Forum General

can't find Linux / Gtk examples

hi Xamian community.

this is Carsten from Germany. just getting warm with Xamarin/Mono/...

I have thirtysome years of development experience. recently mostly JavaEE. so far this C#-stuff seems more fun than I ever would have thought.

I use MonoDevelop 4.2.2 / Mono 3.2.4 on Linux Mint XFCE. my target platforms will mostly be Ubuntu Software center / ChromeOS / SteamOS. some MonoGame / Unity3D projects as well as normal desktop stuff (Gtk#). it surely doesn't hurt to be able to compile to the mobile platforms (iOS, Android) as well.

now what I seem to be to stupid to find are any code samples for Gtk desktop development with Mono. Linux in general seems somewhat underrepresented as far as I can see. I can find examples on external sites, but I would like to start with the semi-"official" stuff first.

the whole MonoGame stuff works pretty great. mobile is only of secondary interest to me so far.

are there users with similar interests around here? is there a Linux-specific forum? MonoDevelop seems to be one of the greatest integrated dev-platform on Linux rivaling even IntelliJ IDEA IMHO. and Ubuntu, SteamOS and ChromeOS are the fastest growing markets in the desktop space. this looks like a great match or doesn't it?

any suggestions where to look for more specific information for Linux as both the development platform as well as the target OS?

kind regards,
Carsten

• AndyFlisherAndyFlisher GBBeta, University ✭✭✭✭

Have you worked through these - http://www.mono-project.com/GtkSharpTutorials

Think they're as official as you get, don't think GtK really features in the commercial arm do mono (which is basically what Xamarin is), I've used those to code up a few basic utils that tun on mac and Windows with GTk, no reason that they wouldn't run without change under Linux too

• thanks.

yep. already seen the examples under mono-project.com. very helpfull indeed.

but as these all originate in the MonoDevelop 3 area I was expecting more and more recent stuff here at Xamarin.

and yes, crosscompiling to Windows and Mac would later be interesting. is there an alternative platform-indepentant UI-framework that you would recommend over Gtk? I do quite like the internal GUI-builder. is QT[5?] / C# an option? I have always been more of a Gtk-guy, though...

do you perhaps know any plugins for automatically deploying applications to Ubuntu Software Center?

kind regards.

I've never seen any Qt stuff, but would be interested as did a bit with python. Only true cross platform framework I've see for mono is xwt (http://foodformonkeys.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/xwt.html) which looks very promising, and includes gtk. Basically uses a different ui kit for each platform through common code.

Unfortunately I found it a bit too restrictive and unpredictable, so for my needs decided to stay native and concentrate my efforts on common core libraries. Gtk is still my quick and dirty fallback though :-)

• cool. never heard about xwt before.

there seems to be no project-type for this in the new-project wizzard, right? and I guess no GUI-builder yet? still, interesting.

I have something to dive into. thanks for the hint.

edited January 2014

No, it's not built in and no builder so very much a raw add on experience, not sure how much if any Xamarin backing it's got, there's also something under development from Xamarin and in beta, but it's not yet announced and under NDA so not sure what people are allowed to say about it, I've not played yet, and think it's mobile only but there are things hapenning!

• SKallSKall USMember ✭✭✭✭

Cheers, added to the 'when I get a roundtuit' research list :-)

• does anyboy per chance have the source of one or more C#/mono/Gtk apps listed here:
    http://www.mono-project.com/More_Sample_Code#MPhoto

?

sadly, 3/4 of the listed apps seem to be gone from the web