No Firebase support in forms ?

StephenHauckStephenHauck USMember ✭✭✭

I see lots of platform specific implementations of Firebase and such from Xamarin but how about acknowledging that Firebase is way ahead of Azure and supporting it on Xamarin forms?

Come on guys ..... I have been using forms because you said it was going to only get better over time and it has but it seems you are ignoring one of the MOST SIGNIFICANT backend platforms in Firebase.

I may have missed the cross platform implementation somewhere so if I have please point me to it.

Thanks

Answers

• RogerHardimanRogerHardiman GBMember ✭✭

Xamarin Forms is a cross platform Graphical User Interface (so icons, buttons, images, lists).
    Forms does not contain anything to link to backend platforms.

So you need to move your question over to one of the other Forums.

There are Xamarin Tutorials for some parts of Firebase but look like they relate to running on Android Devices.
    https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/android/application_fundamentals/notifications/firebase-cloud-messaging/

If you want cross platform (e.g. to use it from other OS's) then Wikipedia tells me there are some OpenSource Firebase libraries and there are Xamarin tutorials for using 3rd party libraries under Android and iOS

• StephenHauckStephenHauck USMember ✭✭✭

Wow.... that sounds just like an answer from a Microsoft employee.......
    I have been using Xamarin since it was in beta and I know how it works and what it is.

.... guess it's time to start using Ionic for some things......

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University ✭✭✭✭✭

@StephenHauck said:
    Wow.... that sounds just like an answer from a Microsoft employee.......
    I have been using Xamarin since it was in beta and I know how it works and what it is.

.... guess it's time to start using Ionic for some things......

That's a tad harsh, he's just stating facts. FCM is not a Microsoft offering so it's inevitable they will spend more time getting Azure push notifications working with Xamarin/Forms.

Maybe try this plugin.

https://github.com/CrossGeeks/FirebasePushNotificationPlugin

There's a few forum threads on FCM and Xamarin forms.

Firebase has been around for some time and it FREES us from a lot of wasted time.... Azure is playing catch up in many respects......

Google is at fault as well for not supporting Xamarin

I was under the impression that interfacing to Android and iOS SDK's had been largely automated by Xamarin a while back.....

Like I said, seems like it's time to fragment my development and use a combination of ....
    1. ionic and Firebase
    2. Xamarin / ionic and RealmDB (not all customers embrace the cloud)
    3. Xamarin / ionic and Azure

• RaymondKellyRaymondKelly USMember ✭✭✭

I have been using Firebase for about a year now in my XF project. Using analytics and FCM. Was there something specific you were looking for?

edited November 2

How are you using it?
    Restful API's ?
    The real benefits are the database and auto sync....