Current Release: 15.5 Feature Release

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Please see https://releases.xamarin.com/release-15-5/ for the details about this release, including the steps to update.

This release is now available as part of Visual Studio 2017 version 15.5 and in the Stable updater channels for Visual Studio 2017 for Mac and Visual Studio 2015 Tools for Xamarin.

Bug reports wanted!

• Please file a quick bug report using the "15.5 Release" new bug form if you see any suspicious behavior in these versions that you wish to report.

• If you get any errors when using the form to submit, please select the Other link and then choose the desired product.
  • Comment in this forum thread if your question is not related to a suspicious behavior after download, but instead one of the following:

• You notice an error in the Release Blog post.
    • You have trouble downloading one of the installer packages.

• ndt0126ndt0126 VNMember

@BrendanZagaeski said:
    - You have trouble downloading one of the installer packages.

Please look at the attached image. I have tried multiple times, they are all just end up with 'failed'.
    Please help, there are works I need to deliver!

• UndercoverDeveloperUndercoverDeveloper USMember ✭✭
    edited December 6

After installing the latest update my Xamarin Installation ist completely broken. See attached screenshots. Reinstall has no effect. Please fix asap, it is business critical to us.

Where can i get an older version (4.8.x.x) than the current version as an offline installer package? (.msi)

• JackGriffithsJackGriffiths GBMember

The update seems to have cleared my Android SDK Location setting, but it wont let me re-set it through the Options window. It shows the red X next to the box even after filling it in, and errors "Please fix all errors before saving" when trying to save any Xamarin options.

• DonCB2BDonCB2B USMember ✭✭

@UndercoverDeveloper said:
    After installing the latest update my Xamarin Installation ist completely broken. See attached screenshots. Reinstall has no effect. Please fix asap, it is business critical to us.

Where can i get an older version (4.8.x.x) than the current version as an offline installer package? (.msi)

Same problem happened here

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Please look at the attached image. I have tried multiple times, they are all just end up with 'failed'

I did a quick double-check locally to test the specificity of this download issue, and the downloads succeeded in my test environment. As I understand it, the most likely cause of a download failure for specific users may be related to geographical location. If you continue to experience download failures in Visual Studio 2017 for Mac, please report the issue via the Help > Report a Problem menu item in the IDE for further investigation. Thanks!

• RoySadakaRoySadaka USMember ✭✭

After updating I can't deploy to iOS from my Mac, I get a build error :
    Error: No iOS signing identities match the specified provisioning profile #####

I work with Visual Studio for Mac for 6 months now, no previous update broke this, only the new one.
    Signing Certificates and Provisioning Profile are set correctly.
    please advise.

Thank you in advance.
    Roy

edited December 7

After installing the latest update my Xamarin Installation ist completely broken

This appears to be a case of the old unfortunate upstream sensitivity of the Visual Studio extension mechanism (particularly in Visual Studio 2015).

Some possible steps that can help resolve this:

If those steps are unsuccessful, please report a bug using the "15.5 Release" new bug form for further investigation by the Xamarin team.

• ndt0126ndt0126 VNMember

@BrendanZagaeski said:

Please look at the attached image. I have tried multiple times, they are all just end up with 'failed'

I did a quick double-check locally to test the specificity of this download issue, and the downloads succeeded in my test environment. As I understand it, the most likely cause of a download failure for specific users may be related to geographical location. If you continue to experience download failures in Visual Studio 2017 for Mac, please report the issue via the Help > Report a Problem menu item in the IDE for further investigation. Thanks!

I was able to work around this by downloading the Xamarin.iOS package directly based on a link I found with Google, but I can't find direct links for other stuffs, are they listed somewhere?

• nilLeenilLee CNMember

Xamarin.iOS 11.4.0 does not support a deployment target of 11.2 for iOS (the maximum is 11.1). Please select an older deployment target in your project's Info.plist or upgrade to a newer version of Xamarin.iOS.

I was able to work around this by downloading the Xamarin.iOS package directly based on a link I found with Google, but I can't find direct links for other stuffs, are they listed somewhere?

• The Mono package will be available soon on http://www.mono-project.com/download/. The Visual Studio for Mac package is not listed anywhere (the Visual Studio for Mac installer is listed, but that might run into the same issue as the updater when it downloads the individual package). I have direct-messaged you the links for the current versions of these 2 packages.

