Current Release: 15.4 Feature Release

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Please see https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-15-4/ for the details about this release, including the steps to update or downgrade as needed.

This release is now available as part of Visual Studio 2017 version 15.4 and in the Stable updater channels for Visual Studio 2017 for Mac and Visual Studio 2015 Tools for Xamarin.

Bug reports wanted!

• Please file a quick bug report using the "15.4 Release" new bug form if you see any suspicious behavior in these versions that you wish to report.

• If you get any errors when using the form to submit, please select the Other link and then choose the desired product.
  • Comment in this forum thread if your question is not related to a suspicious behavior after download, but instead one of the following:

• You notice an error in the Release Blog post.
    • You have trouble downloading one of the installer packages.

• DanielWilliamsonDanielWilliamson USMember ✭✭

After updating I am unable to load or create new solutions. I get the following error.

"The type initializer for MonoDevelop.CSharp.Project.CSharpProject threw an exception"

Reinstalled all the frameworks and VSMac with no luck.

• IgorStrekhaIgorStrekha USMember ✭✭
    edited October 10

I cant open any projects. Long time vs is loading and initializing project. (10 min) and doesn't happened. How downgrade!

Downgraded. Previous version works good. Not freezing.

• kizanlikkizanlik TRMember ✭✭
    edited October 10

Sorry guys but this major upgrade is the worst one ever. All .xaml and .xaml.cs files are unlinked in projects and .xaml.cs files are duplicated. Unbelievable. Here is the error:

/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/5.4.0/lib/mono/msbuild/15.0/bin/Roslyn/Microsoft.CSharp.Core.targets(5,5): Error MSB3105: The item "UI/DataGrid.xaml.cs" was specified more than once in the "Sources" parameter. Duplicate items are not supported by the "Sources" parameter. (MSB3105)

Visual Studio for Mac on macOS High Sierra

Update: If I reveal a duplicated file in finder, I see one .xaml.cs file. If I remove one of the duplicates, the single source file is deleted.

Update2: I edited all project files by Right Click Project File -> Tools -> Edit File menu. I removed duplicate items in ItemsGroup like one below. There is not any issue for now.

<Compile Include="DataGrid.xaml.cs">
      <DependentUpon>DataGrid.xaml</DependentUpon>
      <SubType>Code</SubType>
    </Compile>

• RobertKnoxRobertKnox USMember
    edited October 10

I get the same issue with loading the project as mentioned above by Daniel and Igor.

How do you downgrade to the previous version of Visual Studio on Mac OSX?
    I can't find any installers for previous versions, only the web installer for the latest release.

• NamyslawSzymaniukNamyslawSzymaniuk USMember ✭✭✭
    edited October 10

For me it's working fine on Windows with VS, and XF project targetted with .NETStandard 1.4, but I'm still fighting to build project on Mac VS :neutral:
    VS on Mac tells me, that I need to install Nugets for MVVLight, IdentityModel, Newtonsoft.JSON etc. on Android na iOS sub-projects, which is completelly it not the case.

• EDITED: After installing Nugets for MVVLight, IdentityModel, Newtonsoft.JSON etc. on Android na iOS sub-projects, project is correctly building on Mac :neutral: :neutral: :neutral: straaange, it was working WITHOUT those nugets before update of VS.
  • ThomasGoerlichThomasGoerlich DEMember ✭✭
    edited October 10

Visual Studio 2015 stops loading my project after a moment and the IDE freezes. Creating and loading a new project works fine.
    Is there anything i can delete to make VS load my project again? Clear some sort of cache or something? Or is there a log which might indicate whats going wrong?
    Is there an option to downgrade to a previous version of Xamarin in VS2015?

--- EDIT
    okay after deleting the cache at
    C:\Users[user]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio[version]\ComponentModelCache
    as well as
    C:\Users[user]\AppData\Local\Temp
    Visual Studio is loading my solution again (but can't load the iOS and Android project) but throws a couple of errors like "The 'XamarinShellPackage' package did not load correctly." referencing the file C:\Users\thomas.goerlich\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\ActivityLog.xml for more details.
    Inside that file i found errors like:

