Pre-Release: Xamarin.Forms 3.0.0-pre2

DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

We've pushed Xamarin.Forms 3.0.0-pre2 to NuGet.

To install the pre-release, check the pre-release option in your NuGet manager and install this version.

If you discover a bug to report, drop us a quick report on GitHub and if at all possible include a project that demonstrates it.

Key Features:

• FlexLayout
  • Right to Left Support
  • StyleSheets
  • Visual State Manager

For complete details, please refer to the release notes.

• RaphaelSchindlerRaphaelSchindler USMember ✭✭✭

Holy shit that's a long list of fixes, I hope that no code monkey was hurt for this release ;) Good job, trying it out right now.

• CharwakaCharwaka INMember ✭✭✭✭

@DavidOrtinau said:
    We've pushed Xamarin.Forms 3.0.0-pre2 to NuGet.

To install the pre-release, check the pre-release option in your NuGet manager and install this version.

If you discover a bug to report, drop us a quick report on GitHub and if at all possible include a project that demonstrates it.

Key Features:

• FlexLayout
    • Right to Left Support
    • StyleSheets
    • Visual State Manager

For complete details, please refer to the release notes.

When will designer Come ?

• ZoliZoli NLMember ✭✭
    edited March 23

Brilliant!
    1. Does it contain all the fixes from previous (-pre) versions too, like from "2.5.1.392594-pre3" ?
    2. When can we expect the final 3.0.0 (non-pre)? What is the difference between a pre-nonpre release?

• ZoliZoli NLMember ✭✭
    edited March 23

Ok, updated, but fails.

I had '2.5.0.122203' installed, project is NOT .netstandard ('.NETPortable,Version=v4.5,Profile=Profile259'), all worked fine.

Solution > Manage Nuget packages > Selected Xamarin.Forms (3.0.0.296286-pre2), all projects checked (PCL , Android, iOS) > Install

It looks all installed fine.

Package manager log:

Attempting to gather dependency information for package 'Xamarin.Forms.3.0.0.296286-pre2' with respect to project 'MYPROJECT.iOS', targeting 'Xamarin.iOS,Version=v1.0'
    Gathering dependency information took 353.85 ms
    Attempting to resolve dependencies for package 'Xamarin.Forms.3.0.0.296286-pre2' with DependencyBehavior 'Lowest'
    Resolving dependency information took 0 ms
    Resolving actions to install package 'Xamarin.Forms.3.0.0.296286-pre2'
    Resolved actions to install package 'Xamarin.Forms.3.0.0.296286-pre2'

Attempting to gather dependency information for package 'Xamarin.Forms.3.0.0.296286-pre2' with respect to project 'MYPROJECT', targeting '.NETPortable,Version=v4.5,Profile=Profile259'
    Gathering dependency information took 330.17 ms
    Attempting to resolve dependencies for package 'Xamarin.Forms.3.0.0.296286-pre2' with DependencyBehavior 'Lowest'

