iOS11 - Background App Refresh not working

On our devices that have upgraded to iOS11, the Background App Refresh has stopped working.
All the settings regarding "Background App Refresh" in 'Settings' look fine, but the public override async void PerformFetch does not fire. I have no crashes in HockeyApp.
I have the same problem on iPad's and my iPhone 5s (11.0.3 15a432), and the Simulator (iPhone 8, iOS 11 15a372).
Our devices that are still on iOS 10 are working fine.

I have the MinimumBackgroundFetchInterval set to 900.

Does anyone else have a similar problem?

This is difficult to debug due to the unpredictable timing of the background fetches. Does anyone have a reliable way of triggering them?

I repeat, this is still working fine on iOS 10, it is only on devices that have updated to iOS11. Fresh install and existing installs both do not work.

Thanks,
Steve

Answers

• PhilippovAndreyPhilippovAndrey RUMember ✭✭

We have the same problem. Our app continuously work in the background: get ranged beacons and send info to server every few seconds. On iOS 10 there is no problem, but iOS 11 stops doing background work right after app was send to background. We made a few tests and in some random cases our logic start working in background after 2 (
    less often 1) reopen times. In out case we think that this is due to changes in the work of the iOS location service.

• BenIzadiBenIzadi USMember

This issue hit me too. Many of the sample application I had previously working with iOS10 no longer triggers the background service... its 12 Nov and I am on Alpha version of the Xamarin and no fix for this yet.