Error

VisualStudio
    LegacySitePackage failed for package [XamarinShellPackage]Source: 'mscorlib' Description: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information. System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information. at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes(RuntimeModule module) at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes() at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes() at Clide.CommonComposition.ComponentCatalog.<>c.<.ctor>b__0_0(Assembly a) in C:\projects\clide\src\Clide\External\CommonComposition.Mef\ComponentCatalog.cs:line 34 at System.Linq.Enumerable.<SelectManyIterator>d__162.MoveNext()&#x000D;&#x000A; at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectEnumerableIterator2.MoveNext() at System.ComponentModel.Composition.Hosting.TypeCatalog.InitializeTypeCatalog(IEnumerable1 types)&#x000D;&#x000A; at System.ComponentModel.Composition.Hosting.TypeCatalog..ctor(IEnumerable1 types) at Clide.CommonComposition.ComponentCatalog..ctor(IEnumerable1 types) in C:\projects\clide\src\Clide\External\CommonComposition.Mef\ComponentCatalog.cs:line 52&#x000D;&#x000A; at Clide.CommonComposition.ComponentCatalog..ctor(Assembly[] assemblies) in C:\projects\clide\src\Clide\External\CommonComposition.Mef\ComponentCatalog.cs:line 34&#x000D;&#x000A; at Clide.DevEnvFactory.InitializeContainer(IServiceProvider services) in C:\projects\clide\src\Clide\DevEnvFactory.cs:line 130&#x000D;&#x000A; at Clide.DevEnvFactory.&lt;Get&gt;b__3_0(IServiceProvider s) in C:\projects\clide\src\Clide\DevEnvFactory.cs:line 43&#x000D;&#x000A; at System.Collections.Concurrent.ConcurrentDictionary2.GetOrAdd(TKey key, Func`2 valueFactory) at Clide.DevEnvFactory.Get(IServiceProvider services) in C:\projects\clide\src\Clide\DevEnvFactory.cs:line 42 at Clide.DevEnv.Get(IServiceProvider serviceProvider) in C:\projects\clide\src\Clide\DevEnv.cs:line 46 at Clide.Host.Initialize(IServiceProvider hostingPackage, Boolean registerCommands, Boolean registerCommandFilters, Boolean registerCommandInterceptors, Boolean registerOptionPages) in C:\projects\clide\src\Clide\Host.cs:line 91 at Xamarin.VisualStudio.TastyPackage.Initialize() in C:\d\lanes\5156\fe36becf\source\xamarinvs\src\Core\VisualStudio\FlavorProject\TastyPackage.cs:line 162 at Xamarin.VisualStudio.Shell.XamarinShellPackage.Initialize() in C:\d\lanes\5156\fe36becf\source\xamarinvs\src\Core\VisualStudio.Shell\XamarinShellPackage.cs:line 70 at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Package.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsPackage.SetSite(IServiceProvider sp)
    {2D510815-1C4E-4210-BD82-3D9D2C56C140}

and

Error

VisualStudio
    LegacySitePackage failed for package [XamarinAndroidPackage]Source: 'Xamarin.VisualStudio' Description: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at Clide.Diagnostics.UserTraceExtensions.UserError(ITracer tracer, Exception exception, String format, Object[] args) in C:\d\lanes\5156\fe36becf\source\xamarinvs\src\Core\VisualStudio\Diagnostics\UserTraceExtensions.cs:line 77 at Xamarin.VisualStudio.Android.XamarinAndroidPackage.Initialize() in C:\d\lanes\5156\fe36becf\source\xamarinvs\src\Core\VisualStudio.Android\XamarinAndroidPackage.cs:line 170 at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Package.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsPackage.SetSite(IServiceProvider sp)
    {296E6A4E-2BD5-44B7-A96D-8EE3D9CDA2F6}

80004003 - E_POINTER

Does that help in any way?

--- EDIT #2
    Restarting the IDE after clearing the cache/temp results in VS freezing on loading the project again.

I downgraded, but now I have new issues. My droid proj has strange behavior.

• JohnMillerJohnMiller USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited October 10

Hey All,

If you are noticing errors opening existing projects or creating projects, please make sure that you update the MFractor extension to version 3.02.12 to continue using it and resolve the loading issues.

@JohnMiller said:
    Hey All,

If you are noticing errors opening existing projects or creating projects, please make sure that you update the MFractor extension to version 3.02.12 to continue using it and resolve the loading issues.

But I am working on VS (Windows). Projects are freezing if I am opening their.

@IgorStrekha said:

@JohnMiller said:
    Hey All,

But I am working on VS (Windows). Projects are freezing if I am opening their.

Same problem here as well. After i encountered the problem on my windows machine i didn't even try to update the mac.

• RobertKnoxRobertKnox USMember

@JohnMiller said:
    Hey All,

That appears to have fixed the problems for Visual Studio on Mac for me, thanks.

@IgorStrekha @ThomasGoerlich

I'll need more details for any issues on Windows. In the meantime, I am updating my VS to 15.4 to try and reproduce myself. If you can send me your logs (zipped) from the Help -> Xamarin -> Logs menu that might help.

