Suggestions for sample code and learning

codeRockercodeRocker USMember ✭✭

Hi Guys,
Am new to xamarin forms. Can you point me to sample codes/learning materials relevant to my needs.

• Login/user profile
• Send Email
• List products and Add Products to cart. ( Where to store the images of the products?)
• Basic Report- list reports in grid, generate pdf.
• Add transactions- Payment page
• My application need to work when it is offline. Once internet is back, i need to sync up data with server.
• Azure backend with offline sync.

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

So pretty much everything needed to make a program? That's a big ask. And most of that is nothing Xamarin specific: Its all general coding concepts.

You say you are new to Xamarin. Is it fair to say that you're new to coding in general? Or have you made programs in other environments like WPF, or Android or iOS under their native languages and paradigms?

• codeRockercodeRocker USMember ✭✭

Hi ClintStLaurent,
    I do web development in ASP.NET, but new to Xamarin/wpf.

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Ok. Then what you're trying to do is far too much for a first app.
    You have to start with building a bird house... then a dog house... then an outhouse... shed... garage...
    Before you try to build a 3 story apartment building.

If you have no experience with MVVM design... no experience with databinding code to UI... etc. etc. then you need to first get a handle on that. ASP.net gives you C# experience. But doesn't do anything for building applications that run on devices. Sorry.

Start with working the free textbook from cover to cover.
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/microsoft_press/2016/03/31/free-ebook-creating-mobile-apps-with-xamarin-forms/

Feel free to hit up on-line tutorials sites. There are plenty. Here's mine:

Then just tackle one of those issues at a time in a "Sandbox" or R&D app.
    Start with the first basic need: People
    That's not Xamarin in any way. The need to define a Person class. And then inherit from that for a User class. And you'll want a Rights class to be the permissions for that User object.

List products and Add Products to cart. ( Where to store the images of the products?)

Okay. Make a Product class. Then make a collection of them in your ViewModel: ObservableCollection<Product

Okay. Next work on local databases such as SQLite

But learn each of your bullet points one at a time in a little R&D app before you try to take on putting them all together. You need to understand them as a single thing before you can architect how they will interact.

But again... 90% of everything you've described has nothing to do with Xamarin. Its all basic-to-intermediate application needs and design that would be the same in Xamarin, WinForms, WPF, Android, ...

• codeRockercodeRocker USMember ✭✭

Hi Clint,
    Thanks for the Detailed Suggestions. Kudos and appreciate your help. I will get back for any future doubts.