Ability to use Live Player when the internet is tethered from device

SergeyPolezhaevSergeyPolezhaev RUMember ✭✭
edited January 12 in Xamarin Live Player

As I can see Live Player shares required files through an internet connection, it requires both devices to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Why this does not work when both devices are on the same network but not "connected" to the same wi-fi? For example when the internet is tethered by USB or Wi-Fi from a phone. In that case, I can connect to Visual Studio but when I try to deploy to the device output window shows that VS cannot establish the connection to the device.

Are you able to fix it?

• mvermefmvermef USMember

I have the same problem. What is worse is if you connect to hotel wifi or airport wifi they may put you on different frequency spectrum's. Only way I found a way around this issue was to share via mobile hotspot on the laptop the wifi already connected too, then connect to the hotspot. Unfortunately hotspot on phone to laptop then connect between the phone and wifi becomes circular and fails to achieve what we want

• JamesMontemagnoJamesMontemagno USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

I am working on this currently. Essentially the devices return the "active" network as the cellular connection.

On my Nexus 6 it returns 3 total IPs for the device and the "Active" is my cellular.

What I am doing now is going to check:

If there mulitple IPs:

1.) Check if Android Tether is active
    2.) If so then check for rmnet_ in the name and skip it
    3.) Then pick wlan0 or wlan if possible
    4.) Else return default

So far testing is good on my device. We will get a pop up saying WiFi isn't available, but that is alright because "technically" it isn't there.