Will my app be available on iPad even when I select Devices: iPhone/iPod on my info.plist?

I've noticed I can run my app on the iPad simulators, and iTunes Connect has an option to upload iPad screen shots.

I haven't developed my app with iPad in mind, and I've read here that it's a requirement for beta-review. I've passed several reviews at this point and I'm almost ready to release.

Will my app be available on iPad if I release?

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• SomewhereElseSomewhereElse USMember ✭✭

@seanyda Great, thanks!

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@seanyda @SomewhereElse I disagree, I believe it is a requirement that the app functions on an ipad (e.g. not crash), even if the app has to run at iPhone resolution. This was listed as a requirement and I don't think that has changed.

• SomewhereElseSomewhereElse USMember ✭✭

@JohnHair, the app runs, though visually, there are short comings.
    The real concern is will it be released to the app store as an iPad app as well when I release?

• seanydaseanyda GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnHair said:
    @seanyda @SomewhereElse I disagree, I believe it is a requirement that the app functions on an ipad (e.g. not crash), even if the app has to run at iPhone resolution. This was listed as a requirement and I don't think that has changed.

Yes, iPads are able to download all iPhone apps, however its a scaled preview version of the iPhone/iPod so it doesn't matter if it doesn't work on the actual iPad devices, as long as it works on the mobiles.

@seanyda all things being equal then yes, it should work. But things aren't equal, even among iPhone versions. Its always wise to check. A quick search shows many examples of app rejections for iPad crashes on iPhone only apps, I have seen many such posts over the years.

• seanydaseanyda GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnHair said:
    @seanyda all things being equal then yes, it should work. But things aren't equal, even among iPhone versions. Its always wise to check. A quick search shows many examples of app rejections for iPad crashes on iPhone only apps, I have seen many such posts over the years.

The logic doesn't make sense, It's not mandatory to build the app for tablet devices. If an exception is to be thrown, it'll throw regardless whether your on an iPhone, iPod or iPad. Most developers need to add additional logic to handle an iPad version, by having "iPhone/iPod" selected you are skipping this additional work and giving the user an iPhone version for there tablet device. If your iPhone/iPod app build is stable on the devices you want to submit it for, You'll be all good. Or am I missing something?

@seanyda As I said, not all devices are equal. Apps can crash on iPad when they work fine on iPhone. There is another thread running right now with exactly that issue. If you haven't had that issue, then great for you. I don't have that issue as I only write universal apps. But it does happen and Apple will reject* an app that crashes on iPad.