See What’s New in Visual Studio 2017 Version 15.5

JimmyGarridoJimmyGarrido USXamarin Team Xamurai

Today we released Visual Studio 2017 version 15.5 into stable! Read the blog post here for more information and feel free to discuss below!

• stevefoxover.5931stevefoxover.5931 USMember ✭✭

Love the live player running on an emulator. I use a desktop to dev on so its a pain to try and connect to the same wifi as my cell phone. One great help would be some better guides and scaffolding code that makes my app look awesome. How do I theme it in live player? Grab some designers and get some awesome looking starter screens put together. Instead of plain looking sample code from devs. Look at react-native nativebase.io.

• JeffJones.7832JeffJones.7832 USMember
    So where are we on getting a XAML designer? We had Windows Forms designers in VB 1.0 over 20 years ago. The emulators and Live player are useful, but the R in RAD stands for “rapid”.

How can there not be a XAML designer in 2017?
  • PrasanjitBiswasPrasanjitBiswas USMember ✭✭

File -> New Project --> Shared Project (with XF) is giving me an empty solution. It was working fine before this update. I'm using VS professional. Any help?

• DirkWilhelmDirkWilhelm USMember ✭✭✭
    edited December 5

Creating new .Net Standard Xamarin.Forms project does not reference a valid xamarin.forms nuget package:

<ItemGroup>
        <PackageReference Include="Xamarin.Forms" Version="250121934" />
      </ItemGroup>

Notice the version number, its missing the dots.

The same wrong version is referenced in the android.csproj and the ios.csproj:

<PackageReference Include="Xamarin.Forms" Version="250121934" />

• DirkWilhelmDirkWilhelm USMember ✭✭✭

After updating to VS2017 15.5 i'm not able to build my xamarin.forms android app using 'dotnet build'. I get this error message:

C:\Projekte\App1\App1\App1.Android\App1.Android.csproj(88,3): error MSB4019: Das importierte Projekt "C:\Program Files\dotnet\sdk\2.1.2\Xamarin\Android\Xamarin.Android.CSharp.targets" wurde nicht gefunden. Vergewissern Sie sich, dass der Pfad in der -Deklaration korrekt und die Datei auf dem Datenträger vorhanden ist.
    C:\Users\wilhelm.nuget\packages\xamarin.forms\2.5.0.121934\build\netstandard1.0\Xamarin.Forms.targets(55,3): error MSB4062: Die Xamarin.Forms.Build.Tasks.GetTasksAbi-Aufgabe konnte nicht aus der C:\Users\wilhelm.nuget\packages\xamarin.forms\2.5.0.121934\build\netstandard1.0\Xamarin.Forms.Build.Tasks.dll-Assembly geladen werden. Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Build.Utilities.v4.0, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'. Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden. Stellen Sie sicher, dass die -Deklaration korrekt ist, die Assembly und alle zugehörigen Abhängigkeiten verfügbar sind und die Aufgabe eine öffentliche Klasse enthält, die Microsoft.Build.Framework.ITask implementiert. [C:\Projekte\App1\App1\App1\App1.csproj]

The csproj references this path:

<Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\Xamarin\Android\Xamarin.Android.CSharp.targets" />

It does work when i compile it using VS2017, so there seems to be a mismatch in the MSBuildExtensionsPath when using VS2017 and dotnet build on a command line.

• JimmyGarridoJimmyGarrido USXamarin Team Xamurai
    edited December 5

@DirkWilhelm This is the same issue as reported on Developer Community. Please attach the logs from Xamarin to that report and I will post further updates there. Regarding building with dotnet build, was this working with 15.4 and now it is broken? It is a known issue that Xamarin.Android does not currently support building with the dotnet CLI so it would be interesting if it was working at some point.

@PrasanjitBiswas A previous report of this issue was due to the Android SDK not being correctly configured. Can you verify that Visual Studio is pointing to a valid Android SDK and attach the logs from Help > Xamarin > Zip Logs so I can look into this? Thanks!

• DmytroBondarenkoDmytroBondarenko USMember ✭✭

Thank you for awesome update!

I have a question, how I can do this on Windows using the latest VS + Remoted iOS Simulator?
    Now I can start live XAML using only standard dialog for device pairing with installed app, I didn't find any option how to do this with iOS Simulator.

• leo-mckleo-mck BRMember ✭✭

Since xamarin do not support netstandard projects on XF 2.5 the option to create a project using it will be another huge pain for developers or am I missing something?

@DmytroBondarenko Previewing XAML live on an iOS simulator is currently only supported on the Mac. However we are working on supporting the Remoted iOS Simulator so you can do it from Windows as well :smile:

@leo-mck Xamarin.Forms has had support for .NET Standard libraries as of 2.4.0. If you are experiencing issues with Xamarin.Forms inside a .NET Standard library, please file an issue in their GitHub so they can investigate!

• leo-mckleo-mck BRMember ✭✭

@JimmyGarrido sadly I got this information from here: https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/issues/1316#issuecomment-349896325 - that is, a issue on XF2.5 running on netstandard...

• Sean.AndersonSean.Anderson USMember ✭✭

Good to see all of these improvements. Really exciting. Is there any chance of adding a MacOS choice to the Platform selections? If I recall correctly, you can target macOS but you would most likely have to scour some blog posts to get it done--much like we used to have to do for .NET Standard.

• Sean.AndersonSean.Anderson USMember ✭✭

@JeffJones.7832 said:
    So where are we on getting a XAML designer? We had Windows Forms designers in VB 1.0 over 20 years ago. The emulators and Live player are useful, but the R in RAD stands for “rapid”.

How can there not be a XAML designer in 2017?

There is a lot of overhead to supporting something like that. I would rather that the team focus on real bugs and platform support instead of a visual designer. Is it really that much of an inconvenience to type a few XAML elements? If they build a visual designer it will not make sense as a feature unless it supports creating and wiring up the data bindings, behaviors, and converters at the very least. That is a lot of work that would not be focused on the platform. There are already a lot of tools, including the live previewer, that make building and troubleshooting the UI pretty easy.

Are there plans to convert to the UWP XAML dialect or is Xamarin going to continue with the current one?

• CharwakaCharwaka INMember ✭✭✭
    edited December 11

Hi @JimmyGarrido

do we still need mac host to run Remoted iOS Simulator ? or it will debug and run entirely on windows without need of mac ?

• JohnHairJohnHair GBMember ✭✭✭✭

@charwaka just to save you some time, yes a Mac is still required to build for iOS or use the remote iOS simulator.

@leo-mck Ah, that issue is specific to the XamlC feature not being supported in .NET Standard libraries currently. However the templates do not have XamlC enabled by default so this shouldn't be an issue for new projects.

@Sean.Anderson That's definitely something we're considering once Xamarin.Forms gets closer to shipping stable support for macOS :smile:

@Charwaka You will still need a Mac machine for the Remoted iOS Simulator.