Advantages of Xamarin - comprehensive list anybody?

KrumelurKrumelur DEUniversity ✭✭

I'm looking for a comprehensive list of arguments for Xamarin.
I find it incredibly hard to sell a Xamarin solution over a cheaper Web App.
The price is higher, the initial work is more - That's what the customers see.

I am looking for reasons that go beyond

• "the performance is better" (-> Customer: "But web app performance is good enough!")
  • "the UI is native" (-> C: "but we want a branded look anyway across all platforms and we can just make it look like a specific platform by using CSS")
  • "code can be shared with the server" (-> C: "we use PHP on the server")
  • "Xamarin cooperates with Microsoft, it's a save bet" (-> C: "American companies aren't always silver bullets"). And so on. I hear similar arguments when dealing with Phonegap, Appcelarator and those.

René

• CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey GBMember ✭✭✭

This isn't really a Xamarin vs Web app question, its web app vs native.

What types of apps are you building? Depending on your requirements a web app might be adequate, but the few web apps I have seen have just felt like responsive web sites. Slow, limited UI customization and just generally they feel inadequate when you compare them to a native app.

But it still depends on what you're specifically doing.

• KrumelurKrumelur DEUniversity ✭✭

It is about Xamarin more then native because Xamarin's advantage is the code sharing and the huge amount of available C# components. There are many other advantages that I see compared to web apps and any other approach. The problem with these is, that the customers often only see "but the other one is cheaper".

I agree that web apps feel laggy. I don't really want to argue wether it would be better to do a Web app in a specific case or not. I'm doing Xamarin. The customer wants an app. I want that contract. The customer sees web app is cheaper and does not understand the technical advantages. That's the given conditions. That's why I was wondering how others make people Xamarin aware or Xamarin sensitive. Unfortunately, Xamarin is not as well known as the competition (Phone Gap, Appcelarator).

• RudaRuda BRUniversity ✭✭
    edited December 2013

It really is hard to win this comparison. But much depends on the type of system complexity, agility and other factors.

An example, an application that works offline and in need of data synchronization. It will be very difficult to achieve performance and security of data and operating correctly using the web.

So what I recommend for you is to have a sample application to show. A complex system with multiple pages, multiple items on the page, graphics and do the same native application, showing the performance difference between the two forms using eg 3G or Wifi, be able to work without internet system, simulate a loss of connection and the user.

• GavinGrantGavinGrant GBUniversity ✭✭✭

I have been in your position before. When I have a potential client that insists upon a web app (phonegap and the like) I simply walk away. I tell them that while I respect their views, I am a professional and would not be doing the client a service to create a inferior mobile user experience by using a web app based approach. Mobile apps are a marketing tool first and foremost. That's why so many are created. They give an end user an opportunity to experience what the company has to offer. If that experience is poor then the end user will think the experience of the company is poor. Studies have been done on this. So while the initial cost of a web app MAY appear cheaper, taken in not just financial terms they are not.

• wallymwallym USInsider, Beta ✭✭✭

The question about xamarin vs. the vendor directed approach is somewhat different. Xamarin is not the same as mobile web/phonegap/flash or the other cross platform tools. Applications built in xamarin look smell and taste just like java on android or objectivec from ios.

For me, the xamarin story is compelling for several reasons:
    1. Code sharing between iOS, Android, various windows flavors.
    2. an easy and cost effective entry into ios and android for .net/c# developers.
    3. Continue to use my existing toolset. I can use VS for Android, iOS, and ASP.NET development. I win.

The cost of purchasing xamarin is insignificant compared to the cost of setting up multiple platforms and becoming efficient in these platforms.

• wallymwallym USInsider, Beta ✭✭✭

Also, I thought I would share Billy Hollis' keynote. He doesn't specifically talk about the html5, phonegap, and native situation, but he does: http://visualstudiomagazine.com/blogs/vs-live-video/2013/12/billy-hollis-keynote.aspx

• DWestyDWesty USMember ✭✭

We all have are two cents on this matter. I actively develop html5, native and with Xamarin they all have there place.

@wallym made a lot of really good points. The thing I would stress is remember that you really shouldn't be putting implementation decisions ahead of requirements. You can't decide HOW until you know WHAT. If the client is going to pay you good money for HTML5 take it and when they decide they need more features and device integration guess what you need to start over from scratch and it will cost more.

