How to call embedded Xamarin from NDK and C++

mbelewmbelew Member ✭✭

Hi, I was wondering if there is a sample showing how to embed Xamarin in an Android C++ project? I'm using Android Studio with a CMake project. I've patterned my project similar to the code found here:

www.mono-project.com/docs/advanced/embedding/

It looks like I'm linking correctly, but I'm not sure what assemblies need to be included, or where they are expected. My sample app just dies in the emulator a the mono_init() step. The mono_get_runtime_build_info() returns "5.10.1 (tarball)".

I've pulled the Xamarin source, and I'm using the .so files found after bulding. My java static initializer looks like this:

public class MainActivity extends AppCompatActivity {

// Used to load the 'native-lib' library on application startup.
    static {
    System.loadLibrary("native-lib"); // the hello world app

// Xamarin libraries
    System.loadLibrary("mono-android.debug");
    System.loadLibrary("mono-btls-shared");
    System.loadLibrary("MonoPosixHelper");
    System.loadLibrary("mono-profiler-aot");
    System.loadLibrary("mono-profiler-log");
    System.loadLibrary("monosgen-2.0");
    }

My C++ call looks like this:

extern "C" JNIEXPORT void
JNICALL
Java_com_hellondk_MainActivity_startMono(JNIEnv *env, jobject /* this */)
{
    char *pStr = mono_get_runtime_build_info(); // this works

MonoDomain *domain = mono_jit_init_version("RootDomain", "v4.0.30319");  // we die here

Answers

• mbelewmbelew Member ✭✭

I've gotten a little farther with my project, but I'm still stuck. It appears when you build a C# app using Xamarin in Visual Studio, the .apk file contains 'classes.dex' with the required mono runtime. However, my app is C++, and I would like to host the mono runtime. Perhaps someone here knows the steps to building a mono/Xamarin filled classes.dex the same way visual studio is doing it?

The next step is how does mono_init know to find it there?