Attempting to gather dependency information for package 'Xamarin.Forms.3.0.0.296286-pre2' with respect to project 'MYPROJECT.Android', targeting 'MonoAndroid,Version=v8.0'
    Gathering dependency information took 3.05 sec
    Retrieving package 'Xamarin.Forms 3.0.0.296286-pre2' from 'nuget.org'.
    Removed package 'Xamarin.Forms.2.5.0.122203' from 'packages.config'
    Successfully uninstalled 'Xamarin.Forms.2.5.0.122203' from MYPROJECT.iOS
    Adding package 'Xamarin.Forms.3.0.0.296286-pre2' to folder 'D:\Project\Xamarin\MYPROJECT\packages'
    Added package 'Xamarin.Forms.3.0.0.296286-pre2' to folder 'D:\Project\Xamarin\MYPROJECT\packages'
    Added package 'Xamarin.Forms.3.0.0.296286-pre2' to 'packages.config'
    Successfully installed 'Xamarin.Forms 3.0.0.296286-pre2' to MYPROJECT.iOS
    Executing nuget actions took 2.97 sec
    Found package 'Xamarin.Forms 3.0.0.296286-pre2' in 'D:\Project\Xamarin\MYPROJECT\packages'.
    Successfully uninstalled 'Xamarin.Forms.2.5.0.122203' from MYPROJECT
    Package 'Xamarin.Forms.3.0.0.296286-pre2' already exists in folder 'D:\Project\Xamarin\MYPROJECT\packages'
    Successfully installed 'Xamarin.Forms 3.0.0.296286-pre2' to MYPROJECT
    Executing nuget actions took 1.5 sec
    Found package 'Xamarin.Forms 3.0.0.296286-pre2' in 'D:\Project\Xamarin\MYPROJECT\packages'.
    Successfully uninstalled 'Xamarin.Forms.2.5.0.122203' from MYPROJECT.Android
    Package 'Xamarin.Forms.3.0.0.296286-pre2' already exists in folder 'D:\Project\Xamarin\MYPROJECT\packages'
    Successfully installed 'Xamarin.Forms 3.0.0.296286-pre2' to MYPROJECT.Android
    Removing package 'Xamarin.Forms.2.5.0.122203' from folder 'D:\Project\Xamarin\MYPROJECT\packages'
    Access to the path 'D:\Project\Xamarin\MYPROJECT\packages\Xamarin.Forms.2.5.0.122203\build\netstandard1.0\Mono.Cecil.dll' is denied.
    Access to the path 'Mono.Cecil.dll' is denied.
    Removed package 'Xamarin.Forms.2.5.0.122203' from folder 'D:\Project\Xamarin\MYPROJECT\packages'
    Executing nuget actions took 14.49 sec
    Time Elapsed: 00:00:22.8478146
    ========== Finished ==========

However, when try to build, I got the infamous

D :\Project\Xamarin\MYPROJECT\packages\Xamarin.Forms.3.0.0.296286-pre2\build\netstandard1.0\Xamarin.Forms.targets(35,3): error MSB4062: The "Xamarin.Forms.Build.Tasks.GetTasksAbi" task could not be loaded from the assembly D :\Project\Xamarin\MYPROJECT\packages\Xamarin.Forms.3.0.0.296286-pre2\build\netstandard1.0\Xamarin.Forms.Build.Tasks.dll.
    Could not load file or assembly 'netstandard, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=cc7b13ffcd2ddd51' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. Confirm that the  declaration is correct, that the assembly and all its dependencies are available, and that the task contains a public class that implements Microsoft.Build.Framework.ITask.

The "Xamarin.Forms.Build.Tasks.GetTasksAbi" task could not be loaded from the assembly D :\Project\Xamarin\MYPROJECT\packages\Xamarin.Forms.3.0.0.296286-pre2\build\netstandard1.0\Xamarin.Forms.Build.Tasks.dll. Could not load file or assembly 'netstandard, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=cc7b13ffcd2ddd51' or one of its dependencies.
    The system cannot find the file specified. Confirm that the  declaration is correct, that the assembly and all its dependencies are available, and that the task contains a public class that implements Microsoft.Build.Framework.ITask.

I tried all tricks:

• Restart VS (tried many times)
    • Unload/reload project/solution
    • Clean
    • Build
    • Clean nuget cache
    • Manually delete bin/obj folders
    • None of the .csproj files contains import reference to old xamarin.forms

Nothing helps, for any Build or Clean action I get the above error for all 3 targets :(

• CharlesRoddieCharlesRoddie USMember ✭✭

Great. Look forward to trying out WPF.

• ZoliZoli NLMember ✭✭
    edited March 23

@Zoli said:
    Ok, updated, but fails.

I had '2.5.0.122203' installed, project is NOT .netstandard ('.NETPortable,Version=v4.5,Profile=Profile259'), all worked fine.

What I see, for 2.5.xxx, the PCL project was referencing Xamarin DLLs (I see in the csproj):
    ....\packages\Xamarin.Forms.2.5.0.122203\lib\portable-win+net45+wp80+win81+wpa81\Xamarin.Forms.Core.dll
    ....\packages\Xamarin.Forms.2.5.0.122203\lib\portable-win+net45+wp80+win81+wpa81\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.dll
    ....\packages\Xamarin.Forms.2.5.0.122203\lib\portable-win+net45+wp80+win81+wpa81\Xamarin.Forms.Xaml.dll

But this folder is NOT available in the "\packages\Xamarin.Forms.3.0.0.296286-pre2 " folder ??

