Xamarin Profiler - Unable to take (multiple) snapshot(s)

My Configuration:

• Macbook + FusionVM
  • On Fusion Windows 7 + Visual Studio 2017 Enterprise (v15.6.2) + Xamarin Profiler (v1.6.1.483)
  • iPad simulator running on MacOS

When profiling, most of the time the app is started correctly.
But when taking a first snapshot the app is stopped by Xamarin Profiler (status bar says … stopping application or Processing Data and before reaching 100% the app is stopped in the simulator)
Full logfile in attachment. Hoping that this can be solved.

Answers

• PelkmansMarkPelkmansMark USMember ✭✭

Mmmm ... nobody? Xamarin? MS? Community?

• RodrigoMoyaRodrigoMoya ESXamarin Team Xamurai

Seems the app is crashing when you take the snapshot. So, can you go to your Mac and get the ProfilerAgent*.log from ~/Library/Logs/Xamarin-1.1/ and share it with me?

Hi Rodrigo, nice to hear from you.
    I'm currently using profiler version 1.6.2.133 and I found ProfilerAgent*.log file in folder Xamarin-1.6.2.133 (see zip in attachment) I hope you can find some info to solve this issue. If I run the application without the profiler in the simulator everything works ok. I also included a zip with the content of the Xamarin-1.1 folder.
    Hope to hear soon from you.
    Best Regards

hmm, that log shows several tries, in one of them, the simulator couldn't be booted, but the others seem to work ok, so I think it might be indeed the app crashing. So, can you please retrieve the sim/device logs? You can do so in macOS' Console app, which should have the logs for the simulators.

-macOS Console App? Do you mean terminal on macOS? What command do I have to enter then?
    -in fact the problem is not while booting the simulator and app, but after I take a second snapshot.

No, "Console.app", just open launchpad and search for "Console" and you'll see it. It's the app that shows all the logs.

Ok. Here's the log file
    I started the app, took a first snapshot, then when taking a second snapshot the app stopped.

Rodrigo, It looks related to https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=61265

When I run (debug) the app in the simulator without Xamarin Profiler (app works ok)

If I start app via Xamarin Profiler, app crashes and in de console.app I see "error: * Assertion at /Users/builder/data/lanes/5808/3979d081/source/xamarin-macios/external/mono/mono/profiler/log.c:546, condition `mono_lls_insert (&log_profiler.profiler_thread_list, hp, &thread->node) && "Why can't we insert the thread in the LLS?"' not met"