Forum General

A Brief History of .NET Standard

LBugnionLBugnion Member ✭✭

Hey monkeys! I just posted an article about .NET Core and .NET Standard. Feel free to ask questions here.

Happy coding!
Laurent

Tagged:

• Josh.1093Josh.1093 USUniversity ✭✭

@LBugnion - great article! One question though - you state:

Fewer Android devices support V8.0 than V7.0, so there’s also a tradeoff: access to more APIs or to more devices.

Per the table at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/net-standard?WT.mc_id=blog-blog-lbugnion the 8.0 reference is for “Xamarin.Android” (which I assume is the SDK and runtime) not the Android OS version 8.0.

I routinely build apps with newer Xamarin.Android versions and deploy them to older Android OS versions. Am I missing something?

I haven't seen any references in the Xamarin.Android 8.0 release notes, about any backward compatibility issues.

Thanks!

• LBugnionLBugnion Member ✭✭

Hi,

It's a great point and I am not totally sure what I was thinking about when I wrote this. I guess I need to find a better way to express the thought.

Take care
    Laurent

• Josh.1093Josh.1093 USUniversity ✭✭

I wonder about the UWP requirements. I haven't built much for it, and wonder if those are SDK requirements or OS requirements in the netstandard chart.

• LBugnionLBugnion Member ✭✭
    Those are linked. I. E to get the latest SDK you also need the machines to be running the corresponding OS.