Xamarin.Forms.3.0.0.296286-pre2
    MonoAndroid10 / netstandard1.0 / netstandard2.0 / tizen40 / uap10.0 / Xamarin.iOS10 / Xamarin.Mac

Xamarin.Forms.2.5.0.122203
    MonoAndroid10 / netstandard1.0 / portable-win+net45+wp80+win81+wpa81 / uap10.0 / win81 / WP80 / wpa81 / Xamarin.iOS10 / Xamarin.Mac

After the upgrade (Xamarin.Form 2.5->3.0), it updated the PCL .csproj:
    ....\packages\Xamarin.Forms.3.0.0.296286-pre2\lib\netstandard1.0\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.dll
    ....\packages\Xamarin.Forms.3.0.0.296286-pre2\lib\netstandard1.0\Xamarin.Forms.Xaml.dll
    ....\packages\Xamarin.Forms.3.0.0.296286-pre2\lib\netstandard1.0\Design\Xamarin.Forms.Xaml.Design.dll

Why is this?
    Is it a bug in 3.0 that PCL (portable-win+net45+wp80+win81+wpa81) lib is missing?
    Or it's not supported anymore?
    Could this be the reason for my GetTasksAbi issue?

I have several references to external Xamarin.Forms DLL, which are all PCL. How can I upgrade my app to netstandard to keep using those DLLs?

• ZoliZoli NLMember ✭✭
    edited March 24

@Zoli said:
    Ok, updated, but fails.

Fixed. I only had .NET 4.7.0 installed, and needed to install 4.7.1. (and upgraded my PCL -> netstandard20)

• ClaudioPereiraClaudioPereira BRMember ✭✭

Hey Guys, I am testing the new Xamarin.forms 3.0.0 -pre, I think that adds up to the already trend in performance enhancement we've been seen for 2.4, 2.5 versions, the The navigation is so smooth with that version, that I really think that I won't go back to other version. Since yesterday as I go testing all feature of my App. the only thing that is kind of annoying me is the strange behavior of the intellisense. XAML and CS files are complaining missing references, as a result to find a error is kind of impossible, app builds and runs a lot smoothier comparing with the 2.5. Any ideia of the reason? or how to make this work as the XF 2.5. Am I missing something? I'am using share

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error The attachable property 'GestureRecognizers' was not found in type 'BoxView'. App.Droid D:\AppApp\App\App\App\Views\Dashboard\DashboardPage.xaml 106
    Error The attachable property 'GestureRecognizers' was not found in type 'BoxView'. App.Droid D:\App\App\App\App\Views\Dashboard\DashboardPage.xaml 143
    Error The attachable property 'GestureRecognizers' was not found in type 'BoxView'. App.Droid D:\AppApp\App\App\App\Views\Dashboard\DashboardPage.xaml 179
    Error The attachable property 'GestureRecognizers' was not found in type 'BoxView'. App.Droid D:\AppApp\App\App\App\Views\Dashboard\DashboardPage.xaml 218
    Error The attachable property 'GestureRecognizers' was not found in type 'BoxView'. App.Droid D:\AppApp\App\App\App\Views\Dashboard\DashboardPage.xaml 262
    Error The attachable property 'GestureRecognizers' was not found in type 'BoxView'. App.Droid D:\AppApp\App\App\App\Views\Dashboard\DashboardPage.xaml 287
    Error The attachable property 'ColumnDefinitions' was not found in type 'Grid'. App.Droid D:\AppApp\App\App\App\Views\Dashboard\DashboardPage.xaml 17
    Error The attachable property 'Column' was not found in type 'Grid'. App.Droid D:\AppApp\App\App\App\Views\Dashboard\DashboardPage.xaml 31
    Error The attachable property 'Column' was not found in type 'Grid'. App.Droid D:\AppApp\App\App\App\Views\Dashboard\DashboardPage.xaml 39
    Error The attachable property 'Column' was not found in type 'Grid'. App.Droid D:\AppApp\App\App\App\Views\Dashboard\DashboardPage.xaml 68
    Error The attachable property 'Column' was not found in type 'Grid'. App.Droid D:\AppApp\App\App\App\Views\Dashboard\DashboardPage.xaml 74

• ZoliZoli NLMember ✭✭

I found 2 issues so far:

1. Major/Blocking issue: iOS app crashing when using grouped listview, and you clear the itemsource observablecollection. Both device+simulator. Android, it's ok. On 2.5.0.122203, this worked fine.