• The Xamarin Profiler download is available from the Xamarin Profiler release notes.

edited December 7

Xamarin.iOS 11.4.0 does not support a deployment target of 11.2 for iOS (the maximum is 11.1). Please select an older deployment target in your project's Info.plist or upgrade to a newer version of Xamarin.iOS.

That message is accurate. Unfortunately by coincidence Apple released iOS 11.2 and Xcode 9.2 within effectively the same business day as the Visual Studio 2017 version 15.5 release. The Xamarin team is proceeding as usual to test for compatibility and publish updated versions of Xamarin.iOS and the Visual Studio Tools for Xamarin to align with the new version of Xcode. You can watch the Xamarin.iOS release notes or the Xamarin team release blog for additional updates about availability of iOS 11.2 and Xcode 9.2 essential compatibility.

• The update seems to have cleared my Android SDK Location setting, but it wont let me re-set it through the Options window. It shows the red X next to the box even after filling it in, and errors "Please fix all errors before saving" when trying to save any Xamarin options.
    • After updating I can't deploy to iOS from my Mac, I get a build error :
      Error: No iOS signing identities match the specified provisioning profile #####

Please file a quick bug report using the "15.5 Release" new bug form if you see any suspicious behavior in these versions that you wish to report. Thanks!

• RoySadakaRoySadaka USMember ✭✭
    edited December 7
    Did anyone managed to successfully deploy to iOS with the latest version of Visual Studio (Mac) and latest Xcode ? Even when targeting 10.x.x
    I don’t want to open a bug before I’m sure it’s a bug.

Roy.
  • SomewhereElseSomewhereElse USMember ✭✭
    edited December 7

Since updating Xcode and Visual Studio Mac, I'm getting the following error every time I try to build:

Error Xamarin.iOS 11.4.0 does not support a deployment target of 11.2 for iOS (the maximum is 11.1). Please select an older deployment target in your project's Info.plist or upgrade to a newer version of Xamarin.iOS.

XCode is now v9.2, Visual Studio Mac is v7.3
    My iPhone and iPhone simulators are all on 11.2, and the only SDK version available in Visual Studio is 11.2 as well.

Any suggestions?

• mischelmischel DEMember ✭✭

open a .xib or .storyboard file failed

edited December 8

Error Xamarin.iOS 11.4.0 does not support a deployment target of 11.2 for iOS (the maximum is 11.1). Please select an older deployment target in your project's Info.plist or upgrade to a newer version of Xamarin.iOS.

See the comment that is 3 before yours in this thread. To reiterate, unfortunately (but not unlike Visual Studio), Apple does not provide pre-notification of their releases, so the current Visual Studio and Xamarin versions released on Monday have not yet been updated with iOS 11.2 and Xcode 9.2 compatibility (that Apple released within effectively the same business day as the new Visual Studio and Xamarin versions).

For a possible workaround see also: https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/111843/xamarin-ios-11-4-0-does-not-support-a-deployment-target-of-11-2-for-ios-the-maximum-is-11-1/p1

• magic67magic67 USMember ✭✭
    edited December 8

@BrendanZagaeski
    The Android builds of my Xamarin Forms PCL now fail consistently with 50+ errors such as 'Android' namespace doesn't exist in Xamarin.Forms.Platform.
    I can delete bin & obj files - the solution build once and then fails. Xamarin.IOs seems fine for the moment

Is there any documentation on how to downgrade VS for Mac to say the Nov 2017 release?
    I've lost a whole day trying to remedy the situation and think its best I try and downgrade.

Do I need uninstall everthing first?
    https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/getting_started/installation/uninstalling_xamarin/

• pecrevierpecrevier CAMember

After updating to the latest Xamarin version, I receive the following error when trying to build my project in VS 2015:

2: error: Error: String types not allowed (at 'versionCode' with value '').

Any insights on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

edited December 13

Is there any documentation on how to downgrade VS for Mac to say the Nov 2017 release?

