VS Windows - Long File Names/Paths

wallymwallym USInsider, Beta ✭✭✭

How well does VS Windows with a Xamarin Forms app and an Android app and some nuget packages handle the windows long path/file name features? Can I go over the 260 character limit in windows if I enable it in my local policy editor?

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Try to avoid it - We find it gets squirrely in TFS. Some of the nuget files have massive names because they put profile support in the name...

wp8+wp+uwp+droid+ios+blah+blah+blah {....{

• adamvolvanadamvolvan Member

I have used a "Long Path Tool" software to resolve error messages like: path too long, cannot delete file, too long path, destination path is too long, etc. and it is very helpful for me.

• PierceBogganPierceBoggan USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

Unfortunately, Visual Studio doesn't respect the new long path feature in Windows 10, so even if you change the registry value, it will be ignored.

We're working on a better user experience to at least let you know when something goes wrong due to a path issue, and help you to resolve the issue by moving it to a shorter, valid path.