How to run .IPA file on a iOS Simulator

SameerDixitSameerDixit INMember ✭✭

Does anyone have any idea on how to run a IPA file on a iOS Simulator? I am a QA and want to automate tests using Xamarin Test Recorder on MAC.
Developer has provided a IPA file and I need to run it on iOS Simulator so that I can automate tests using Test Recorder.

Tagged:

• JohnMillerJohnMiller USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@SameerDixit,

If the IPA file is compatible with a simulator, you can change the extension from .ipa to .zip and then extract it. You will find a Payload folder inside the .zip that has the .app file you need for Test Recorder.

• SameerDixitSameerDixit INMember ✭✭

How do I know that the IPA file is compatible with a simulator?

@SameerDixit,

You can try it with Test Recorder. It will fail to install if it's not compatible. If you want to test it ahead of time, use Terminal on the Mac and run this command

lipo -info myapp.app/myapp

Replace myapp with whatever the name of your files are after you extract them. You should see output for i386 x86_64. If you see output for only arm then it's for devices only.

• SameerDixitSameerDixit INMember ✭✭

Thanks @JohnMiller , I am getting the output armv7 arm64 which means it is for devices only. I connected a physical device and getting error 'Codesign'
    Please help.

@SameerDixit,

Ok, great. You'll have to go through the provisioning process to create the necessary certificates and provisions to put the app on your device.

This is a good guide to start with:
    https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/ios/getting_started/installation/device_provisioning/