My understanding is that at the moment, the Visual Studio for Mac product group has not chosen to provide any particular documented downgrade process. I did find a couple UserVoice feature requests that look roughly applicable to the topic (admittedly for Windows I think, but Visual Studio for Mac would quite possibly follow the Windows precedent if something changed for Windows):

And possibly also:

I'll direct-message you individual package download links aligned with the November versions since those do by chance exist with the current way things get installed. In general, installing those packages in-place over the newer packages can work OK, but it is not a tested scenario.

• kizanlikkizanlik TRMember ✭✭

Here is my story for those who experiences unexpected behaviors after updating / upgrading VS for Mac.

I have been working on an internal app for a long time, since Xamarin Studio days. I created a solution in those days and never recreated the solution from the scratch because it was always opened in XS / VS after every update / upgrade till the last one.

After receiving 15.5 Feature Upgrade I received "Project.sln is not recognized as a VS solution" or something similar message while I was opening the solution. That drove me crazy :smile:

In that crazy mood, I renamed the project's folder from Project to Project.old. I created new Project folder and an empty solution. I started to add old projects / libraries into the new solution. While I was doing that, I converted all PCL library projects to .NET Standard libraries. It took a few hours and it was painful. Really painful.

Now, I am happy :smile: All those weird issues are gone. I feel VS for Mac is stable now. It is easy to say but I think it is worth giving a try.

• DannyWernickeDannyWernicke USMember ✭✭

@JackGriffiths said:
    The update seems to have cleared my Android SDK Location setting, but it wont let me re-set it through the Options window. It shows the red X next to the box even after filling it in, and errors "Please fix all errors before saving" when trying to save any Xamarin options.

Similar problem here. Although the SDK location is correctly set in the Xamarin options, VS now thinks it's not. I can't start emulators, the SDK manager and so on so I'm basically not able to work at the moment. :( Even creating new projects doesn't work since they are completely emtpy.

• GVxGVx USMember ✭✭✭

@DannyWernicke said:

@JackGriffiths said:

Similar problem here. Although the SDK location is correctly set in the Xamarin options, VS now thinks it's not. I can't start emulators, the SDK manager and so on so I'm basically not able to work at the moment. :( Even creating new projects doesn't work since they are completely emtpy.

I found that if I loaded the Visual Studio Installer, selected More, and then Repair.... All my Android issues were then fixed...

• DimChrisDimChris USMember ✭✭✭

Does the problem with mono android package is solved with version 4.8.0.754 with vs 2015?

• kwlkwl USInsider, Developer Group Leader ✭✭

I'm getting the infamous MT0026 error. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43626094/error-mt0026-on-xamarin-forms I did launch Xcode 9.2 which seems to work but I'm still only getting the "Generic Simulator" and can't launch a simulator.

• DannyWernickeDannyWernicke USMember ✭✭

@GVx said:

@DannyWernicke said:

@JackGriffiths said:

I found that if I loaded the Visual Studio Installer, selected More, and then Repair.... All my Android issues were then fixed...

Thanks for the info. :) Yeah, that helped me too.

• kwlkwl USInsider, Developer Group Leader ✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski, could you please send me those download links, too? I'm afraid my demo at a conference on Wednesday depends on this downgrade.

@BrendanZagaeski, could you please send me those download links, too? I'm afraid my demo at a conference on Wednesday depends on this downgrade.

Sure thing. I've sent them over now.

• ruborubo USMember ✭✭

Yet another traditional Xamarin update which broke everything again. And again. Bravo!

Now I can't launch my Android project. ClassNotFoundException just beacuse I have a class derived from Application class. Nothing helps. Clean, rebuild, app uninstall, restart, woodoo with settings... Nothing. Thank you for this.

Is there a way to rollback this nightmare to the previous version in VS2017 without going through the hell?

ClassNotFoundException

It sounds like you might be running into the issue described in:

There is an issue where the Visual Studio Installer (for Visual Studio 2017) is apparently interpreting a change in requirements from "required" to "optional" for the Android SDK component as a signal to uninstall that component in certain update scenarios. Re-selecting the components in the Visual Studio Installer to re-install them has been reported to resolve the issue for several users.

The Xamarin team is coordinating with the Visual Studio Installer team to set that component back to required for now until the issue with the Visual Studio Installer uninstall behavior can be investigated.

Is there a way to rollback ... VS2017

https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/older-downloads/ will lead you to my.visualstudio.com, which offers an installer for Visual Studio 2017 version 15.0 in accordance with the Visual Studio servicing policy. Beyond that, the UserVoice links from my earlier comment might be relevant to your question.

