Current Release: 15.4 Feature Release

2»

• DRSouzaDRSouza USMember

@AndrewMobile said:
    All the posts here look so scary to me. Does the latest release actually work to anyone? :neutral:

Is there a list with all known issues up to this day?

I took a chance with this but no success. Same problem of freezing here. =/

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited October 17

All the posts here look so scary to me. ... Is there a list with all known issues up to this day?

In case it might be useful reference, here's a summary of items from this thread:

• The MFractor issue in Visual Studio for Mac is resolved by the new version of MFractor.
    • The hangs in Visual Studio 2015 (and maybe also Visual Studio 2017) (most likely all related to the GetAdditionalResourcesFromAssemblies task) are under investigation in Bug 60080, with a potential partial temporary workaround of deleting the hidden .vs directory in the solution directory.
    • The avd manager issue sounds like it is potentially an upstream issue in the Android tools from Google. Fortunately, it sounds like there is a workaround.
    • The "Xamarin 4.7.10.22 updates, breaks XF existing projects" issue appears to be a case of the old unfortunate upstream sensitivity of the Visual Studio extension mechanism. It might be resolved by a careful clean of the Visual Studio installation, including deleting the MEF component cache, followed by a reinstall. If not, then any user seeing the issue can report a bug for further investigation by the team, as described earlier in the thread. (I didn't find any recent bug reports on Bugzilla for Visual Studio 2015 or problem reports on Developer Community for Visual Studio 2017 that mention "unsupported by this installation".) Thanks!
    • The "really messy and strange errors" issue is resolved by a new version of Xamarin.Android.Support.Vector.Drawable (see Bug 60194).
    • The issue with breakpoints in async methods in Visual Studio for Mac is under investigation in Bug 60201.

I believe that is the complete list of items mentioned in this thread. To see the list of all reported issues, you can also check:

edited October 18

Developer Community allows sorting by votes and dates to help find the most relevant issues.

Since Bugzilla doesn't offer a way sort by number of users, here is a list of Bugzilla reports with activity since the Xamarin 15.4 Release that are being watched by at least 2 users, sorted by the number of users, and manually filtered to differences in the Xamarin 15.4 Release compared to the 15.3 Release:

• Bug 60069 - [Xamarin.Android] Build.getSerial is not bound in Android API 26, causes conflict with Build.Serial, which is now deprecated
    • Bug 60080 - [Visual Studio Tools for Xamarin] [Xamarin.Android] After upgrading to latest Xamarin- Visual studio 2015 stuck/hangs at initialization of xamarin.andorid project while loading projects
    • Bug 59302 - [Mono Framework MDK] Xamarin.UITest 2.1.3 with Mono 5.4 is throwing exception "Length cannot be less than zero"
    • Bug 59364 - [Mono Framework MDK] Assertion at dynamic-image.c:209, condition `prev == MONO_HANDLE_RAW (obj)' not met
    • Bug 60151 - [Visual Studio for Mac] Unable to build project using vstool
  • PaulJohnson.0531PaulJohnson.0531 GBMember ✭✭

The latest v7 android support libraries seem borked as well - getting

Mono.Cecil.ResolutionException: Failed to resolve Android.Support.V7.App.NotificationCompat/MediaStyle Android.Support.V7.App.NotificationCompat/MediaStyle::SetMediaSession(Android.Support.V4.Media.Session.MediaSessionCompat/Token)

When building for release

• mridonimridoni ITMember ✭✭

Xamarin, I really like you, your tools and your work. But do you understand this is supposed to be the "stable" channel?

More to the point, the latest release cannot load my iOS/Android projects anymore in VS2015, on OSX it breaks with "XamlC task...". If I reinstall the previous version (in VS2015), it's "the Xamarin Shell Package could not be loaded". I did everything that I could think of, and everything that was suggested here, and nothing seems to work. The only thing I can do is installing the ancient 4.2 version that came (probably) with VS2015 Update 3 (that works); but after I reinstall 4.7.9.45 on top of it and try to reload an Android or iOS project,, VS2015 says that "I need to reinstall Xamarin"... My VS install is probably so corrupted by now that I have no other choice than delete it and reinstall everything, and of course this is going to take hours... Sorry, Xamarin, but this is a huge mess.

edited October 19

"the Xamarin Shell Package could not be loaded" ... "I need to reinstall Xamarin"

Unfortunately, those kinds of issues are most often "the old unfortunate upstream sensitivity of the Visual Studio extension mechanism" that I mentioned a couple comments ago. Visual Studio 2017 includes some improvements in that area compared to Visual Studio 2015, and my understanding is that it is also an active area for further future improvements in Visual Studio 2017 and beyond.

