Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

System.ArgumentException crash in custom UWP FrameRenderer

JThunJThun SEMember ✭✭
edited April 2018 in Xamarin.Forms

Hi,

I'm using a custom FrameRenderer in my UWP project to style frames (corner radius and color). When I scroll a bit back and forth, the app crashes with a System.ArgumentException: Value does not fall within the expected range. It's the call to base.OnElementChanged(e); that causes it.

I can of course put that in a try/catch, but then some items in my list will disappear. They return on orientation change of the device, but not after a normal refresh of the FlowListView I'm using.

Any ideas? I'm on Xamarin Forms 2.5.1.444934.

Here's the custom FrameRenderer:

class ExtendedFrameRenderer : FrameRenderer
{
    protected override void OnElementChanged(ElementChangedEventArgs<Frame> e)
    {
        base.OnElementChanged(e);

if (Control != null)
        {
            var frame = e.NewElement;
            double cornerRadius = frame.CornerRadius;

Windows.UI.Color frameBG = Windows.UI.Color.FromArgb(
                (byte)(frame.BackgroundColor.A * 255),
                (byte)(frame.BackgroundColor.R * 255),
                (byte)(frame.BackgroundColor.G * 255),
                (byte)(frame.BackgroundColor.B * 255));

Control.CornerRadius = new Windows.UI.Xaml.CornerRadius(cornerRadius);
            Control.Background = new SolidColorBrush(frameBG);
            frame.BackgroundColor = Xamarin.Forms.Color.Transparent;
        }
    }
}

Full error stack:

System.ArgumentException
  HResult=0x80070057
  Message=Value does not fall within the expected range.
  Source=Windows
  StackTrace:
   at Windows.UI.Xaml.Controls.Border.put_Child(UIElement value)
   at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.UWP.FrameRenderer.PackChild()
   at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.UWP.FrameRenderer.OnElementChanged(ElementChangedEventArgs`1 e)
   at MyApp.UWP.Helpers.ExtendedFrameRenderer.OnElementChanged(ElementChangedEventArgs`1 e) in C:\Users\me\Source\Workspaces\MySol\MyApp\MyApp.UWP\Helpers\ExtendedFrameRenderer.cs:line 26
   at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.UWP.VisualElementRenderer`2.SetElement(VisualElement element)
   at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.UWP.Platform.CreateRenderer(VisualElement element)
   at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.UWP.VisualElementPackager.OnChildAdded(Object sender, ElementEventArgs e)
   at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.UWP.VisualElementPackager.Load()
   at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.UWP.VisualElementRenderer`2.SetElement(VisualElement element)
   at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.UWP.VisualElementPackager.OnChildAdded(Object sender, ElementEventArgs e)
   at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.UWP.VisualElementPackager.Load()
   at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.UWP.ViewToRendererConverter.WrapperControl..ctor(View view)
   at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.UWP.ViewToRendererConverter.Convert(Object value, Type targetType, Object parameter, String language)
Tagged:

Answers

• DevEloper.8993DevEloper.8993 USMember ✭✭

Same problem with 2.5.1.527436 (latest supported by VisualStudio 2015). Maybe you should report the bug.

To work around the problem, you can implement a renderer that doesn't derive from the FrameRenderer but ViewRenderer instead, which is what the FrameRenderer derives from - see Xamarin.Forms.Platform.UAP/FrameRenderer.cs in the Xamarin.Forms repo (I'd post a link if I could)

The advantage is that stuff will be correctly typed given a custom TElement (first type argument to the ViewRenderer)

Confirmed for 2.5.1.527436. Maybe report the bug
    As a workaround, you could derive directly from the, using Xamarin.Forms/Xamarin.Forms.Platform.UAP/FrameRenderer.cs as a reference.

Same problem with 2.5.1.527436 (latest supported by VisualStudio 2015). Maybe you should report the bug.

To work around the problem, you can implement a renderer that doesn't derive from the FrameRenderer but ViewRenderer instead, which is what the FrameRenderer derives from - see Xamarin.Forms.Platform.UAP/FrameRenderer.cs in the Xamarin.Forms repo (I'd post a link if I could)

The advantage is that stuff will be correctly typed given a custom TElement (first type argument to the ViewRenderer)

Confirmed for 2.5.1.527436. Maybe report the bug
    As a workaround, you could derive directly from the, using Xamarin.Forms/Xamarin.Forms.Platform.UAP/FrameRenderer.cs as a reference.

edited May 2018

Sorry for multiple posts, I was just now approved for posting after being a registered user for over a year.

• TimSTimS DEMember ✭✭

Any updates on this? I'm facing the same issue on Xamarin.Forms 3.0.0.482510.
    As long as I use a custom renderer, that issues occurs. But it crashes in the base.OnElementChanged(e); method, as JThun pointed out.

• JThunJThun SEMember ✭✭

Hi @DevEloper.8993, and thank you for trying to help!

Do you have any ideas on how to work around the issue by deriving from ViewRenderer? As it crashes on Control.Child = renderer.ContainerElement; in FrameRenderer, I'm out of ideas.

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity admin

@JThun - I also use a custom renderer derived from FrameRenderer on UWP. I'm not seeing the problem that you are getting, either on 2.4.x or 2.5.x (I don't plan on moving to 3.0 until I absolutely have to). I'm not using FlowListView though. Do you see the same problem when not using FlowListView?

Have you logged a bug with a repro sample?

• JThunJThun SEMember ✭✭

I've been trying to reproduce in a clean project, but no luck. Seems that it might be a timing issue in my prod app related to the UI complexity with ad controls etc.

• EdwinWachsEdwinWachs BRMember

Would you have an example code in which the error happens? I would like to understand the reason better because I have tried to reproduce the problem and I can not.

• JamesAlbertJamesAlbert USMember

@JThun did you or anyone ever report this bug to Xamarin.Forms via github?
    github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/issues

I'm getting a crash in FrameRenderer at the same spot, but I'm not using a custom renderer.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University admin

What's stopping upgraded from 2.5.x to 3.4 (unless your unfortunate enough to still have to support Windows Mobile)? we deprecated Windows mobile phone with the last 2.5.x release of the app and then moved to 3.x & .NETStandard, it affected 4 users....

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University admin

If this crash is occurring in 3.4.0 it's serious an should should be raised as an issue.

• JTOneJTOne USMember ✭✭

Yep, this issue exists in XF3.4.0.1029999

void PackChild()
        {
            if (Element.Content == null)
                return;

IVisualElementRenderer renderer = Element.Content.GetOrCreateRenderer();

try
            {
                Control.Child = renderer.ContainerElement; // issue in this line!!!!!
            }
            catch (System.Exception)
            {
            }
        }

• kavitap810kavitap810 Member ✭✭

Hello All,
    Any update on this issue or any workaround possible. I am facing the same issue in XF version 4.5.0.617.