Can Xamarin.Mac work with .NET Core?

danipendanipen USMember ✭✭

Hi

Is it possible to compile/run a Xamarin.Mac app with .NET core? If not, any plans on your roadmap to support it?

Thanks!

Answers

• ChrisHamonsChrisHamons USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

The short answer, is that .net core isn't currently on the roadmap. The mono runtime and .net core runtime are pretty well optimized for their respective workloads (applications, particular mobile and server) and there would be significant integration work.

However, with netstandard libraries, it should be pretty trivial to share code between .net core and xamarin projects.

Is there a particular use case you are wondering about? Or are you just rightfully excited about .net core.

• danipendanipen USMember ✭✭
    edited May 2018

Hi Chris, thanks for your answer.

We would like to replace the Mono runtime with the .net core runtime in our Xamarin.Mac application ... and I was wondering if it's possible.

No, not without re-writing significant chunks of our runtime support code. I can point you in the right direction, but it'll be extremely non-trivial.

• CharlesRoddieCharlesRoddie USMember ✭✭

This would be a great proof of concept for the rest of Xamarin.Forms. Should be feasible as .Net Core runs on mac already. Performance and consolidated development would be great advantages of moving Xamarin from mono to .Net Core.

Hi,

@ChrisHamons any update on this? Any plan to migrate Xamarin.Mac to .NET core?

Thanks!

You may have heard about this announcement: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/introducing-net-5/

Part of that includes:

Produce a single .NET runtime and framework that can be used everywhere and that has uniform runtime behaviors and developer experiences.

What and how exactly that is going to work is still in planning, but we have absolutely heard people's feedback on the divided tooling/BCL/runtime between Xamarin and dotnet core.

That's good news!

What are the implications of moving Xamarin.mac from Mono to .NET 5? Should it be transparent or does it require rework?

That is a very good question - I don't know yet :smile:

Beyond that announcement, there isn't much else publicly stated.

Under the hood we're working on the implications of such a change.

As a general rule in Xamarin.Mac and iOS we try rather hard to prevent breaking API changes but sometimes behavioral changes do occur. Some change in the project format seems likely, but I really don't have anything concrete pinned down.

Ok, @ChrisHamons, thank you very much for the information.

Is there any blog or something that we can subscribe to stay up-to-date about the progress of this?

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/ and https://github.com/dotnet/core are probably the best source of information currently.

We're working through the implementation details right now, and I don't have too much to share yet.