That all said, as I mentioned in the earlier comment, if a careful uninstall (see for example this guide) and reinstall of the Xamarin extensions doesn't resolve the issue, please do consider reporting a bug for further investigation by the Xamarin team who can help check on various possible conflicts in the extension installation mechanism. Thanks in advance!

• TheGreatOneTheGreatOne USMember ✭✭

I'm experiencing the same get serial bug in Android. Any update when the fix will be push?

@BrendanZagaeski said:

Developer Community allows sorting by votes and dates to help find the most relevant issues.

Since Bugzilla doesn't offer a way sort by number of users, here is a list of Bugzilla reports with activity since the Xamarin 15.4 Release that are being watched by at least 2 users, sorted by the number of users, and manually filtered to differences in the Xamarin 15.4 Release compared to the 15.3 Release:

• Bug 60069 - [Xamarin.Android] Build.getSerial is not bound in Android API 26, causes conflict with Build.Serial, which is now deprecated
    • Bug 60080 - [Visual Studio Tools for Xamarin] [Xamarin.Android] After upgrading to latest Xamarin- Visual studio 2015 stuck/hangs at initialization of xamarin.andorid project while loading projects
    • Bug 59302 - [Mono Framework MDK] Xamarin.UITest 2.1.3 with Mono 5.4 is throwing exception "Length cannot be less than zero"
    • Bug 59364 - [Mono Framework MDK] Assertion at dynamic-image.c:209, condition `prev == MONO_HANDLE_RAW (obj)' not met
    • Bug 60151 - [Visual Studio for Mac] Unable to build project using vstool
  • AmitDaveAmitDave USMember

I've opened a bug - haven't been able to get to build for few days now. This is really killing us, any chance someone can reply to it? Bug 60358 can't post link here apparently...

• OlafBarteltOlafBartelt DEMember ✭✭
    edited October 27

WTF is this ***? I had to upgrade Xamarin in order to update our iOS app, where the Push certificates are expiring soon, and now I have all kinds of other problems and cannot build anything at all? WTF? This is the stable channel, not some "oh, we're experimenting with some stuff that might or might not work channel". Seriously. And this is not the first time I spend hours or days trying to find the solution/a workaround. This is just so unacceptable, I'm beyond words right now!

edited October 27

And while we're at it. Why do I have to update iOS SDK to 11? I'm still developing for 9.3 and have no interest at this time to upgrade to the newest version. Why are making things so *** complicated for us? Do you know what updating Xcode, etc. will do to my setup? No, you probably don't, but it'll cost me the good part of a day to get all of that up and running. And that's time I don't have...

BTW, yes, "Link SDK assemblies only" seems to do the trick (at least it's launching my app, haven't tested further), but I had it set on "Don't link" (on the simulator). Why wouldn't that work, too?

EDIT: just found out that Xcode 9 requires Sierra, so I'll have to update my Mac, too. Which needed a reinstall last time I did that. Thanks, Xamarin!

edited October 27

Oh, and I've found a bug, I think. My (android in that case) project references a library which has some styles defined, as well as assemblies that are using that styles (by class attribute). Which worked fine up until the latest release. Now I have to include the styles in my main app styles.xml as well, because otherwise it complains that it can't find the theme!?

And a previously perfectly working selector for ListView now only shows some weird white, half-transparent icon (like forbidden or something) instead. Any idea?

EDIT: the problem with the selector is the same as with the theme. It's defined in the library and if I copy it over to the main app, it works. But that's not how I want it to be or how it needed to be in previous versions. You can't expect any user of a library to copy everything over to their project...

And no, my iOS app doesn't work. It crashed on or after the splash screen with this:

Runtime critical type Mono.RuntimeStructs/HandleStackMark not found

• LjusnanLjusnan DEMember ✭✭✭
    edited October 27

@OlafBartelt said:
    Oh, and I've found a bug, I think. My (android in that case) project references a library which has some styles defined, as well as assemblies that are using that styles (by class attribute). Which worked fine up until the latest release. Now I have to include the styles in my main app styles.xml as well, because otherwise it complains that it can't find the theme!?

I've got the same problem. I have to use "rebuild" every time the code changes, otherwise it would not compile, because the resource.designer.cs is incomplete and the styles from the portable project are missing. If anyone knows how to fix this, please help.

@BrendanZagaeski Do you guys already know about this? I couldn't find something like this in bugzilla, but maybe I just missed it.

Why do I have to update iOS SDK to 11?

Let's take a look at the exact text of the error message:

MTOUCH : error MT0091: This version of Xamarin.iOS requires the iOS 11.0 SDK (shipped with Xcode 9). Either upgrade Xcode to get the required header files or set the managed linker behaviour to Link Framework SDKs Only (to try to avoid the new APIs).

