macOS/WPF Desktop App using Xamarin.Forms

Hi everyone,

At one of our Customers we have a WinForms Application that in the near Future should be ported to something that also runs under macOS. So after checking out different possibilities to make that happen (WebApplication,ElectronJS,WinForms running in WineContainer) i saw Xamarin.Forms has now both WPF and macOS Backends in Preview. Im interested in trying that out as i think we could reuse quite a bit of code from the WinForms Solution.

My Question is how stable are the WPF/macOS Backends by now (does anyone have experience?) and are they going to be actively developed in the near future to be incorporated into a stable Release. Or is it more like an Experiment,seeing that Xamarin.Forms is still mainly advertised as a Mobile/UWP XPlatform Solution?

Thanks for any Feedback,
Alex

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

WinForms is long dead technology. It pre-dates WPF. WinForms does not do any data binding like a modern XAML/MVVM app does.

99% guarantee that the logic and the UI are all tied together like a bowl of spaghetti. That's just the nature of all those old 1998 winForms apps.

You're going to have to pull it all apart... separate the logic from the UI and rebuild it all from the ground, up.