How to reuse Android SDK/NDK from VS 2015 when installing Xamarin in VS 2017?

Hi. Currently, on my laptop VS 2015 is installed together with Xamarin. It was painful process of setting it up. Now, there is a need to work on Xamarin project, but in VS 2017. I have installed VS 2017 community, but when I want to install Xamarin in it, I cannot choose not to install Android SDKs. Actually, I do not have enough space on C drive to install complete package. And moreover, why would I need to have yet another copy of Android SDK? I'll be so grateful if anyone can help.

Best Answer

• IvanSusicIvanSusic US ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

I did not find any solution for this, since in VS 2017 one cannot choose individual components when installing Xamarin. So, Android SDK 25 had to be installed. But later I could address old location of Android SDKs through Tools->Options->Xamarin->Android Settings, in field Android SDK location.

Answers

• because it is the latest version of android SDK ? why don you just delete your Android SDK then install it again when you installing xamarin

• IvanSusicIvanSusic USMember ✭✭

Hi, @TheodorusGumilang. Well, I can uninstall everything and install only VS 2017, can't I? But I would not have asked this question then. Thanks.

• i mean just delete the SDK folder so you have enough space then install it again

@TheodorusGumilang Actually, SDK folder is already on another partition :(.

Accepted Answer

I did not find any solution for this, since in VS 2017 one cannot choose individual components when installing Xamarin. So, Android SDK 25 had to be installed. But later I could address old location of Android SDKs through Tools->Options->Xamarin->Android Settings, in field Android SDK location.

• ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@IvanSusic said:
    @TheodorusGumilang Actually, SDK folder is already on another partition :(.

Good that you resolved your issue yourself.

But I am curious why you didn't want to upgrade to latest version of SDK? Were some of your apps SDK version dependent?

Actually, VS 2015 community was installed and we did some Xamarin projects. Now, for new project which was build under VS 2017, using c# 6, I needed to install VS 2017 also, and Xamarin in it. And I was wondering why I cannot just use SDKs which I already have on file system.