Building Xamarin.Forms app for iOS on Windows

Hi, my company is planning do build multiplatform Xamarin.Forms application. I'm confused what kind of software and hardware do we need for iOS development.
There will be 2 or 3 developers working in a project. Each developer has Windows machine with Visual Studio Professional installed. As far as I understand we need at least one Mac to connect to via a network, and an iPhone for each developer. What kind of software is needed on Mac for building, deploying and putting an app to AppStore? Is VS for Mac required? If yes, do we need a separate license?

What would you advise for a small company with a limited budget?

• Xami3Xami3 ✭✭✭ PKMember, University ✭✭✭

@annawww yes you are right, you need a mac. Only VS for mac is required on that machine. in our office environment we have mac laptops running latest version of mac os. some of us use vs for mac and some use Parallels ( running windows in virtual machine). and we have one device at a time for deploying app to device.

And yes you need apple developer account for it too.

we are running community edition of VS on mac :)

• annawwwannawww Member

Thank you @Xami3 for the answer. Could you please explain how it works when you develop on Windows? Do you or your colleague have Visual Studio installed on the virtual machine with Windows? How do you build iOS app then? Do you connect from VS installed on Windows with VS on mac at the same time? Or you can have VS installed on Windows and on Mac there is some other builder?

• JohnHJohnH ✭✭✭✭✭ GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@annawww said:
    Hi, my company is planning do build multiplatform Xamarin.Forms application. I'm confused what kind of software and hardware do we need for iOS development.
    There will be 2 or 3 developers working in a project. Each developer has Windows machine with Visual Studio Professional installed. As far as I understand we need at least one Mac to connect to via a network, and an iPhone for each developer. What kind of software is needed on Mac for building, deploying and putting an app to AppStore? Is VS for Mac required? If yes, do we need a separate license?

What would you advise for a small company with a limited budget?

My suggestions:
    Look into VSTS for source control, work item management, and remote build hosts (240 minutes a month free, including mac builds). Free for small teams/businesses. Look into that further to make sure you meet the requirements
    As your app is Xamarin Forms based, go with a single networked Mac. You wont be building for iPhone all the time, you will build mostly for android. Just flip to the mac occasionally to make sure a change looks ok and any platform specific code.
    You do not need an iPhone per developer. You will want several Droid devices however.
    Mac build host also requires XCode to be installed, plus provisioning profiles and certificates to be installed to be able to build for device. Building for simulator is easier, however. You will also need an Apple developer licence to build for your dev iPhone.

Cheers
    John

• Gigex42Gigex42 ✭✭✭✭ USMember ✭✭✭✭

You can develope on your windows machine but need the mac to compile your code.

Look at this

• JohnHJohnH ✭✭✭✭✭ GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

@Gigex42 said:
    You can develope on your windows machine but need the mac to compile your code.

Look at this

If you had read the first message properly you would see she already knows this.

edited February 2018

@annawww well i am using parallels on my mac. he way it works is that i run my vs on parallels and connect to my mac f i need to build iOS project and deploy to simulator or device. otherwise i don ned mac and i can use my windows laptop for android and windows phone. you only need vs for mac and xCode on your mac machine.

i can also connect to my my mac, from my windows pc if i want to.

• annawwwannawww Member

@JohnHair said:
    My suggestions:
    Look into VSTS for source control, work item management, and remote build hosts (240 minutes a month free, including mac builds). Free for small teams/businesses. Look into that further to make sure you meet the requirements

Thanks, I'll take a closer look at this.
    Anna