Why aren't my downloaded updates installing?

Hi everyone, I've downloaded new updates for my Visual Studio 2015 on Windows 7. The updates downloaded are as followed: Xamarin 4.7.10.38, Xamarin Workbooks and Inspector 1.3.2, Xamarin Profiler 1.5.6, and the Xamarin iOS Simulator 1.1.3.108. All of them show "Download completed. Pending to install." However, when I click "Install," the "Xamarin Updates" window containing all of the downloaded updates is closed and nothing happens. I double click on the Xamarin icon in the tray, and the same "Xamarin Updates" window pops up and still says "Download completed. Pending to install." on each update.

I have already cleared my C:\Users\MyUser\AppData\Local\MonoDevelop-4.0\Cache\TempDownload contents as suggested in another thread I found, but have had no luck up to this point.

I just found that there are updates for my Xamarin Studio on Mac, so I've begun downloading those. I would expect that the update to Visual Studio 2015 on my Windows 7 PC would install regardless of what's happening on the Mac, but maybe that's the problem?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Best Answer

• TrevorYokumTrevorYokum US ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

@ShantimohanElchuri said:

@TrevorYokum said:
    Hi everyone, I've downloaded new updates for my Visual Studio 2015 on Windows 7. The updates downloaded are as followed: Xamarin 4.7.10.38, Xamarin Workbooks and Inspector 1.3.2, Xamarin Profiler 1.5.6, and the Xamarin iOS Simulator 1.1.3.108. All of them show "Download completed. Pending to install." However, when I click "Install," the "Xamarin Updates" window containing all of the downloaded updates is closed and nothing happens. I double click on the Xamarin icon in the tray, and the same "Xamarin Updates" window pops up and still says "Download completed. Pending to install." on each update.

I have already cleared my C:\Users\MyUser\AppData\Local\MonoDevelop-4.0\Cache\TempDownload contents as suggested in another thread I found, but have had no luck up to this point.

I just found that there are updates for my Xamarin Studio on Mac, so I've begun downloading those. I would expect that the update to Visual Studio 2015 on my Windows 7 PC would install regardless of what's happening on the Mac, but maybe that's the problem?

The updates on a VS4Mac are related to VS on Windows only to the extent of connecting to the iOS Build Agent on the Mac.

You may try uninstalling Xamarin components by going to the VS Installer, reboot Windows and then reinstall Xamarin through VS Installer. Otherwise there is no definitive logical solution for such issues.

I actually fixed the problem by going to the folder that I mentioned, the C:\Users\MyUser\AppData\Local\MonoDevelop-4.0\Cache\TempDownload, and running the Windows Installer Packages manually. I ended up restarting my PC and trying to hit "Install" on the Xamarin Updates window once again, but came away with nothing. That's when I found my solution.

Answers

• ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@TrevorYokum said:

The updates on a VS4Mac are related to VS on Windows only to the extent of connecting to the iOS Build Agent on the Mac.

You may try uninstalling Xamarin components by going to the VS Installer, reboot Windows and then reinstall Xamarin through VS Installer. Otherwise there is no definitive logical solution for such issues.

• TrevorYokumTrevorYokum USMember ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

@ShantimohanElchuri said:

@TrevorYokum said:

I actually fixed the problem by going to the folder that I mentioned, the C:\Users\MyUser\AppData\Local\MonoDevelop-4.0\Cache\TempDownload, and running the Windows Installer Packages manually. I ended up restarting my PC and trying to hit "Install" on the Xamarin Updates window once again, but came away with nothing. That's when I found my solution.