Popups with custom content

AndrewMobileAndrewMobile USMember ✭✭✭✭
edited October 17 in Xamarin.Forms Evolution

Instead of using https://github.com/rotorgames/Rg.Plugins.Popup/ we could have this featured baked right in the framework.

It's a common feature which a lot of apps need it.

I will edit this post with how the API would look like and other details necessary, but like I mentioned in other posts here, I first need some feedback from Xamarin team that this would be something they would accept as a contribution.

0 votes

Open · Last Updated

• Max25Max25 FRMember ✭✭

+1

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University ✭✭✭✭✭

The popover has been moved on to the backlog which means it'll probably never appear....

Backlog
    Startup Time Improvements
    Binding System Updates including OneTime Mode
    XAMLC Improvements
    CarouselView v1 Stable
    Visual State Manager
    Popover Control
    View Lifecycle Events
    Better Desktop Support
    CSS-Like Styling
    MenuPage
    RelativePanel
    Xamarin.Forms for WPF
    Design Updates for iOS, Android Material, and UWP Fluent

• AndrewMobileAndrewMobile USMember ✭✭✭✭

@NMackay Thanks. but where did you get that information?
    I wasn't aware of any 'backlog'. I see super useful features like OneTime binding mode, VisualStateManager, Popover. Sad.

edited October 17

@NMackay Thanks. But I wonder if Xamarin would still accept a PR earlier for popups? This isn't something we can wait for years before it gets implemented, if it ever does.
    I wonder if anyone from the XF teams looks at this forum.

@AndrewMobile said:
    @NMackay Thanks. But I wonder if Xamarin would still accept a PR earlier for popups? This isn't something we can wait for years before it gets implemented, if it ever does

Don't know, Adam's merged dictionary PR took ages to be accepted, the carousel PR for example can't be merged due to licencing issues I believe. Maybe ping one of the team via github or directly here.

@NMackay said:
    Don't know, Adam's merged dictionary PR took ages to be accepted

Yeah, I saw that too. It's not a good sign. After you worked on a PR, it doesn't feel good not even getting feedback.

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

@AndrewMobile said:
    Instead of using https://github.com/rotorgames/Rg.Plugins.Popup/ we could have this featured baked right in the framework.

Since it isn't going to get baked in at a Xamarin/OEM level (let's be honest, it won't - at least not for years)...
    And since the originator of that free package has fallen silent; basically abandoned the project...
    Maybe the most direct route is for someone to fork off the existing project and take up the mantel of maintaining it. Seems it would be easier than starting from scratch.

@ClintStLaurent said:

@AndrewMobile said:

Since it isn't going to get baked in at a Xamarin/OEM level (let's be honest, it won't - at least not for years)...
    And since the originator of that free package has fallen silent; basically abandoned the project...
    Maybe the most direct route is for someone to fork off the existing project and take up the mantel of maintaining it. Seems it would be easier than starting from scratch.

Probably the best approach, popups are a real issue, our app heavily relies on them and Rg.Plugins.Popup.

• @ClintStLaurent said:

+1 there have been a number of issues that came up with XF 2.4.x. people are requesting these bugs to be fixed on Git but sadly no answers from the originator. I seriously hope someone decides to fork the existing project and provide support for it. If I had more knowledge of git/nuget, I would of done this already.

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

Our Popover branch is here with a basic iOS implementation: https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/tree/popover

Give that a look and see if it meets your needs.

@AndrewMobile we'd be willing to take this contribution, and certainly if it follows and builds upon the work begun in that branch. I'll sync with the engineering team on it and see if we can agree on that and the API spec.

Let me know what you think of the Popover branch.

• Hi there. I'm author of Rg.Plugins.Popup and I will update this library soon but I would like to see Popover in Xamarin.Forms because I can't use internal and private methods of Xamarin.Forms and I have to write dirt code because of it.