Can I access the network of my computer over USB during development/debugging

mdjmdj NLMember

Hi,
I'm developing a networked app in Xamarin.
During development my android device cannot access my company's wifi network.
Is there a way to still being able to debug/test/develop my app by routing network requests from my android device over an usb connection to my computer?

Thanks in advance

Tagged:

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not? Sounds like fixing that first issues is the most direct solution.

After that... What about tethering your device to a different wifi network such as your phone or sharing your PC's connection through WiFi?

Basically what I'm getting at is finding a way to use the normal and expected channels of connection before seeking out something exotic.

• mdjmdj NLMember

The simple reason is the we're not allowed to connect our mobile devices to our company network to which our desktop computers are connected. We've a distinct wifi for mobile devices but my dev computer is then not reachable.

I'm looking for the simplest way to setup a dev environment for mobile development without scarifying security of my company's IT infra. I'm not a network/computer expert so I hope there exist some clear steps to enable this. Do you have pointers to some information perhaps?

we're not allowed to connect our mobile devices to our company network to which our desktop computers are connected.

Well... Then it really doesn't matter if you can use the USB cable to provide network connectivity to your tablet - You'd still be in violation of putting the tablet on your company network.

A

So the next question to ask is - But doesn't it even need to be on the company network? If you debug via USB, and the tablet has an data/LTE provider then it can still get out to the internet.

B

We've a distinct wifi for mobile devices but my dev computer is then not reachable.

Assuming your ethernet is connected to the secured network, couldn't you connect to the same mobile wifi network as well? Then the table and PC could be seen on the same networ.

• mdjmdj NLMember

Thanks again for your help and your questions.
    We're developing an app and corresponding webapi service. While eventually, this service will run on a public available network, it currently only runs on my dev computer connected to my company's network. This is the same dev computer on which I develop my xamarin app. So, in order to test the app, it should be able to access the webs service running on my dev computer, while the mobile device hosting the app does not have access to my company's network.
    I'm looking for a way to accomplish this and some help in setting this up.

If the service is on your computer... and you can't put the tablet on the company network...

Can you take your PC off the company network... and put the computer and the tablet on their own network? Just make an adhoc network on the PC and add the tablet to it.

Or take the PC off the company "desktop" network... put the PC on the "mobile permitted network", and then it and the tablet will be on the same network.

• mdjmdj NLMember

Yes, I guess I need something like that. Will figure out with IT dep. Thanks again.