• KevinMullinsKevinMullins USMember, Beta ✭✭

I agree, wallym did an excellent job of pointing out the benefits of Xamarin over a web app.

One point I'd like to add as well is maintenance, which is something most clients overlook. Saving a little money on the front end sounds great but what happens when the client wishes to expand upon the app?

Also I find it way easier to debug problems in Xamarin than in a web app or hybrid application.

That said, Dwesty makes a good point too... the tool should fit the problem and not the other way around.

Hope that helps.

• KraigSPEARKraigSPEAR USUniversity ✭✭

I would show the client something from the App Store that was done as a HTML wrapper, and something as similar as possible native.

Instead of talking code reuse or how your life might be better with Xamarin, show the best example of the quality difference between the two approaches.

If they don't care at that point, I would reevaluate if you really want to work for them.

• FxaddictedFxaddicted SAMember
    edited December 2013

"Xamarin cooperates with Microsoft, it's a save bet" (-> C: "American companies aren't always silver bullets")>

isn't all American companies ? Phonegap / Kendo UI / Appcelarator / Flash-Flex I mean All

BTW I'm not developer myself . I'm a Client and now someone creating my Twitter Client with Xamarin and i thanks God that was the best Decision i have made . i was planing to go with Kendo UI stuff but again thanks God that did not happen

One of the apps that created with Xamarin and changed my mind . it takes only 1 month to create this amazing App for 3 Platform
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/lions-official/id615261041?mt=8

• KrumelurKrumelur DEUniversity ✭✭

I know the Lions app. Pretty amazing. The argument about the American companies was meant in comparison to plain HTML/JScript.

• mh500mh500 FRMember

No disrespect, but the Android version is ranked very low: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sequence.lions (2.4). Most of the complaints are about the loading time.

• moljacmoljac HRBeta ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm surprised that very few people talk about huge codebase written in c# for desktop and/or WinMo (pre 7) which can be ported to iOS and Android with Xamarin. There is substantial number of companies that have invested and developed Windows Mobile apps and parts of desktop app feature sets that move to mobile devices (note parts - not everything can be ported and makes sense for being ported).

And if we take a look at architecture we have full stack from mobile clients, desktop/chubby clients to server side (web ASP.net) in single technology / programming language.

This used to be java's privilege, with Xamarin c# joined that club. OK with node.js javascript is there too, but I prefer strongly typed languages.

just my 2 cents (or was it 50 cent?)

mel

• yuvrajsinhyuvrajsinh INMember

Space-O Technologies, where I'm working right now, has a dedicated service page where you can hire Xamarin developers. I checked it out and found the list of reasons why you need to develop a mobile app using Xamarin.

I cropped the portion of this page which depicts comprehensive list. Enjoy.

Space-O Technologies, where I'm working right now, has a dedicated service page where you can hire Xamarin developers.

I checked it out and found the list of reasons why you need to develop a mobile app using Xamarin.

Space-O Technologies, where I'm working right now, has a dedicated service page where you can hire Xamarin developers.

I checked it out and found the list of reasons why you need to develop a mobile app using Xamarin.

• MikeDavis.3843MikeDavis.3843 USMember

Lot of discussion in App Development regarding the Xamarin: Is it really beneficial for those who really want to start development with Xamarin !! "A Quick Guide to the Benefits of Xamarin for Mobile App Development"

• bobLawsonbobLawson GBMember ✭✭

I dont think its a case of which is best, its more a case of which is best for the situation or the customer.

• Xamarin might be expensive but it is certainly more preferable despite its rigidity as the other platforms have issues which certainly override their obvious advantages over Xamarin. For e.g. Flutter is quite new and doesn't have much in terms of a robust app repository to be trusted fully for ground-up app development and on the other hand, react is powered by Facebook and of all things, I personally am really suspicious of anything that comes out of their service... Using their code can create internal security issues, so no, I wouldn't opt for it. Xamarin remains the most preferred out the lot and if you are willing to really know more and get an insightful review of all these three, then I have covered them in detail in my blog xamarin vs flutter. We, at TekRevol, push Xamarin and our customers never had any complaints over it, so that's that...