.NET Standard comes to the Xamarin.Forms project templates!

PierceBogganPierceBoggan USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai
edited November 13 in Xamarin Blog

You asked for it, now it's here! .NET Standard comes to the Xamarin.Forms project templates.

Give it a try and let us know what you think.

Feel free to discuss this post below.

• DirkWilhelmDirkWilhelm USMember ✭✭✭
    edited November 10

That link seems to be broken.

Edit: link works now

• AlessandroCaliaroAlessandroCaliaro ITMember ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks @PierceBoggan.
    So:
    1- Is PCL finally dead?
    2- When will it be available in XF4MAC?

• DirkWilhelmDirkWilhelm USMember ✭✭✭

@PierceBoggan.

i just tried the new template. In the iOS project the csproj contains the package reference to the newer 2.50-pre2 as expected, but there is still a packages.config created like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <packages>
      <package id="Xamarin.Forms" version="2.4.0.266-pre1" targetFramework="xamarinios10" />
    </packages>

Additionally it would be nice if we could edit the android.csproj and ios.csproj in VS2017 without the need to unload the project, just the same as we can edit the netstandard.csproj

• NickRandolphNickRandolph AUUniversity ✭✭
    edited November 10

@PierceBoggan I noticed the same as @DirkWilhelm that the template is referencing a preview version of xamarin forms - was this intentional (I don't think this is good practice even for a template that's in preview)

I'm still seeing that the Xamarin Forms libraries are still built as PCLs (even the preview build) - is this likely to change to be a true .NET Standard library any time soon?
    I'm judging this based on the assembly attributes. Currently it has:
    [assembly: TargetFramework(".NETPortable,Version=v4.5,Profile=Profile259", FrameworkDisplayName = ".NET Portable Subset")]

A .NET Standard library should show something similar to
    [assembly: TargetFramework(".NETStandard,Version=v1.0", FrameworkDisplayName = "")]

• MarkZhukovskyMarkZhukovsky USMember ✭✭

Would anyone mind sharing the template .ZIP? Don't want to download preview of VS to get it. I'd like to modify for my purposes (and as part of that, change the nuget for XF that it points to to the latest stable instead, fyi @NickRandolph ).

I second @DirkWillhelm 's nice to have of being able to edit the csproj files for the platform specific projects (UWP as well in addition to iOS and Android) within VS.