Why Xamarin iOS Preview isn't working after update?

Hello,

I'm using Xamarin Studio Community 6.3 (build 864) along with Visual Studio Community for Mac 7.0.1 (build 24). I'm using both IDE's because the compiler in Xamarin Studio is refusing to stop at pinpointed breakpoints while the Visual Studio compiler is refusing to build the iOS project.

The project I'm working on is using Xamarin Forms 2.3.4.224. It is showing that an update is available to 2.4, but honestly I don't want to risk jeopardizing my working project at this phase. Because every update I've tried in Xamarin has proved to have some very painful side effects on my work.

I had things under control until the latest Apple iOS release when I had to update the Xamarin.iOS framework, and then had to update Xcode in order to be able to build the iOS project again. But after all now I'm having trouble loading XAML preview in either IDE.

The Android preview has never worked from the get go, so I was entirely relying on the iOS preview in building my views and now that has also been damaged for the most ridiculous of reasons. As you see it is telling me that Xcode 7.0 or later is required to render these documents. I'm already using Xcode 9.0 thanks to the latest update, and I don't wish to update the Xamarin Forms framework I'm using at this point. Maybe that would've been possible if I'm still starting the project.

I wish I can take back these silly updates, but I can't. So would any of you have an idea about making the XAML previewer work again without doing any further updates?

Best Answer

• AhmedElashkerAhmedElashker USMember ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Today I checked for updates on Visual Studio. There was a new update for Visual Studio itself. I downloaded and installed the update and now the previewer is finally working again on iOS.

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm using Xamarin Studio Community 6.3

Xamarin Studio is long past end-of-life... not updated any more etc. If you're getting odd behavior and lack of support for current features that wouldn't be surprising.

Stick with just Visual Studio. I'm not saying there a known problem, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that XS is messing up the content of the of the project files or config files just because it is out of date.

• LyndonHugheyLyndonHughey USUniversity ✭✭✭

Stop using the Xamarin previewer and look at LiveXaml. It is a much better product and has no issues with base classes as well static/dynamic styles. It has a free trial and you wont run into all of the errors. Xamarin really should purchase LiveXaml.

I think you can simplify things by updating XF to 2.4 and just using VS for mac. Xam studio is just adding more confusion at this point. After you've done that, install LiveXaml to your pcl or netstandard project and keep it moving.

Guys, I have no problem with using Visual Studio. My problem is that it won't build my iOS project successfully. Check this build error from VS. Knowing that it builds and deploys successfully on Xamarin Studio.

/Users/ahmedelashker/Projects/FANR/iOS/MTOUCH: Error MT2101: Can't resolve the reference 'System.Net.TransportContext', referenced from the method 'System.Threading.Tasks.Task RestSharp.Portable.HttpClient.Impl.Http.HttpContentWrapper::SerializeToStreamAsync(System.IO.Stream,System.Net.TransportContext)' in 'System.Net.Http.Primitives, Version=1.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'. (MT2101) (FANR.iOS)

I've seen oddities like this with vs mac from time to time concerning certain nugets that don't transfer over. It looks like the issue is with RestSharp. Have you tried removing the nuget, and redownloading it?

@LyndonHughey said:
    I've seen oddities like this with vs mac from time to time concerning certain nugets that don't transfer over. It looks like the issue is with RestSharp. Have you tried removing the nuget, and redownloading it?

Fair enough. I wasn't using it anymore anyway. Now I'm able to use Visual Studio. But that still doesn't solve my issue with Xaml previewer.

@LyndonHughey said:
    Stop using the Xamarin previewer and look at LiveXaml. It is a much better product and has no issues with base classes as well static/dynamic styles. It has a free trial and you wont run into all of the errors. Xamarin really should purchase LiveXaml.

I think you can simplify things by updating XF to 2.4 and just using VS for mac. Xam studio is just adding more confusion at this point. After you've done that, install LiveXaml to your pcl or netstandard project and keep it moving.

Actually I'm looking for a permanent free tool or solution. What can I do to make Xaml previewer work again on Visual Studio for Mac.

@AhmedElashker said:

@LyndonHughey said:

Actually I'm looking for a permanent free tool or solution. What can I do to make Xaml previewer work again on Visual Studio for Mac.

I'm glad you got it working.

As for the official Xamarin previewer? I haven't used in about 3 months. But my experience was that I needed to copy styles to the local page I was testing, and limit or eliminate the use of base classes. I had a page or two in my app that I called "TestPage.xaml" that I used to test my markup in. It wasn't very productive when I used it. Thats why i began using the other product. Good luck. If you have a good experience with it, please update the thread. I'm sure there are lots of others who would be interested in your success with it.

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually I'm looking for a permanent free tool or solution.

Why is nobody wants to pay for tools? Mechanics buy their tools. So do plumbers, doctors and most other professions. But rookie coders think everything should be free.

Let me just point out that you want to get paid for the work you do... You want people to buy your software, right? You might consider you'll need to do the same.

@ClintStLaurent said:

Actually I'm looking for a permanent free tool or solution.

Why is nobody wants to pay for tools? Mechanics buy their tools. So do plumbers, doctors and most other professions. But rookie coders think everything should be free.

Let me just point out that you want to get paid for the work you do... You want people to buy your software, right? You might consider you'll need to do the same.

Hey!. I'm not looking here for some advanced tool. This was working and should still be working. All other IDE's with their UI previewers are free. From the way I see it the guys who built this purchasable previewer tool are only taking advantage of Xamarin's flaws and slackness.

Plus, this is not really my call to make. I'm only doing this as a job, and I ain't no rookie. So please only tap in if you have something productive to say.

• SanaAbrahamSanaAbraham INMember ✭✭

The project should be compiled before attempting to preview XAML files. The Designer Agent must be set-up the first time you preview a XAML file. Try closing and re-opening the XAML file.

@SanaAbraham said:
    The project should be compiled before attempting to preview XAML files. The Designer Agent must be set-up the first time you preview a XAML file. Try closing and re-opening the XAML file.

I have tried all possibilities. I cleaned and built the project many, many times. With removing bin and obj folders. I even took a chance and upgraded to the latest Xamarin Forms package after the latest Xamarin libraries updates. Still nothing.

Ok. So now after installing the new JDK for Mac --> jdk-8u144-macosx-x64

When I open the XAML previewer for Android on VS I get this

Accepted Answer

Today I checked for updates on Visual Studio. There was a new update for Visual Studio itself. I downloaded and installed the update and now the previewer is finally working again on iOS.