2. Minor: Android: if you add a gesturerecognizer to an item in your listview item template (for example, I have that with a label), then OnSelectionChanged is not called on the listview when you click on any item.

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

@Charwaka said:

I have no announcements to make about a designer, sorry. I'd however love to know how you are using designers today with other technology and what you most want to do with a designer for Xamarin.Forms. Please shoot me an email: david.ortinau@microsoft.com

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

Thanks for the quick feedback.

@ClaudioPereira I haven't seen those errors or impact on intellisense. Have you filed a report on GitHub yet? What IDE version are you on? It could be related to shared projects. PCL tends to get better support. .NET Standard will be even better once some kinks are worked out. And the various teams are working on those improvements.

@Zoli those both sound familiar from scanning recent Issues on GitHub. Maybe you authored them. ;) Please make sure and pile on any details and samples that will help us get that working properly. We've done quite a bit of work on gestures and list lately.

• ClaudioPereiraClaudioPereira BRMember ✭✭

@DavidOrtinau said:
    Thanks for the quick feedback.

@ClaudioPereira I haven't seen those errors or impact on intellisense. Have you filed a report on GitHub yet? What IDE version are you on? It could be related to shared projects. PCL tends to get better support. .NET Standard will be even better once some kinks are worked out. And the various teams are working on those improvements.

Thanks for your reply,
    I am using VS 2017 15.6.4. you are probably right about the Share project. I will file a report on GitHub.

• CharwakaCharwaka INMember ✭✭✭✭

@DavidOrtinau said:

@Charwaka said:

I have no announcements to make about a designer, sorry. I'd however love to know how you are using designers today with other technology and what you most want to do with a designer for Xamarin.Forms. Please shoot me an email: david.ortinau@microsoft.com

@stanleybroo any inputs here

• ZoliZoli NLMember ✭✭
    edited March 29

I logged both new 3.0_pre issues:

Major/Blocking issue: iOS app crashing when.....
    I did not create a new issue (maybe should have..), just added my findings here: https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/issues/1333
    Sample uploaded to reproduce.
    As this works fine in the last stable 2.5, I think it might be related to a 3.0_pre fix, #1904
    See my last comments.

Android: if you add a gesturerecognizer to an item.....
    https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/issues/2180
    Sample uploaded to reproduce.
    As this works fine in the last stable 2.5, I think it might be related to a 3.0_pre fix, #1331

• wallymwallym USInsider, Beta ✭✭✭
    edited March 31

After much work, I was able to get XF 3 pre2 to work. I do not seem to be getting intellisense in the Xaml editor. Any ideas on this?

Is there a list anywhere of the properties that can be set on a flexlayout?

• BradChase.2654BradChase.2654 USMember ✭✭✭
    edited April 2

@wallym I lost inteliisense when I upgraded VS 2017. Unfortunately VS 2017 keeps getting worse everyday. Are you sure you didnt do that? Or is it definitely XF?

• ZoliZoli NLMember ✭✭
    edited April 27

No topic for 3.0.0.427558-pre4, so asking here:

I upgraded from 3.0.0-pre2, it went fine. :)
    Then debug built my .net standard 2.0 common project - fine. :)
    Then debug re-built my Android (Xamarin Forms) -failed :'(

