Forum Visual Studio

MSbuild Xamarin.Forms.Android project not building when using buildscript

I'm trying to build an Xamarin.Forms Android project from within another visualstudio project.
My idea was to do that by executing a cmd command, or a .bat file.

I tested the msbuild command that builds the Xamarin.Forms.Android project:

MSBuild /t:SignAndroidPackage /p:Configuration=Release C:\Users\...\...\...\MyApp.Android.csproj

this command is working in the "Developer command prompt for VS 2017"
If I execute this in cmd.exe I get errors:

what I want is to get the command working in cmd.exe, or open the dev cmd vs2017 from a script.
I learned that the dev cmd vs 2017 is just a batfile that gets called before cmd.exe, so I did the same in my build.bat:

CALL "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\Tools\VsDevCmd.bat"
MSBuild /t:SignAndroidPackage /p:Configuration=Release C:\Users\...\...\...\MyApp.Android.csproj
pause

But this still results in an error, I tried different bat files: vsvars32.bat, VsDevCmd.bat, as admin, added my MSBuild line directly in these files, It all ends with multiple errors:

The type 'IDisposable' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'netstand
ard, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=cc7b13ffcd2ddd51'.

this error repeats a few times with different types. But I don't think the error is the problem cause my Xamarin.Forms.Android project build fine if I open the Dev cmd vs2017 manual, and enter the same MSBuild command.

Anyone who knows more about this problem, or can help me solve it?

Best Answer

• washichiwashichi US
    Accepted Answer

I found a way to get it working:

var processInfo = new ProcessStartInfo("C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\2017\\Community\\Common7\\Tools\\VsDevCmd.bat");
    processInfo.WindowStyle = ProcessWindowStyle.Hidden;
    var process = Process.Start(processInfo);
    process.WaitForExit();
    process.Close();

in my VsDevCmd.bat (as last command to execute) I added the MSbuild command:
    MSBuild /t:SignAndroidPackage /p:Configuration=Release C:\Users\....\App\App.Android\App.Android.csproj

This only works If I execute one command from my program (I can't run the .bat file and then the MSbuild command)
    and It only works if I run VsDevCmd.bat from its original location,
    so it's a dirty fix, but it works.

Answers

• washichiwashichi USMember
    edited October 2017

I found a dirty fix to solve the problem;

created a function that calls the developer command prompt for VS2017:
    private bool BuildApk() { try { var processInfo = new ProcessStartInfo("C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\2017\\Community\\Common7\\Tools\\VsDevCmd.bat"); processInfo.WindowStyle = ProcessWindowStyle.Hidden; var process = Process.Start(processInfo); process.WaitForExit(); process.Close(); return true; } catch (Exception e) { Console.WriteLine(e); return false; } }

In VsDevCmd, as last action before goto:end I added this command :
    MSBuild /t:SignAndroidPackage /p:Configuration=Release C:\..........\Program\Program.Android\Program.Android.csproj

This is only working if I add the MSBuild command inside the file, and execute it from the original location, so it's a dirty solution, but it works.

• washichiwashichi USMember
    Accepted Answer

I found a way to get it working:

var processInfo = new ProcessStartInfo("C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\2017\\Community\\Common7\\Tools\\VsDevCmd.bat");
    processInfo.WindowStyle = ProcessWindowStyle.Hidden;
    var process = Process.Start(processInfo);
    process.WaitForExit();
    process.Close();

in my VsDevCmd.bat (as last command to execute) I added the MSbuild command:
    MSBuild /t:SignAndroidPackage /p:Configuration=Release C:\Users\....\App\App.Android\App.Android.csproj

This only works If I execute one command from my program (I can't run the .bat file and then the MSbuild command)
    and It only works if I run VsDevCmd.bat from its original location,
    so it's a dirty fix, but it works.