How to set/get the App version number and build for cross-platform ?

Using VS 2017 and Xamarin Forms 2.3.4.237
Cross platform - iOS and Android

I'd like to accomplish two things:

1) Set an 'automatic build' number that increments each time I build my project (eg. 0.0.1 > 0.0.2....0.1.0 etc)
2) Get the build number so that I can add it to an About screen (or similar) so that I can track my version/builds.

How can I do these two things?

Tagged:

Answers

• ShahidAli.7296ShahidAli.7296 USMember ✭✭

Hi @weh ,

Its a very loaded question and I don't think you will have any luck with automation unless proven otherwise. Essentially you got couple of options:

1: You can use Settings plugin (https://github.com/jamesmontemagno/SettingsPlugin) to store the version number (Note: no automation, values must be set manually) in a key/value format and retrieve it whenever you need.

2: Use Akavache plugin (which uses SQLite) to store the version info in a key/value format and display it whenever required.

3: Static helper class with static properties holding version info.

4: Store nothing on the client (a bit of an overkill) and get the back end api to return the version info.

Hope that answer your question.

• DirkWilhelmDirkWilhelm USMember ✭✭✭✭

With a dependency service you can read the version and build number from the androidmanifest.xml and from the info.plist for ios.

For android i set the versionName in the manifest to my version number and the versionCode to the build number.
    For ios i set the CFBundleShortVersionString to my version number and CFBundleVersion to the build number.

• ShahidAli.7296ShahidAli.7296 USMember ✭✭

@DirkWilhelm

Presumably Build number has to be updated with each version of the app ?

• DirkWilhelmDirkWilhelm USMember ✭✭✭✭

@ShahidAli.7296 I'm using a gitlab ci build system, so i can use the buildid from that system to automatically update the manifest for android and info.plist for ios on each build.

I guess something similar would be possible for manual builds in VS using pre-build events

• wehweh USMember ✭✭

(To all that responded) - First, thanks for the suggestions.
    Next - when I wrote code in VB6 you could do this without any added code:

versionString = App.Major & "." & App.Minor & "." & App.Revision

I'm guessing from your responses that something this straightforward is not possible...

• voidstreamvoidstream FRMember ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

@DirkWilhelm said:
    With a dependency service you can read the version and build number from the androidmanifest.xml and from the info.plist for ios.

For android i set the versionName in the manifest to my version number and the versionCode to the build number.
    For ios i set the CFBundleShortVersionString to my version number and CFBundleVersion to the build number.

I don't have test, but i think the dependency service is the answer!
    Find how get infos for each projects and use an interface to access it with dependency service.

• wehweh USMember ✭✭

OK, I'll dig around and see if I can find the solution - thanks.

• KingDavid3KingDavid3 USMember ✭✭
    edited January 2018

@DirkWilhelm this is by far one of the simplest, thorough and informative descriptions of how to create and use a dependency service.
    Well done.

• Does these version numbers count for the versions checkeed on iTunesConnect when uploading ?

Thanx
    Eigil

• Abhijeet_SuryaAbhijeet_Surya USMember ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    public class VersionInfo {
        public VersionInfo (string versionNumber, string buildNumber) {
            VersionNumber = versionNumber;
            BuildNumber = buildNumber;
        }

public string VersionNumber {
            get;
        }

public string BuildNumber {
            get;
        }
    }

public interface IAppVersion {
        VersionInfo GetVersionAndBuildNumber ();
    }

public class AppVersion : IAppVersion {
        public VersionInfo GetVersionAndBuildNumber () {
            Context context = global::Android.App.Application.Context;
            Android.Content.PM.PackageManager manager = context.PackageManager;
            Android.Content.PM.PackageInfo info = manager.GetPackageInfo (context.PackageName, 0);

return new VersionInfo (info.VersionName, info.VersionCode.ToString ());
        }
    }

public VersionInfo GetVersionAndBuildNumber () {
        return new VersionInfo (NSBundle.MainBundle.ObjectForInfoDictionary ("CFBundleShortVersionString").ToString (), NSBundle.MainBundle.ObjectForInfoDictionary ("CFBundleVersion").ToString ());
    }

• manasaavmanasaav INMember ✭✭✭

i tried dirk...... can you please help me out ..I am getting object reference not set to an instance of object.

• JerryGonzalezJerryGonzalez USMember

@DirkWilhelm

Great solution! How would you go about doing this for a UWP project?

• SgtJukkerSgtJukker USMember ✭✭
    edited July 2018

@JerryGonzalez

Implement the interface like this:

[assembly: Xamarin.Forms.Dependency(typeof(Your.Namespace.UWP.Version_UWP))]
    namespace Your.Namespace.UWP
    {
        public class Version_UWP : IAppVersion
        {
            public string GetVersion()
            {
                return typeof(App).GetTypeInfo().Assembly.GetName().Version.ToString();
            }

public string GetBuild()
            {
                return typeof(App).GetTypeInfo().Assembly.GetName().Version.Build.ToString();
            }
        }
    }

• I joined Xamarin Forums moments ago JUST to say:

@DirkWilhelm, @SgtJukker, and everyone else, thank you for your very helpful answers!

• nick5454nick5454 USUniversity ✭✭✭

@JerryGonzalez said:
    @DirkWilhelm

Great solution! How would you go about doing this for a UWP project?

@kaolick said:
    You could use Xamarin.Essentials package for getting app version and build number like this (see here).

// Application Version (1.0.0)
    var version = AppInfo.VersionString;

// Application Build Number (1)
    var build = AppInfo.BuildString;

@kaolick Best answer!