What are the plans for UrhoSharp?

EsaKEsaK SEMember ✭✭

I have been using UrhoSharp for the past 1,5 years (and have heavily invested my game on it). Generally speaking I'm really satisfied with it (I'm feeling really productive working with it).
BUT my concern is the support and maintenance of it, from Xamarin/Microsoft. There have been some activity from time to time from @EgorBo. But most of the time there's no activity going on at all, neither here on the forums nor in the GitHub repo.
I'm not asking to add new functionality to UrhoSharp, just support and maintain the bindings (keeping up with new releases of Urho3D, fixing bugs and answering questions here on the forum). I think it's come to the point where users don't even post questions here anymore, instead they go to the Urho3D forum for help.

I would like to know what the plans for UrhoSharp are, so that I (and the rest of UrhoSharp users) know how to proceed forward (either sticking with UrhoSharp or going to another game engine)?
I would really like continue using UrhoSharp, but I don't know if I dare (due to the insecure future of it).

I think UrhoSharp is a really great library, and I hate the thought of it "dying" (like CocosSharp seems to have).
SkiaSharp seems to get a lot more attention from Xamarin (based on the forum support).
What are the resources from Xamarin for UrhoSharp? Is it "just" @EgorBo that gets some time now and then to work with UrhoSharp (which is my impression right now)?

Finally, what's happening with the latest pre-release version on nuget? Isn't it time to publish a new "official" (stable) release?
I know there have been some bug fixes during the autumn, which I would like to get my hands on.

With the hope of getting some (honest) reply from Xamarin.

• MarcoTronconeMarcoTroncone GBUniversity ✭✭

Hi,

I have the same question here.

I'm starting to use UrhoSharp (that seems quite amazing) but I'm a bit worried that the project is not active anymore.

@EgorBo first of all thanks for your great job!

Do you have any info about the future of UrhoSharp?

Thank you

• modiXmodiX USMember ✭✭
    edited December 2017

It seems CocosSharp is inofficially dead and we can use UrhoSharp for 2D game development, too. So I also care an answer to this question here.

Hi @EgorBo,

I see on GitHub that you are actively working on Urho and it's a great news.

Can you tell us something about the future of UrhoSharp.

I started to study it and I would like to use it for my privates projects and for my company (a massive UK company) but before doing it, I'd like to have some reassurances about the future of this great engine.

Thank you again for your work!

• EsaKEsaK SEMember ✭✭
    edited December 2017

Based on the total silence from Xamarin regarding this topic (or any topic here) I can only draw one of the conclusions:
    A. Nobody from Xamarin reads this forum
    B. Xamarin doesn't want to communicate any plans about this engine
    C. Xamarin doesn't want to acknowledge that they have abandoned this engine

I truly hope that option C is not the case here...

but @EgorBo is actively working on it, less than 2 days ago, he updated urhosharp adding the support for ARCore.

So the project is still active (until now) but I suspect that EgorBo is the only active developer on it and probably not fulltime.

Anyway it would be great to have an updated nuget package and some official news

• MigueldeIcazaMigueldeIcaza USXamarin Team Xamurai

We plan to continue maintaining UrhoSharp.

Egor has been helping out in another component that we get a lot of requests for, but most of that work has now been completed and he should have more time to spend on UrhoSharp.

That said, our intention with UrhoSharp was to provide a binding, so most of the core engine work needs to be done upstream. Binding, packaging, tooling and availability are the kind of things that we support.

Generally, we would love to know more about what kind of things you would like to see, what challenges you face and how we could better support you.

• EsaKEsaK SEMember ✭✭

Thanks @MigueldeIcaza for your reply! It's really good to hear that you aim to continue maintaining UrhoSharp!

I understand that your goal is not to add/modify core engine functionality, and that's OK. This should be done in Urho3D.
    Here's some feedback what you could focus on (from my perspective):

• Release a new "official", stable nuget-package with the bug fixes made this autumn
    • Being more active on this forum, answering questions (not necessarily how to use specific aspects of Urho3D/UrhoSharp - it's OK to refer these kinds of questions to the Urho3D forum)
    • Improving and fixing bugs so that UrhoSharp is stable on all supported platforms (people seem for example having problems with UWP now)
    • Documenting the build process of UrhoSharp, and maybe improving the build process (making it simpler?)
    • Making a guide (and/or sample) of how to make bindings to the C++ side (if someone for example wants to bind to some C++ class/method)
    • Improving and extending the bindings, is all C++ Urho3D covered today? I would personally like to see a binding to Bullet-specific functionality (for example getHingeAngle())
    • Keeping the bindings up-to-date with new releases of Urho3D

Thanks for all your work with UrhoSharp! I'm eagerly waiting for @EgorBo to get his hands on this project again, not just short-term.
    In the long run, I would love to see him getting for example one day a week to work on and support/maintain UrhoSharp.

Hi @MigueldeIcaza,
    thank you for your reply.

It's good to know that the project is still supported.
    This is what I like for UrhoSharp:

• Updated Nuget packages
    • More resources allocated on the project (2 people full time?)
    • Adding a proper support for UWP (Desktop & mobile (Add ARM support)).
    • Make the build process easier so that we can build our own version without waiting for a new nuget package
    • More tools
    • Keep Urhosharp updated with Urho3d
    • Help the Urho3D team to improve the project

I'm using UrhoSharp for my personal projects but I'd love to use it in the company I work for too. We have some projects that we should start next year involving the AR but I need to be sure that Microsoft/Xamarin has plans for UrhoSharp before I introduce it in my team.
    Luckily we are a massive UK company and a Microsoft Partner so we where lucky enough to have a Xamarin/Microsoft person coming to our office few months ago to talk about the Xamarin future and discuss our plan with Xamarin.
    He assured us that Microsoft has no plans to dismiss Xamarin and that Xamarin will continue to be a supported tool in the Microsoft world (even if not the only one).
    I'd love to have the same assurance regarding UrhoSharp.

Thanks again for all the amazing work Xamarin is doing!

• utekaiutekai USMember ✭✭✭

Is urhosharp now end of lifed? and the new package is sharpreality?

• PaulBrennerPaulBrenner USUniversity ✭✭

@MigueldeIcaza is Egor still working on the other component? Last commit to Urho was over a month ago, and the last stable nuget is 4 months old...

• MigueldeIcazaMigueldeIcaza USXamarin Team Xamurai

SharpReality is just an abstraction (on top of UrhoSharp) that does augmented reality on multiple platforms.

• utekaiutekai USMember ✭✭✭

Great to hear this is still being supported. For me it's a fast and efficient platform for Hololens development projects.

It's great that there is finally a new nuget package. I stopped my projects with Urhosharp because I wasn't sure about its future but now it seems we can start to work again with it.

It is still part of your future plans?

Thanks

• EsaKEsaK SEMember ✭✭

Yes, it's great to see that there's a new nuget package.
    I'm still using Urhosharp, I have too much time invested into it already.
    I just wish that @EgorBo could be more active here on the forum (for example announcing the new release here).

@MigueldeIcaza is this still being supported? It seems dead. Last nuget release was 6+ months ago, last commit was in July. Could maybe the github page be cleaned up? It has 100+ issues, and 2 very old PRs. And could we get a new nuget build?