Forum General

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

Serious Question about the bugs in Xamarin

khawtfkhawtf NLMember ✭✭

So I work on Xamarin projects for 2 years now. On and off I used it for projects (private/commercial).

I am really not kidding when I say it takes 70% debugging Xamarin specific issues (bugs created by the framework it self) and 30% developing the apps.

I was last year in a project we dropped Xamarin after 7 months because of the bugs and started dev native and finished it in 3 months.

Everytime I see some updates I have hope but after playing with it for an hour I am giving up again. Features not working when you are trying something a bit more complex than hello code.

I am really eager to know how many people did really develop complex apps on this framework

Answers

• Ahsan_SiddiqueAhsan_Siddique PKMember ✭✭✭✭

I am developing simple and bit complex apps in Xamarin.Android. I did not face any bugs, you can see my develop app from C Sharp Corner. Here my all articles are available.

c-sharpcorner.com/members/ahsan-siddique/articles

I feel more easily to develop apps with Xamarin. :smile: )

• jwillisjwillis USUniversity

How are you developing your apps? Are you using Xamarin.Forms or Xamarin.Native (Android/iOS + Shared/PCL)?

I have been developing with Xamarin for several years. The only major bugs I've run into that affect my productivity are related to connectivity between tools (i.e. Visual Studio not connecting to emulators/simulators, requiring computer and/or software restarts), and third-party libraries. To be clear, I consider Xamarin.Forms to be a third-party library (comparable to MvvmCross/Mvx but with first-party support). I have not run into any issues with the native libraries for any of the supported platforms.

If you are using a lot of third-party libraries to scaffold your app then I recommend you reconsider your architecture. The more abstract your UI becomes from the native libraries the more time you will have to spend troubleshooting layouts. For instance, I create all of my UI features in the native projects, and then use MvvmLight (and IoC) to connect them to the business layer(s) of my app. This allows me to maintain platform-specific UI design patterns, and share nearly all of the backend logic. Using this pattern has saved me a TON of time versus dealing with problems related to someone else's library.

• DenishRaiDenishRai USMember ✭✭
    edited April 2020

@Ahsan_Siddique said:
    I am developing simple and bit complex apps in Xamarin.Android. I did not face any bugs, you can see my develop app from C Sharp Corner. Here my all articles are available.

c-sharpcorner.com/members/ahsan-siddique/articles

I feel more easily to develop apps with Xamarin. :smile: )

"I did no face any bugs", you've either never developed an app beyond Hello World in Xamarin or you just want people to look at your C Sharp Corner article.
    They can't even get the simplest things working properly.
    Want to get the latest iOS sdk? I can't. Because: https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/issues/10162
    Want to use CollectionView? I cant. Because of this: https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/issues/6851.
    Vertical alignment in CollectionView is bugged too, just doesn't work.
    Want to use Shell? I can't. Because : https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/issues/5232. Yes, they managed to overlook a very basic yet mandatory feature.
    Even the simplest of things, the foundational UI components have serious bugs in it (some of which are open for almost an year) or lack mandatory features. So you're either lying or you have never developed a proper app in Xamarin Forms. As @khawtf said, 70% of the time is spent on finding workarounds for these bugs and missing mandatory features. Good thing you ditched Xamarin. Don't ever look back, don't ever have second thoughts about leaving it. Stick to native. It will be the best decision you'll ever make.