Inspector button isn't showing up in VS for Mac

BradCunninghamBradCunningham USBeta, Developer Group Leader ✭✭

I am trying to use inspector for the first time and I am not seeing the inspect button on the toolbar in VS for mac. I also don't see the Tools | Inspect Current app options

I have VS for Mac version 7.3.2 Build 12 (latest from the stable channel as of today)
I just downloaded and ran the Workbooks / inspector installer. I have 1.3.2 (1.3-release/461f09a)

I am running VS for Mac pro edition.
When I look at Extensions in VS I see the Inspector extension showing as installed and enabled.

Interestingly, when I go to uninstall the AddIn (thinking I could reinstall clean and fix the problem) I don't have anything in this folder (it's an empty folder)

~/Library/Application Support/XamarinStudio-6.0/LocalInstall/Addins/

When I view Help About in Visual Studio I see Xamarin Inspector listed with this info

Version: 1.3.2
Hash: 461f09a
Branch: 1.3-release
Build date: Tue, 03 Oct 2017 18:26:57 GMT
Client compatibility: 1

I am trying to inspect a Xamarin Forms application running in an iOS simulator.

Help?

Best Answer

Answers

• BradCunninghamBradCunningham USBeta, Developer Group Leader ✭✭

So what exactly does that mean? I see that mentioned all over the docs but I don't know what that means. Is there another version of VS for Mac called enterprise?

Nevermind, I see that there is indeed another version of VS for Mac. I am a MSDN subscriber but it isn't clear to me if I have access to this version. I guess I will dig into MSDN benefits to figure that out.

• SandyArmstrongSandyArmstrong USXamarin Team, Insider Xamurai

It's not a different version of VS for Mac, it's a different subscription level. Please see https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/compare/ for details.

VS for Mac will automatically enable Enterprise features if you are logged in with an Enterprise subscription.

If you click Account... under the Visual Studio menu, it will show your subscription level.

Thanks @SandyArmstrong that answers my question. I only have the pro level. That is a bummer

Any plans to release this tool for lower subscription levels?

No plans that I'm aware of, but I'm just an engineer. :smile:

Xamarin Workbooks, on the other hand, remains completely free to use, and was even recently open-sourced. You may find it to be helpful even though it cannot connect to your own apps like Inspector can.