2>  MyProj.Android -> D : \Project\Xamarin\MyProj\MyProj\MyProj.Android\bin\Debug\MyProj.Android.dll
    2>E:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Studio 2017 Community\MSBuild\Xamarin\Android\Xamarin.Android.Common.targets(1528,2): error : Exception while loading assemblies: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load assembly 'System.Xaml, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'. Perhaps it doesn't exist in the Mono for Android profile?
    2>E:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Studio 2017 Community\MSBuild\Xamarin\Android\Xamarin.Android.Common.targets(1528,2): error : File name: 'System.Xaml.dll'
    2>E:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Studio 2017 Community\MSBuild\Xamarin\Android\Xamarin.Android.Common.targets(1528,2): error :    at Java.Interop.Tools.Cecil.DirectoryAssemblyResolver.Resolve(AssemblyNameReference reference, ReaderParameters parameters) in /Users/builder/data/lanes/5809/a7829590/source/monodroid/external/xamarin-android/external/Java.Interop/src/Java.Interop.Tools.Cecil/Java.Interop.Tools.Cecil/DirectoryAssemblyResolver.cs:line 229
    2>E:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Studio 2017 Community\MSBuild\Xamarin\Android\Xamarin.Android.Common.targets(1528,2): error :    at Xamarin.Android.Tasks.ResolveAssemblies.AddAssemblyReferences(DirectoryAssemblyResolver resolver, ICollection`1 assemblies, AssemblyDefinition assembly, Boolean topLevel)
    2>E:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Studio 2017 Community\MSBuild\Xamarin\Android\Xamarin.Android.Common.targets(1528,2): error :    at Xamarin.Android.Tasks.ResolveAssemblies.Execute(DirectoryAssemblyResolver resolver)

Any idea? Thx

(tried clean, restart VS2017, re-build, etc)

FIXED

Upgrade process added references to Xamarin.Forms.Core.Design + Xamarin.Forms.Xaml.Design.
    Removing those fixed the build issue.

UPDATE

See my 2 logged issues above for 3.0_pre2:

In 3.0_pre4:

Major/Blocking issue: iOS app crashing when.....
    FIXED

Android: if you add a gesturerecognizer to an item.....
    STILL THERE

Thanks @Zoli I'm looking into the status on that and any other open 3.0 pre issues.

• ZoliZoli NLMember ✭✭
    edited May 8

@DavidOrtinau

Would be great, as this one has not received much attention yet: https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/issues/2180

Other one (https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/issues/1333) is fixed.

• ZoliZoli NLMember ✭✭

Installed 3.0.0.446417

Looks ok, except #2180 is still there.

ListView.ItemSelected / ListView.ItemTapped is not called if a ViewCell in the listview has a label with GestureRecognizer.

• FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

@DavidOrtinau

What is the actual state to .forms?
    Various versions in the .forms release thread (including veeery old)...
    No new postings to any release in the last days...
    This thread is named -pre2
    Last update nuget to pre-2 (this thread) 2 months ago ( 1 )
    -pre3, -pre4, 3.0.0.446417 and 3.0.0.482510 ( 2 ) without any information’s here...
    3.1.0.469394-pre1 ( 4 ) without a thread...

I assume, that 3.0.0.482510 should be the most stable version, as it was updated 17 days ago ( 3 ) and downloaded 44’514 times...?

Is this correct?

It would be nice, if:

• Xamarin would revise the release threads
    • Users that have updated to 3.0.0.446417 or 3.0.0.482510 would post their findings here...

Note: If you don’t have any problems with 3.0 (updated to 3.xxxx and no problem), this would be (especially :smirk:) interesting for all users :sunglasses:

Thanks! :smile:

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it just me, or does MinimumWidthRequest not work in XF3 ?

@FredyWenger how strange that NuGet is telling you the current release is the old pre2. When I look at NuGet it's 3.0.0.482510

I apologize for not updating the release threads here. I just added a couple new threads that are a bit more open ended.

The forums primarily exist for you, the community to discuss things with each other. Official announcements really are on our release site, and latest details on GitHub and NuGet.

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

@DavidOrtinau said:
    @FredyWenger how strange that NuGet is telling you the current release is the old pre2. When I look at NuGet it's 3.0.0.482510

31may2018 @ noon USA EST:

@DavidOrtinau
    So.. I think, the answer to my question is: Yes, the version 3.0.0.482510 is the most stable .forms 3.x version to take...
    The problem with "current version" seems to be related with your link on page 1 of this thread...
    If I go to nuget over the link on page 1, it still shows -pre2 as "current", if I go directly to nuget, 3.0.0.482510 is current.

So,.. it would be nice, if some users would past their findings to V. 3.0.0.482510 here (especially also, if they have no problems :smile: )...
    Thanks

• MatthiasBruzekMatthiasBruzek USMember ✭✭

@FredyWenger there is this issue which is a dealbreaker for anyone using Auth over a WebView on iOS. The fix will hopefully be merged soon (!) and then make it into a new service release. Here is the PR

@MatthiasBruzek
    Thanks for the information...