Any actual documentation on the profiler?

GVxGVx USMember ✭✭✭

Yes I know there is a small write up on the website but I am talking about documentation on every single part of the application.

For example what does LIVE mean, why do some items in the class field have a blue dot on the very left and most don't... What's the difference between the startup options of Allocations and Memory... Do you really need to keep taking snapshots until Object Growth equals 0 to then start finding whats leaking... What does Size Growth represent... What does -3 represent in Object growth... When viewing a snapshot whats the little blue thing in the size column, some have it, others dont... What does Paths to roots mean and how does it help me... When i want to compare snapshots should i stop running the app or does it not matter... So I take a snapshot #1 and then five more snapshots, now what, I am supposed to find memory leaks how?

You know, some proper knowledge rather than a simple example which shows a very simple case on how to use the app...

Oh, it's enterprise only is it? Hence nobody is using it so it doesn't need proper documentation ?? wonderful.....

Best Answer

Answers

• GVxGVx USMember ✭✭✭

oh cool... your response is very much appreciated... I have a better idea of what I am looking for now... :)

@RodrigoMoya said:
    We don't have much documentation, sorry :( I'll take this opportunity to raise it to our docs team.

• what do you mean by 'startup options of allocations and memory'?

oh cool... your response is very much appreciated... I have a better idea of what I am looking for now... :)

When the profiler starts up it has 4 options.... One is 'Allocations - Analyzes the memory usage by tracking object allocations' and another is 'Memory - Find memory-related problems'... I was confused as to what the difference is.. ??

• RodrigoMoyaRodrigoMoya ESXamarin Team Xamurai

Yes, we need some better clarification there I guess. That list shows "templates", which are a combination of 1 or more instruments. Right now, we only have 3 instruments (Allocations, Time and Cycles), so the templates each correspond to each of these instruments, except for 'Memory', which includes Allocations and Cycles instruments.

This feature is there so that, when we have more instruments, we show templates for the combinations of them that make more sense, and, in a not too distant feature, allow the user to create his/her own templates. So, again, maybe we should make it clearer