Extreme drop in editor performance after update to version 7.4 (build 1033)

Hi,

after I updated Visual Studio for Mac 2017 to Version 7.4 (build 1033) the performance gets worse the longer I work. After working for two hours the performance is so bad that working is no longer possible and I have to reboot the system. Restarting Visual Studio alone does not solve the problem.

Example of extreme bad performance behaviour:

• After hitting a key, it takes up to three seconds until the letter appears in the editor. I can write whole texts while the program is stuck, after the delay everything I typed appears in the editor.
  • The activity monitor shows CPU usage of up to 300% while the system is stuck after hitting a key (see screenshot)

• After writing some code (and the delay mentioned above) all text is displayed white (instead of blue, green white etc. of the dark theme). It then takes several seconds before the code is in the correct color again.

• Intelli-Sense takes more than five seconds to create suggestions, often it does not show suggestions at all

I'm using an MacBook Air with Mac OS Sierra (Version 10.12.6). Before the update, everything was smooth, letters appeard instantly after pressing the key, Intelli-sense never took more than maybe half a second to create suggestions.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance for your time.

• AshleyGazichAshleyGazich USXamarin Team Xamurai

@Tobe Could you please share some details about the type of project you're working on, how long Visual Studio for Mac has been running (today only, in the background for a day), and whether you've noticed any other bits of info that might be relevant? If possible, I'd also like to request the output of Help > Diagnostics > Profile for 5 seconds and the logs from Help > Open Log Directory.

• MatteoPiccioniMatteoPiccioni USMember ✭✭

I have the same problem,
    in a xamarin form ios and android shared project
    The editor became unresponsibe after some minutes and it gets worse

• TobeTobe DEMember ✭✭
    edited March 13

Could you please share some details about the type of project you're working on, how long Visual Studio for Mac has been running (today only, in the background for a day)

After restarting the whole mac it usually takes around three hours until the problems start. Sometimes it starts after two hours, sometimes (like today) after six.
    The project is a shared project for Android and iOS, although currently I'm debugging only on Android (Emulator Nexus 4 Lollipop, API22 and a Huawei P8 Lite 2017, Running Nougat, Api 24).
    The project is pretty big (more than 200 .cs files), right now I'm only working on one file, which contains around 1300 lines of code.

and whether you've noticed any other bits of info that might be relevant?

After loading the project, the scrolling in the editor is not correct (the lines you see are not where they should be). When I click somewhere, the code disappears and appears some lines above where I clicked. So lets say I click on line 455, the code I saw at that line then disappears and is on line 451. After clicking on some lines there's a lot of code I see twice etc. The solution to fix this is to select all and scroll a bit up and down ((I hope you understand what I mean...).

If possible, I'd also like to request the output of Help > Diagnostics > Profile for 5 seconds and the logs from Help > Open Log Directory.

I uploaded the logs from today. The "profile for 5 seconds" was created after experiencing performance issues again, although they are not that bad (yet).

Thank you :-)

@Tobe Thank you for the information--we'll take a look and get back to you with updates. Just a quick note looking to any future issues you might run into: please let us know about them via Visual Studio for Mac Help > Report a Problem. This will open an issue in the Visual Studio for Mac Developer Community space, where the team officially monitors feedback. Cheers!

• OmarHassan.2150OmarHassan.2150 USMember ✭✭

I have the same issue after updating for 7.4, any solution for this issue?

Hello friends, thank you for the feedback. We've just shipped Visual Studio 2017 for Mac 7.4.1 (7.4.1.48), which should address the editor performance issues described in this thread. Should you run into any other unexpected behavior, please open a new issue via Help > Report a Problem to let us know. Thank you!

• ClayZuvichClayZuvich USMember ✭✭
    edited March 29

Since I've updated to 7.4.1 I'm seeing a massive performance hit. It's the same issues as posted in this thread. Come on guys...