@JohnMiller said:

I'll need more details for any issues on Windows. In the meantime, I am updating my VS to 15.4 to try and reproduce myself. If you can send me your logs (zipped) from the Help -> Xamarin -> Logs menu that might help.

i sent to private my zip of logs.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited October 10

Thanks for the feedback all. If any other issues come up that need additional investigation:

This will help ensure proper investigation of each issue. Thanks much!

• Matthew-RobbinsMatthew-Robbins AUInsider ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Matt here, creator of MFractor.

Firstly, massive apologies for this issue. This is a huge slip up on our part and we'll work doubly hard to make sure this doesn't happen again in the future.

As per @JohnMiller's instructions, update MFractor to v3.2.12 to resolve any compatibility issues.

If you need a hand upgrading or want to shake your fist in frustration at me, please email me at matthew@mfractor.com.

• HalilDoganBolakHalilDoganBolak USMember ✭✭
    edited October 11

@JohnMiller said:

Same here. IDE freezes during existing solution load (specifically all of the four projects (pcl, droid, ios and uwp projects) load but the solution does not and the freeze starts once the four projects are loaded). Cache cleanup mentioned above does not help. No specific error message in log files. I am on Windows 10 with VS 2015 Community 3. I do not have MFractor installed anywhere. Any suggestions ?

• dadude999dadude999 USMember ✭✭
    edited October 12

I was unable to create an Android virtual device using the instruction supplied at developer.xamarin.com/guides/android/platform_features/introduction-to-oreo/#Configure_an_Emulator_or_Device. I got an error about the ABI being 'default'. I snooped around a bit and traced it to the file (Android_SDK_Dir)/system-images/android-26/google_apis/x86/package.xml. In that file, I changed the value for the "abi" tag from 'default' to 'x86'.

and then avdmanager worked correctly and created the device. Looks like this may be a bug in the Android SDK itself.

• maxbromomaxbromo IDMember ✭✭
    edited October 12

@HalilDoganBolak said:

@JohnMiller said:

Same here. IDE freezes during existing solution load (specifically all of the four projects (pcl, droid, ios and uwp projects) load but the solution does not and the freeze starts once the four projects are loaded). Cache cleanup mentioned above does not help. No specific error message in log files. I am on Windows 10 with VS 2015 Community 3. I do not have MFractor installed anywhere. Any suggestions ?

Experiencing the same issue here. Restarting computer and repairing the Xamarin installation did not help.

@HalilDoganBolak @maxbromo
    @JohnMiller suggested i try to delete the .vs folder

There is a hidden folder where the .sln file is, .vs. Can you delete this folder and tell me if anything changes the next time you try the latest?

sadly i didn't have the time to try the latest release again yet. Maybe you guys can try and tell if this helps or not.

• maxbromomaxbromo IDMember ✭✭

@ThomasGoerlich
    got it working with your suggestion! Before deleting the .vs folder, I had already run the "repair" process from Programs and features on Xamarin and Visual Studio. After the repair, I was able to start visual studio and open the solution without freezing, but I was getting various warning messages similar to those in your first post. I then closed VS, deleted the hidden .vs folder, opened VS again and now things are running fine for me.

• HalilDoganBolakHalilDoganBolak USMember ✭✭

@ThomasGoerlich said:
    @HalilDoganBolak @maxbromo
    @JohnMiller suggested i try to delete the .vs folder

There is a hidden folder where the .sln file is, .vs. Can you delete this folder and tell me if anything changes the next time you try the latest?

sadly i didn't have the time to try the latest release again yet. Maybe you guys can try and tell if this helps or not.

Solution opens without a problem after deleting the .vs folder. UWP version of the Xamarin Forms app runs in debug mode without any problems. Will check other features and report if there are any problems.

Hello All,

For anyone using VS on Windows, and experiencing load hangs/freezes for Xamarin projects please add your version details and Logs (Zip and attach from Help > Xamarin > Zip Logs after the issue) to https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=60080.

After hearing that deleting the .vs folder worked for you guys i tried it myself and ... it did not help. At least not right away. I did the whole repair thing again from the VS setup (only took like 4 hours -.-) and now everything seems to be okay again so far.

• VictorKVictorK USMember
    edited October 12

I figured a work around for Visual Studio hanging - remove the android projects from solution and add it after solution is loaded.

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭

@dadude999 said:
    I was unable to create an Android virtual device using the instruction supplied at developer.xamarin.com/guides/android/platform_features/introduction-to-oreo/#Configure_an_Emulator_or_Device. I got an error about the ABI being 'default'. I snooped around a bit and traced it to the file (Android_SDK_Dir)/system-images/android-26/google_apis/x86/package.xml. In that file, I changed the value for the "abi" tag from 'default' to 'x86'.

and then avdmanager worked correctly and created the device. Looks like this may be a bug in the Android SDK itself.

thanks for this. you saved my day ;)

• dadude999dadude999 USMember ✭✭

@batmaci No problem buddy! Looks like Google needs to release a new build of the emulator (or avdmanager itself, depending on what the underlying problem is).

