New dev machine, PC laptop or Macbook Pro?

LindsayMilesLindsayMiles CAMember ✭✭

Hello,

Just thought I'd look for some input seeing I'm about to spend $$$.

Either new PC laptop, Win10, VS2017 etc etc, connect to existing Mac/xcode for iOS dev work/build purposes.
OR
New Macbook Pro, run Win10 in parallels or vmware and VS2017 there, connect to Xcode on host machine for iOS work/build purposes..

Btw, projects include an Azure App Service and need do some work outside of the Xamarin env. and only Azure and ASP.Net, hence on a Win10 instance, however that may be set up.

Not doing any Windows apps at all. Android & iOS only.

Your thoughts? :smiley:

thx!

Answers

• LyndonHugheyLyndonHughey USUniversity ✭✭✭

You'll need a solid Mac environment for ios development. With that in mind, I'd pick up a MBP.

• mikeacostamikeacosta USUniversity ✭✭✭
    edited October 20

I would agree that in general, for iOS dev, you'd need a MBP, but the fact you already have a Mac makes it less clear.

FWIW, I work w/guys doing Xamarin.iOS dev. I guess I just assumed they were using MBP, but during an online demo, I was surprised to see the lead guy using Win10 & VS2017.

If you go MBP w/Parallels, imo you need to go top shelf specs-wise: 1TB SSD + 16GB RAM. This could potentially make price a greater issue.

Sincerely,

a guy running Parallels on a 512GB SSD/8GB RAM MBP

• LindsayMilesLindsayMiles CAMember ✭✭

Thx, I find that the same tech spec in PC is less than half, HALF that of the same Mac.
    As much as I'd love a new Mac, outrageous pricing really...