Current Release: 15.5 Feature Release

2»

• pecrevierpecrevier CAMember

@tura08 said:

@pecrevier said:
    After updating to the latest Xamarin version, I receive the following error when trying to build my project in VS 2015:

2: error: Error: String types not allowed (at 'versionCode' with value '').

Any insights on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My team of developers is getting the same issue

Hi tura08. I posted an update to my original post yesterday explaining a workaround that I found. Here is what I posted:

@pecrevier said:
    Update: Since my original post, I found that the generated manifest file was only missing a number when I had the version number in the AndroidManifest.xml set to 0. Once I changed this number to something else (ex: 1), the generated file would have the correct version number and my project would build.

I hope that this workaround will work for you too until a proper fix can be put in place.

• tura08tura08 USMember

Hi Thanks, this is also the case for us. 0 seems to be no good. We were using this on our dev branch as our build server adds the actual version code onto the release version. We have just changed it to 1 instead and it seems to work.

• MarcoTronconeMarcoTroncone GBUniversity ✭✭

After the latest update of Visual Studio 2017 Community was impossible to create a new Xamarin Form Solution as I only got empty solutions.

I used the Repair function of the Visual Studio Installer and it fixed the problem but maybe you can have a look and fix it the problem for the other users.

• kagsterkagster USMember

My projects were working fine until this update. Now, a simple JSON serialization/deserialization does not even work.

I copied this example from NewtonSoft's website just to test if there was anything wrong with my code.

Product product = new Product();
    product.Name = "Apple";
    product.Sizes = "Small" ;

string json = JsonConvert.SerializeObject(product);

This returns {} as the string.

=======================================================

Cannot do Xamarin Live with iOS anymore.

C:\Xamarin\LaoGolfXam\LaoGolfXam\LaoGolfXam.iOS\AppDelegate.cs(1,1): error: The type or namespace name 'Xamarin' could not be found in the global namespace (are you missing an assembly reference?)
    C:\Xamarin\LaoGolfXam\LaoGolfXam\LaoGolfXam.iOS\AppDelegate.cs(1,1): error: 'AppDelegate.FinishedLaunching(UIApplication, NSDictionary)': no suitable method found to override
    C:\Xamarin\LaoGolfXam\LaoGolfXam\LaoGolfXam.iOS\AppDelegate.cs(1,1): error: The type or namespace name 'Xamarin' could not be found in the global namespace (are you missing an assembly reference?)
    C:\Xamarin\LaoGolfXam\LaoGolfXam\LaoGolfXam.iOS\AppDelegate.cs(1,1): error: The name 'LoadApplication' does not exist in the current context
    Failed to debug your app.

I did the following to try to remedy the problems
    1. Repair
    2. Completely uninstall and reinstall VS 2017
    3. Followed everyone else's suggestions

From what i've been reading, upgrading VS is a nightmare for Xamarin. You would think that the VS and Xamarin team would have figured it out by now.

I'm very disappointed to say the least. I have lost one week of development time due to this issue. I have three machines and all three have the same issue. Neither old or new project works with regards to my problems.

I hoping for a fix or work around if anyone has any idea why i'm having these basic issues.

Thanks,
    Kalvin

• DonCB2BDonCB2B USMember ✭✭

I got new error show can't connect to mac.

"an error occurred while trying to start the broker"

• kagsterkagster USMember

I just installed VS 2017 on a fresh, clean windows 10 machine and still getting this when trying to use Xamarin Live on iOS. So this is the fourth machine and it fails right out of the box.

I just created a brand new Xamarin Forms .Net Standard project with the defaults xaml files. That is it!!! So, don't tell me that I must be doing something wrong.

.....Xam.iOS\AppDelegate.cs(1,1): error: The type or namespace name 'Xamarin' could not be found in the global namespace (are you missing an assembly reference?)
    ....Xam.iOS\AppDelegate.cs(1,1): error: 'AppDelegate.FinishedLaunching(UIApplication, NSDictionary)': no suitable method found to override
    ....Xam.iOS\AppDelegate.cs(1,1): error: The type or namespace name 'Xamarin' could not be found in the global namespace (are you missing an assembly reference?)
    ....Xam.iOS\AppDelegate.cs(1,1): error: The name 'LoadApplication' does not exist in the current context
    Failed to debug your app.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited December 2017
    • Cannot do Xamarin Live with iOS anymore.
    • When trying to use Xamarin Live on iOS

I would recommend heading over to the Xamarin Live Player forum area for questions about getting up and running with the Live Player.

• LarsNymandLarsNymand DKMember ✭✭

After updating I started to get this exception. Any ideas how to fix it?

Didn't find class "md532f498bc5773e2146f11315ebcdcaf9d.PushHandlerBroadcastReceiver" on path: DexPathList[[zip file "/data/app/net.xx.app-1/base.apk"],nativeLibraryDirectories=[/data/app/net.xx.app-1/lib/arm, /data/app/net.xx.app-1/base.apk!/lib/armeabi-v7a, /system/lib, /vendor/lib]]
    dalvik.system.BaseDexClassLoader.findClass BaseDexClassLoader.java:56
    java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass ClassLoader.java:380
    java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass ClassLoader.java:312
    android.app.ActivityThread.handleReceiver ActivityThread.java:3282
    android.app.ActivityThread.-wrap20 ActivityThread.java
    android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage ActivityThread.java:1719
    android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage Handler.java:102
    android.os.Looper.loop Looper.java:154
    android.app.ActivityThread.main ActivityThread.java:6692
    java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke Method.java
    com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run ZygoteInit.java:1468
    com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main ZygoteInit.java:1358

• DonCB2BDonCB2B USMember ✭✭

@DonCB2B said:
    I got new error show can't connect to mac.

"an error occurred while trying to start the broker"

To whom have same problem i have,
    Go to C:\Users***\AppData\Local\Temp\Xamarin\XMA\Broker

Delete Broker.md5 file on your window local machine.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited December 2017

Now, a simple JSON serialization/deserialization does not even work.

I copied this example from NewtonSoft's website just to test if there was anything wrong with my code.

Just for a very quick first check and for a little fun for me this Friday evening, I experimented with this briefly myself in Visual Studio 2017 version 15.5.2. The attached solution gave me the expected values on Android emulator and device as well as iOS simulator and device, in both the Debug and Release configurations. I would recommend creating a dedicated item for this topic for further investigation, ideally mentioning whether the example I attached here demonstrates the problem in your environment. Thanks in advance!

A little extra guidance on creating a dedicated item (from earlier in the thread):

Please file a quick bug report using the "15.5 Release" new bug form if you see any suspicious behavior in these versions that you wish to report.

In particular, discussion and voting on DeveloperCommunity items reported via the Report a Problem feature in Visual Studio 2017 and Visual Studio for Mac is recommended for any suspicious behaviors you might see after download in one of those IDEs. Dedicated tracking items per issue helps keep the conversation well focused for each issue, and allows the engineers with the closest knowledge to monitor them as appropriate.

2»