• ruborubo USMember ✭✭

Thanks for the quick reply, Brendan. I'm pretty sure my problem is not related to the installer issue. Xamarin.Android is there and works. However, when I add a class to the project which derives from the Application class, app no longer launches -- ClassNotFoundException. This is pretty serious issue given that all my projects have their own Application-derived class.

• SerprogerSerproger USMember

bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=61014

Impossible to work and no feedback from Xamarin team for several days.

• valdeterovaldetero USInsider, University ✭✭
    edited December 12

@pecrevier said:
    After updating to the latest Xamarin version, I receive the following error when trying to build my project in VS 2015:

I have this same issue with 15.5.1 in 2017. I can't build my Android project now. The AndroidManifest.xml in the project has a number but the one generated in the obj folder does not.

• pecrevierpecrevier CAMember

@valdetero said:

@pecrevier said:

I have this same issue with 15.5.1 in 2017. I can't build my Android project now. The AndroidManifest.xml in the project has a number but the one generated in the obj folder does not.

Update: Since my original post, I found that the generated manifest file was only missing a number when I had the version number in the AndroidManifest.xml set to 0. Once I changed this number to something else (ex: 1), the generated file would have the correct version number and my project would build.

I hope that this will help you until a proper fix can be put in place.

• DonCB2BDonCB2B USMember ✭✭
    edited December 12

I can build on simulator but can't build app on real phone , error showed

The app has been terminated.
    Failed to Stop app: An error occured on client IDB480754 while executing a reply for topic xvs/idb/4.8.0.754/stop-app
    The app has been terminated.

• valdeterovaldetero USInsider, University ✭✭

Thanks @pecrevier ! That workaround did it for me. It sucks that that broke all of a sudden.

• GVxGVx USMember ✭✭✭

@rubo said:
    Yet another traditional Xamarin update which broke everything again. And again. Bravo!

Yeah it's annoying isn't it... I can only guess Xamarin use the community as a whole as their QA team (evident by the amount of bugs that always open up from users straight after a release)... All we do is install, compile, and everything is broken....

Luckily there are some awesome users who are able to resolve stuff straight away and post in these forums... The VS repair solution that somebody posted saved me big time... And it was never an official Xamarin response to do it.... As above I guess they just do not have the man power to QA and respond to issues ASAP...

• ruborubo USMember ✭✭

@GVx Are you saying simple VS repair rolls the current version back?
    Given the fact almost each Xamarin release turns into a nightmare for me, I always keep the latest working .vsix files. This time I applied that to have the previous Xamarin.Android alongside the latest Xamarin.iOS.

• GVxGVx USMember ✭✭✭

@rubo said:
    @GVx Are you saying simple VS repair rolls the current version back?

I didn't need to roll back... My Android stopped working altogether and the repair (VS Installer -> More -> Repair) fixed that.... So I am on the current version and everything seems to be OK at the moment... Android and iOS working...

edited December 12

Thanks for the feedback. I can't speak much to the backstory for the particular issues that have been observed in this release (apart from the bit of information about the Visual Studio Installer Android SDK uninstallation issue from earlier in the thread). It is perhaps of interest to note that each item that the Xamarin team fixes in a service release does go through a follow-up internal discussion.

it was never an official Xamarin response

Just as a little reminder, note that as mentioned in the first post in the thread this forum thread is aimed at the following purpose:

Comment in this forum thread if your question is not related to a suspicious behavior after download, but instead one of the following:

• You notice an error in the Release Blog post.
    • You have trouble downloading one of the installer packages.

Whereas for suspicious behaviors after download it is recommended:

Please file a quick bug report using the "15.5 Release" new bug form if you see any suspicious behavior in these versions that you wish to report.

In particular, discussion and voting on DeveloperCommunity items reported via the Report a Problem feature in Visual Studio 2017 and Visual Studio for Mac is recommended for any suspicious behaviors you might see after download in one of those IDEs. Dedicated tracking items per issue helps keep the conversation well focused for each issue, and allows the engineers with the closest knowledge to monitor them as appropriate. Thanks!

• tura08tura08 USMember

@pecrevier said:

My team of developers is getting the same issue