CrossMessaging is not working for me in iOS

Will.ItraxWill.Itrax CAMember ✭✭✭

I am using xam.plugins.messaging to send email from within a Xamarin Forms PCL app created in Visual Studio 2017.

The following works in android. It opens a local email client with a message pre-populated with what I would expect to see. When I press send, the email is sent and a few moments later I receive it a my.self.

var emailMessenger = CrossMessaging.Current.EmailMessenger;
if (emailMessenger.CanSendEmail)
{
    var email = new EmailMessageBuilder()
      .To("[email protected]")
      .Subject("Testing")
      .Body("This is a test")
      .Build();
    emailMessenger.SendEmail(email);
} 

In iOS however, it does nothing. It does not open an email client and it does not send an email to my.self.
I would be grateful to anyone that can explain what I am missing here.
Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• Luis_dmLuis_dm USMember ✭✭✭

Xam.Plugins.Messaging, is installed on iOS?

• Will.ItraxWill.Itrax CAMember ✭✭✭

@LuisRodriguez92 Good question. Yes it is.

Are you testing in a simulator?

@LuisRodriguez92 No, on an ipad.

It could be that you have not logged in to the Mail application on the iPad. Check this.

@LuisRodriguez92 Another good suggestion. Gmail was running and I also started Outlook up. Then I tried again. I can step through the code and at the end it does nothing. Not even a warning or error.

Oh wait. There is a Warning:

Warning: Attempt to present 
        <MFMailComposeViewController: 0x181d1a00> on        
                       <Xamarin_Forms_Platform_iOS_PageRenderer: 0x19e9aa60> 
        whose view is not in the window hierarchy!

In Android, this code opens up an email client and is ready to send a message. I would expect iOS to work the same. It looks like it is trying to open something but can't. Have you come across this?
    Thanks.

edited October 2017

I referred to this Mail application : image

• RogerSchmidlinRogerSchmidlin CHUniversity ✭✭✭

Did anyone get this to work on iOS sending mails going through gmail?

edited November 2017

@RogerSchmidlin Thanks for asking. Your question prompted me to post this follow-up. First I'll post the code and then my experience. Unfortunately, I do not recall what got me from "It does not open an email client" to "it works".
    This is the heart of it:

var emailMessenger = CrossMessaging.Current.EmailMessenger;
                    if (emailMessenger.CanSendEmail)
                    {
                        string subject = Someclass.Subject;

var email = new EmailMessageBuilder()
                      .To("")
                                  //.Cc("[email protected]")
                                  //.Bcc(new[] { "[email protected]", "[email protected]" })
                      .Subject(subject)
                      .Body("")
                      .WithAttachment(SomeClass.FilePath, "pdf")
                      .Build();

emailMessenger_iOS.SendEmail(email);
                    }

What this does is open up the native email app with the subject filled in and the attachment, well, attached. Then I get to fill in the To: portion (as required by our specs).

This works on some of my iOS devices but not all. The one it does not work on is a bit older and not used for sending email anyway, so it may not be set up for sending mail (that's a good thing to check for ahead of time ;- ) What I mean by 'does not work' - is it opens the mail client but nothing gets sent.

Edit: In my test on iOS just now, I stopped when I pressed send and got the whoosh sound indicating that the mail was sent. However, it did not arrive at the destination. So, it is not quite working yet. Sorry.

Edit 2: So, I tried it on a different iPad and it worked. Since the code is the same, it must have something to do with the setup of the devices.

• DeveshMishraDeveshMishra USMember ✭✭

I am trying to use the same plugin for sending email & sms. But unfortunately i am not able to install (plugin version 5.2.0) it in Visual Studio 2015. Getting error...

Could not install package 'Xamarin.Android.Support.Core.Utils 27.0.2'. You are trying to install this package into a project that targets 'MonoAndroid,Version=v8.0', but the package does not contain any assembly references or content files that are compatible with that framework. For more information, contact the package author.

Can you move to VS 2017? That's what I am using.

@Sreeee Thanks for the comments and links. Very helpful.