Offline Sync with Cosmos DB?

NSouthManNSouthMan USMember ✭✭
edited December 2017 in Cross Platform with Xamarin

Hi! I'm new to Xamarin and am working on a simple app for users to track performance on different projects. I'm trying to determine how best to track user data. I read about Azure Mobile Apps and thought, "Cool, support for offline sync!" Then I read about Cosmos DB and thought, "Cool, NoSQL sounds great for my purposes!" However, all of the tutorials on offline sync for Azure Mobile Apps talk about SQL databases. Also, the Cosmos DB tutorials don't talk about offline sync. So... is offine sync supported with Cosmos DB?

The impression I get so far is that Xamarin (especially a cross-platform PCL solution) works more easily with SQL than with NoSQL at this point. And Azure Mobile Apps works with SQL, not NoSQL. Is that right or am I missing something? Thanks!

Edit: Also, I hope to eventually add a web front-end for users. Would that affect my decision to go with SQL vs. Cosmos DB?

Answers

• GrahamHughesGrahamHughes GBMember ✭✭

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, looking for a solution.

In our last project, we used the offline sync, and it's worked well, although some tinkering required around macOS, but it connects through to an sql database.

You might want to take a look at realm.io
    For the moment, I've discounted it on cost as I would need the paid for version for my requirements. I haven't used it as I stopped digging once I had uncovered the cost issue for my scenario. It might suit your requirements though.
    Realm doesn't appear to have geo-replication.

I guess what we are looking for as Xamarin users is a Realm type approach backed by CosmosDB. I don't think this exists yet.... but please someone pop up and tell me I'm wrong!

• JeremyWhiteleyJeremyWhiteley USMember ✭✭
    Yep. Your ideas are awesome. But Microsoft has dropped the ball. Cosmos db isn’t compatible with pcl projects. Microsoft could have a killer thing with Cosmos db however they are completely out to lunch. They won’t give us any code examples to secure it with Azure AD B2C.

In the meantime have you seen Google Firebase? They make all this super simple to do. And now they came out with Google Flutter.