New dev machine, PC laptop or Macbook Pro?

LindsayMilesLindsayMiles CAMember ✭✭

Hello,

Just thought I'd look for some input seeing I'm about to spend $$$.

Either new PC laptop, Win10, VS2017 etc etc, connect to existing Mac/xcode for iOS dev work/build purposes.
OR
New Macbook Pro, run Win10 in parallels or vmware and VS2017 there, connect to Xcode on host machine for iOS work/build purposes..

Btw, projects include an Azure App Service and need do some work outside of the Xamarin env. and only Azure and ASP.Net, hence on a Win10 instance, however that may be set up.

Not doing any Windows apps at all. Android & iOS only.

Your thoughts? :smiley:

thx!

Best Answers

Answers

• LyndonHugheyLyndonHughey USUniversity ✭✭✭

You'll need a solid Mac environment for ios development. With that in mind, I'd pick up a MBP.

• mikeacostamikeacosta USUniversity ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

I would agree that in general, for iOS dev, you'd need a MBP, but the fact you already have a Mac makes it less clear.

FWIW, I work w/guys doing Xamarin.iOS dev. I guess I just assumed they were using MBP, but during an online demo, I was surprised to see the lead guy using Win10 & VS2017.

If you go MBP w/Parallels, imo you need to go top shelf specs-wise: 1TB SSD + 16GB RAM. This could potentially make price a greater issue.

Sincerely,

a guy running Parallels on a 512GB SSD/8GB RAM MBP

• LindsayMilesLindsayMiles CAMember ✭✭

Thx, I find that the same tech spec in PC is less than half, HALF that of the same Mac.
    As much as I'd love a new Mac, outrageous pricing really...

So, here's what I'm considering... black friday coming up, MIGHT find a deal :smiley:

iMac 21" (going to 27" adds an extra $1000!)
    3.6GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor
    32GB 2400MHz DDR4
    1TB Fusion Drive
    Radeon Pro 560 with 4GB video memory

Parallels Desktop 13 with Windows 10 then Visual Studio 2017, etc.
    I'll need to put latest Xcode 9 on the Mac.

I know that's not a bad setup BUT...

Any pitfalls to be aware of?
    Setup of Parallels then VS and Xcode?
    Getting it all to play nicely?

Thx

• kizanlikkizanlik TRMember ✭✭

Hi @LindsayMiles

I have 3 years old iMac 27", i7 @3.5 GHz., 250GB SSD, 16GB RAM. It is still fast enough for a developer. So, don't worry about the hardware. You should consider a SSD disk instead of a Fusion Drive.

When it comes to VM, I suggest you going with VMware Fusion. It makes you feel like using a Windows PC.

@kizanlik, thanks for input and suggestion. Will look at SSD but they get really expensive as capacity goes up.

Parallels vs VMware? it's been a while since I used either.
    Anyone else have an opinion on VMware over Parallels?

Thx

@LyndonHughey! what an excellent reply, thanks for the info. Will take ALL into consideration.

For hardware I'm leaning toward iMac as mobility isn't key AND I get more for the $ than with MBP. Still, I can be swayed...
    I'm leaning toward Parallels too. I've used it before but ages ago...over 5 years ago.

My thought was to replicate my current setup as close as possible with iOS emulators on the Mac and Android emulators running in Windows.

Might reach out if I run into a hurdle...

Thx!

@LyndonHughey, all great advice, thanks for your insight!