• LjusnanLjusnan DEMember ✭✭✭
    edited October 13

In my Android project I am using a custom theme and each time I build the project I get this
    Error: No resource found that matches the given name (at 'theme' with value '@style/CustomTheme').
    I am forced to use "rebuild" instead of "build" now. This is really annoying. Any help?

• MalalMalal USUniversity

Win10 with VS2017 since updating to this version the IOS Simulator is not launching either locally or on the mac build machine.

I have tried creating a new project and the IOS simulator launches fine.

Does anyone know what might be causing this, there are no errors in the output window, and after a quick look through the Xamarin logs I couldn't see anything that might be the cause.

• chetszotchetszot PLMember ✭✭

I have build problems after updating. Some of my projects cannot build, ending up with really messy and strange errors.
    I have created separated forum thread about this issue:
    https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/104920/strange-xamarin-android-build-errors-after-updating-vs-2017-to-15-4

And also created a bug:
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=60194

• DavidPlattDavidPlatt USUniversity

I have the same problem that Chetszot has, on both my Mac and Windows installations. I can't build Android today, no way no how. Non-good situation.

• DeveshMishraDeveshMishra USMember ✭✭
    edited October 16

Xamarin 4.7.10.22 updates, breaks XF existing projects

https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/105000/xamarin-4-7-10-22-updates-breaks-xf-existing-projects/p1?new=1

Any alternate to resolve this issue OR do i need to reinstall complete Visual Studio 2015 again which i want to avoid ?

• PaulJohnson.0531PaulJohnson.0531 GBMember ✭✭

The debugger is broken! https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=60201

Anywhere I can grab the previous stable release from (for Mac)?

• BrianConradBrianConrad USMember ✭✭

Noticing lockups and particularly doing a Clean on a solution is taking ridiculously long when it used to take less than a minute or two. Says Clean succeeded when it hasn't. After awhile VS is just locked up.

• chetszotchetszot PLMember ✭✭

@BrianConrad said:
    Noticing lockups and particularly doing a Clean on a solution is taking ridiculously long when it used to take less than a minute or two. Says Clean succeeded when it hasn't. After awhile VS is just locked up.

I also have this issue.

Moreover, I have now that problems with literally simplest operations:

Building bigger project -> VS hang
    Rebuilding solution -> VS hang
    Debugger reaching breakpoint -> VS hang

Working is now impossible. Literally I cannot work. EACH of those operations locks VS completely requiring me to manually kill it, restart and try again hiping it would work now.

edited October 16

lockups

Remember to follow John's comment from earlier in this thread about hangs:

For anyone using VS on Windows, and experiencing load hangs/freezes for Xamarin projects please add your version details and Logs (Zip and attach from Help > Xamarin > Zip Logs after the issue) to https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=60080

In fact, I would adjust that recommendation to suggest posting on the bug if you can provide either of the following pieces of information:

• The minidump without heap from the stuck instance of Visual Studio.
    • A zipped up minimal test case and steps to follow that consistently replicate the problem in your environment.

Most likely all of the reported hangs are being caused by the same call stack, so probably just 1 minidump and 1 test case will be sufficient. That said, if you see that a minidump has been attached on the bug report, and you have examined your minidump and determined that it doesn't match the one that's attached, do of course feel free to open a new bug report based on your minidump. Thanks in advance!

Edit: If you are using Visual Studio 2017, you can optionally instead follow the steps to provide a trace and heap dump and submit the item to Developer Community via the Report a Problem tool.

• AndrewMobileAndrewMobile USMember ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17

All the posts here look so scary to me. Does the latest release actually work to anyone? :neutral:

Is there a list with all known issues up to this day?

• seanydaseanyda GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone else get this issue? In the previous release it was fixed but in this one it seems to have broke again. In all the releases before the previous one it wasn't working either.

• PaulJohnson.0531PaulJohnson.0531 GBMember ✭✭

It looks like the debug issue is down to async. Break points on non-async calls seem to be fine. Most of the time at least

Does anyone else get this issue?

(About the iOS Bundle Signing pane.)

Yes, another user has mentioned this on the Developer Community item associated with the older symptom from the earlier version. An internal tracking issue has been opened for the reappearance of the behavior in Visual Studio for Mac 2017 (7.2). In the mean time, one possible fix is to install Xamarin.Mac (for example by enabling the macOS checkbox in the Visual Studio for Mac installer). I believe there are plans to more strictly enforce the installation of Xamarin.Mac as a dependency for Xamarin.iOS in the future.

This discussion has been closed.