In short, this requirement arises because Xamarin.iOS 11 must include the new native symbols from iOS 11 to be useful. (The reason for the Xamarin.iOS 11.0 release was to provide bindings for the new SDKs in iOS 11.) As with other software packages, these kinds of larger compatibility changes are specifically aligned with changes to the major version number of Xamarin.iOS (in this case between Xamarin.iOS 10.0 and Xamarin.iOS 11.0).

Additional information from the release notes:

• The static registrar requires Xcode 9 headers files to build applications, leading to MT0091 or MT4109 errors [if Xcode 8 is used instead];
    • Bitcode builds (for tvOS and watchOS) can fail submission to the App Store unless Xcode9 toolchain is used;

The document for MT0091 as linked in the release notes provides some additional information:

A potential, alternative solution is to enable the managed linker. This will remove unused API including, in most cases, the new API where the header files are missing (or incomplete). However this will not work if your project uses API that was introduced in a newer SDK than the one your Xcode provides.

And here are a few more notes from an edited version of Bug 59593, Comment 1:

It's not strictly required to update to Xcode 9 (Xcode 8 still works in some cases), and there are some possible workarounds such as enabling the managed linker for simulator builds, but they are not optimal. For example, since iOS 11 header files will not be available during compilation, application performance can suffer because the application must do additional symbol resolution work when it starts up.

I have to use "rebuild" every time the code changes, otherwise it would not compile, because the resource.designer.cs is incomplete

That sounds similar to Bug 60343. If by chance you might be able to provide the additional information about the issue as described in Comment 1 on that bug report, please do submit a new bug report with the information so the team can investigate. Thanks!

edited October 27

@BrendanZagaeski said:

Why do I have to update iOS SDK to 11?

Let's take a look at the exact text of the error message:

MTOUCH : error MT0091: This version of Xamarin.iOS requires the iOS 11.0 SDK (shipped with Xcode 9). Either upgrade Xcode to get the required header files or set the managed linker behaviour to Link Framework SDKs Only (to try to avoid the new APIs).

In short, this requirement arises because Xamarin.iOS 11 must include the new native symbols from iOS 11 to be useful. (The reason for the Xamarin.iOS 11.0 release was to provide bindings for the new SDKs in iOS 11.) As with other software packages, these kinds of larger compatibility changes are specifically aligned with changes to the major version number of Xamarin.iOS (in this case between Xamarin.iOS 10.0 and Xamarin.iOS 11.0).

Additional information from the release notes:

• The static registrar requires Xcode 9 headers files to build applications, leading to MT0091 or MT4109 errors [if Xcode 8 is used instead];
    • Bitcode builds (for tvOS and watchOS) can fail submission to the App Store unless Xcode9 toolchain is used;

The document for MT0091 as linked in the release notes provides some additional information:

A potential, alternative solution is to enable the managed linker. This will remove unused API including, in most cases, the new API where the header files are missing (or incomplete). However this will not work if your project uses API that was introduced in a newer SDK than the one your Xcode provides.

And here are a few more notes from an edited version of Bug 59593, Comment 1:

It's not strictly required to update to Xcode 9 (Xcode 8 still works in some cases), and there are some possible workarounds such as enabling the managed linker for simulator builds, but they are not optimal. For example, since iOS 11 header files will not be available during compilation, application performance can suffer because the application must do additional symbol resolution work when it starts up.

Ok, I can understand that and it would be ok if I had explicitly chosen to update Xamarin to 11.0. My problem was that either the Mac or the Windows part had already updated itself (or been updated due to updates for Xamarin.Android, I don't know), so that it told me that the version is incompatible and had to be updated. So that's what I did, though it never said anything about 11 or a new major release, but only something about Xamarin release 15.4 or something.

And as stated above, setting the linking method did only allow for the app to compile, but unfortunately it crashed on startup. And nothing was changed to the code since the last time I compiled it (and the version that is on the App Store).

I have now updated macOS to High Sierra, Xcode to 9.0.1 (I hope that that'll work, since 9.0 isn't in the App Store anymore) and installed Visual Studio for Mac. Just finished sigh I'll report back whether it works now or still doesn't...

edited October 27

UPDATE: after updating everything, cleaning the solution and rebuilding, it works (at least in the simulator, haven't tried the device yet).

• JohnRowseJohnRowse GBMember ✭✭

@AndrewMobile said:
    All the posts here look so scary to me. Does the latest release actually work to anyone? :neutral:

Is there a list with all known issues up to this day?

tell me about it. Xamarin, is there any chance you can release stable updates on the stable channel? If you want cheap community testing done, to save on salaires, save it for the appropriate channel...

2»