visual Studio for Mac. Visual Studio 2017 will "install" the necessary packages to your mac.

Can you please elaborate ???
    So assuming that I transferred my code to mac (using, let's say, git) what steps do I need to perform afterwards ???

@andnes said:
    I mean that you do not need to pull down your code on your Mac (unless you want). If you want to test your iOS app you can do that from your PC by connecting to your Mac via Visual Studio 2017 and running your app on an iOS simulator. You will, however, need to have the code on your Mac if you wish to sign and distribute the app to the App Store.

signing and all that stuff as of now is not required. Thank you for answering :smile:

So both (my windows machine & mac) need to be on same network right ???

• andnesandnes USMember ✭✭✭

No problem! Yes, they need to be on the same network.

@andnes said:
    No problem! Yes, they need to be on the same network.

Ok. Thank You :smile: