Install previous version of Visual Studio for Mac

I just updated my Visual Studio to 7.4. This includes breaking changes like the Components issue. I need to revert to 7.3, how? I can only find documentation on how to do it on Windows.

If I look for older versions I can only see this:

https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/older-downloads/

Which is not very useful.

Best Answer

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski US Xamurai
    edited March 7 Accepted Answer

There are some plans to align Visual Studio for Mac more closely with Visual Studio for availability of older downloads in the future.

For the moment, the easiest option in general might be to create a support incident to request the version you'd like. But for this exact case, I've just messaged you some links for the previous versions. By chance those individual download links do still exist with the current way things get installed.

For a little additional background information that might be of interest, see also an answer to a similar question from a previous release.

Answers

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited March 7 Accepted Answer

There are some plans to align Visual Studio for Mac more closely with Visual Studio for availability of older downloads in the future.

For the moment, the easiest option in general might be to create a support incident to request the version you'd like. But for this exact case, I've just messaged you some links for the previous versions. By chance those individual download links do still exist with the current way things get installed.

For a little additional background information that might be of interest, see also an answer to a similar question from a previous release.

• HortinzHortinz GBMember ✭✭

Thank you @BrendanZagaeski !

• VincentHoogendoorn.4333VincentHoogendoorn.4333 NLMember ✭✭

I need to downgrade Visual Studio for Mac from latest stable (7.5, release 15.7) to the previous stable, because of a blocking bug (iOS device build fails, already reported)

How can I get the https://releases.xamarin.com/service-release-15-6-5/ for Mac?
    @BrendanZagaeski maybe you can help me out? Thx!

• FelixDeimelFelixDeimel ATMember ✭✭
    edited May 9

There really needs to be a way to download previous releases publicly!
    Yesterday's update of the Xamarin/MS stack broke Embeddinator 4000, which is one of Xamarin's own projects. It's weird enough that an update breaks one of your own projects but even worse that there's no way to simply get the previous version which was fine.

By the way, I used to download previous releases from my Xamarin account page which now doesn't seem to exist anymore. Just go to xamarin.com, click "Sign in" and watch as nothing happens.

edited May 9

As an update on this topic, all of the recent previous Xamarin.iOS, Xamarin.Android, and Xamarin.Mac packages are available in the archives on the open source continuous builds server (under the Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.MaciOS tabs). And the Mono Framework MDK is similarly available in the Mono Project download archive. I have now updated the 15.7 Release Xamarin Release Blog post to provide the links to those locations. In many cases, the latest version of Visual Studio for Mac will be backwards compatible with previous versions of the Xamarin SDKs, so you can in many cases just install those earlier Xamarin SDK versions over the current versions and leave Visual Studio for Mac and Mono Framework MDK at the latest.

If you do need to get an older version of Visual Studio for Mac itself, the best option at this time is still to create a support incident to request the version you'd like. The updated info for creating a Visual Studio for Mac support incident is to go to Technical Support > Product: Visual Studio > Assisted Support on https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/support/ and then select Visual Studio Community/Professional/Enterprise 2017 for Mac.

I used to download previous releases from my Xamarin account page which now doesn't seem to exist anymore.

At the moment, the direct link to the old downloads page (https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads) is not yet set to redirect, so it is still possible to access that page, but indeed that page is considered deprecated in favor of the open source continuous builds archive at this time, and the previous versions provided on that page are from the earlier Xamarin 15.5 Release rather than the Xamarin 15.6 Release.

• VincentHVincentH USBeta ✭✭

Thanks @BrendanZagaeski! Good to have a fallback option right in the release notes.

• DennisLeeDennisLee USMember ✭✭

This appears to require paid professional support in order to create a support ticket.

For this particular kind of quick request for a different version, I believe the support incident form should let you enter the request using any Visual Studio sign-in (including a Community sign-in). That said, if you run into trouble with the form, you can send me a direct message here on the forums, and I can follow-up with the team so see if anything might have changed with that form recently.